Should we change the forum platform to MyBB? (like Rooshv's forum)

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.

Should we change the forum software to MyBB? (like Rooshv's forum)

Yes. MyBB looks nicer and has better features. If Rooshv's forum does well with it, then that's a good indicator.
40%
No. I prefer the forum the way it is.
47%
No. I think you should upgrade to phpBB3 instead.
13%

Total votes: 15
Winston
Site Admin

Should we change the forum platform to MyBB? (like Rooshv's forum)

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
Eurobrat and I were talking today about the forum theme. How about this: Instead of upgrading the forum to the new version of phpbb3, how about we change the forum software altogether to MyBB, which is what the Rooshv forum uses? Here is what the MyBB theme looks like on Rooshv's forum.

http://www.rooshvforum.com

MyBB has some features that phpBB doesn't, such as the reputation system where you can vote or like posts and members. (which would be Jester's dream come true lol). Here is a list of their features.

http://www.mybb.com/features/

MyBB also has a merge system which will easily convert this forum's database into theirs.

http://www.mybb.com/download/merge-system/

What do you all think? Should we just change over to MyBB rather than upgrade to phpBB3? The theme on MyBB looks nicer than the phpBB3 templates I think. Plus if it works well for Rooshv's forum, which gets a lot of traffic, then that's a good indicator, don't you think?

Let's do a poll on this. Cast your vote above!
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

This forum works well, but should be upgraded to the newest version.

If you change to another forum software, you might run into unexpected troubles when transferring data and it might take a long time until all is operating normally again.

The poll is missing the option to choose other forum software, like IP-Board and others.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Winston that reputation system is horrible PLEASE DO NOT BRING IT TO THIS FORUM! It is so childish and reminds me of high school cliques. Absolutely don't change the forum to be like Roosh's that would be a disaster.

Also, you want to make sure the avatars remain the same size they are now (200 by 300 pixels). Just leave the forum the way it is now.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

There's one problem I forgot to mention. If we change over to MyBB, the forum software will probably rewrite all the URL's of the threads differently than phpBB. This means that all the links to forum threads on this site will be broken. I doubt if they can keep the URL's the same. I'll check the support forum of MyBB and see.

I like MyBB. But is it worth this consequence? All the interlinks in the forum will be broken.

But there is one advantage. MyBB writes the forum URL's with words in them, which is better for search engine optimization (SEO), rather than numbers like we have now. That could benefit us in the long run, because each thread will be ranked better in Google.

It's a tough call. What do you think?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Poll: Should we change the forum to MyBB? (like Rooshv's

Post by Winston »

Are you guys satisfied with this forum platform? If not, do you prefer myBB like Rooshv's forum? Please vote in the poll above. I've changed the poll to allow re-voting if you've already cast your vote and want to change your mind.

Here are some webpages comparing myBB to phpBB. It seems most people prefer myBB.

https://cms2cms.com/blog/mybb-vs-phpbb-choose-migrate/

http://www.webmastersun.com/threads/113 ... ng-a-forum

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads ... b.1070867/

http://www.softaculous.com/board/index. ... b_or_phpbb

http://www.nairaland.com/3335881/mybb-p ... t-creating

fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Poll: Should we migrate the forum to MyBB? (like Rooshv'

Post by fschmidt »

Remember that all members of modern culture are vile human scum who hate what is good and love what is bad. Therefore everything that is popular is shit, and everything that is good is unpopular. If MyBB is becoming popular, then it must be shit. To confirm, I visited Rooshv's forum and I found no equivalent to "View Active Topics". So MyBB is shit, as I would expect. All popular modern software lack basic features while having millions of stupid useless features. Popular modern software is unstable, unreliable, unscalable, and generally just horrible. If you have anything old that works, just stick with it.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Yes..Most definitely...

Nowadays..Most users do not care about features as much as a good design for first impression.

UI Development is given more priority in companies than backend software...which is Mostly SQL.

The final say is always with the User Interface Developer in big companies. The scalability, Security needs to be figured out by the backend team ...The first priority of any company is UI

People do not care which software you use, as long as it looks good which frankly Roosh one looks better right now even though the content is crappy :) :)

You should go with myBB ..It also has all the needed features like View New Content, Todays Content, Top content etc

Also with myBB and VBulletin...Google Adsense can be inserted in many places..inside posts as well 8)
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

fschmidt wrote:Remember that all members of modern culture are vile human scum who hate what is good and love what is bad. Therefore everything that is popular is shit, and everything that is good is unpopular. If MyBB is becoming popular, then it must be shit. To confirm, I visited Rooshv's forum and I found no equivalent to "View Active Topics". So MyBB is shit, as I would expect. All popular modern software lack basic features while having millions of stupid useless features. Popular modern software is unstable, unreliable, unscalable, and generally just horrible. If you have anything old that works, just stick with it.
:lol: :lol: Can't agree more!

Add to it unresponsive, unintelligible states, system hoarding, just horrid interfaces, etc etc
I read the Facebook app has like 18,000 classes LMAO

Big opportunities though, let them all keep producing crap!
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rooshv forum does have a View New Posts tab. But you cant view it as a guest. So its not very lurker friendly. I suppose some hacks can be added to make it have an active topics page or latest 100 topics page too.

Fschmidt, i agree. But i didnt say mybb is more popular. More people use phpbb forum in fact, so in a sense phpbb is more common. However, it seems that reviewers and forum owners that have tried both platforms tend to prefer mybb. See the links above to read what they said. So people seem to like mybb more if they tried both.

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I hate it when forums change, but at the same time I guess we should move with the times.

I'm currently building my own forum (from scratch - don't worry it's not in HA's niche). I'm doing this because I am mad. But also because custom forums tend to stay under the radar of scammers a bit.

What I hate about phpBB is it's a major effort to upgrade. If you've got custom mods then it's a real hassle to put them all back again. Also I don't know php very well.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Poll: Should we switch the forum platform to MyBB? (like Rooshv's)

Post by Winston »

More articles and discussions comparing phpbb to mybb. What do you think? Should we have started with mybb in the first place? The interface does look a lot more simple, clean and trouble free.

https://cms2cms.com/blog/mybb-vs-phpbb-choose-migrate/

https://community.mybb.com/post-1133507.html

https://community.mybb.com/post-269395.html

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2184496

https://www.topattack.com/compare/phpbb-vs-mybb/148/150

https://webcosmoforums.com/mybb-vs-phpbb/

Well from reading these articles and discussions, it seems that while it's true that mybb is easier to set up and operate and maintain, and more trouble free too, it lacks any good graphics that phpbb has. The themes on mybb are mostly just text with white background, which is clean and neat, but overly simple with no colors or character. You can see this on Rooshv's forum, it's simple and clean and neat, but no graphics or character. It's almost too simple. Also, phpbb seems to have more security and is less vulnerable to malware and hackers, whereas mybb has more vulnerabilities and is less secure. So mybb is great for newbies that don't want any challenges or obstacles, but it's less powerful and less secure than phpbb.

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Poll: Should we change the forum platform to MyBB? (like Rooshv's forum)

Post by Yohan »

I would be careful to do this, better maybe to update this present forum to the newest version.

If you change to a different forum software you might face unexpected troubles when importing the databank of this forum...
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yohan wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 3:38 am
I would be careful to do this, better maybe to update this present forum to the newest version.

If you change to a different forum software you might face unexpected troubles when importing the databank of this forum...
The forum has just been upgraded to the latest version of phpbb. Didn't you see the announcement thread about it?

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=36653

Yes true. A new platform could cause all kinds of problems. Plus I'd have to relearn a whole new platform and how to operate it too. A lot of trouble, especially since I got too much on my plate and too many other things to do. But mybb does look very attractive and clean, which you will notice from Rooshv Forum.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Should we change the forum platform to MyBB? (like Rooshv's forum)

Post by Winston »

Do you guys think we should convert the forum to mybb like Rooshv's forum uses? I did some research online and people say mybb is more smooth and simple with less bugs and easier to upgrade. Forum crashes will probably occur less there. What do you guys think? If you haven't voted in the poll above yet, do so now.

I know human nature is resistant to change, but sometimes changes are necessary and better. The only drawback is that if this forum is migrated to mybb, the internal links may no longer work because mybb has a different link structure and may not be able to redirect phpbb links to mybb style links.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yohan wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 3:38 am

I've upgraded this forum many times but the bugs are always still there and the database is very sensitive and crashes at the smallest thing. Even if I do a check on all the database tables, it can cause the posts table to crash. That's ridiculous. Newer versions don't change that. Maybe there is a deep corruption in the database. Who knows. That's why migrating the forum to a new platform may be the best choice.

Another problem is that it's a pain in the butt to update phpbb, because you have to upload files into the forum and cross your fingers and hope nothing goes wrong during the update process. If something goes wrong, you have to ask the phpbb developers at their forum and they have an attitude where they always wanna blame the webhost rather than fix the problem. I hate that. Then after you update the forum, you have to update all the themes and mods and extensions too by uploading new files into their respective folders, all of which is a huge hassle. Then when you are all done, they come out with a new version and you have to do it all again. (sigh) That's so crazy. However, I heard the updating process with mybb is easy and involves only a click of a button, like it should be. That's a huge advantage and worth considering.

Sure problems could arise during the migration. However, the good news is that with computers, anything can be fixed if you have the technical know how. Unlike reality, with computers any problem can be fixed, it's just a matter of finding the way. Sure I am no expert on forum migration, but I can always pay some expert to do it too, if I have to.