Poll: Does Winston give a damn about his own forum?

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.

Poll: Does Winston give a damn about his own forum?

No, he doesn't get rid of trolls or clean up the spam since they make it look more active. Claiming he had to let all trolls back in due to a technicality was just an excuse
50%
Intermediate opinion
14%
Yes, but he is so hell bent on free speech that prefers to err on the side of freedom.
17%
Does Winston really make a living out of this?
19%

Total votes: 36
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Poll: Does Winston give a damn about his own forum?

Post by Yohan »

I think Winston fails often to clean up spammers, he is not checking this forum on a daily basis, but otherwise?

I can only say, this is a free speech forum with very little restrictions.
While I am more active in another forum, I use his forum too from time to time.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Note:

To give you negative assholes a chance to redeem yourselves, I've just edited the poll so you can change your vote if you like. This way we can see how many of you love truth and are willing to vote the most ACCURATE option rather than the most negative option just for the hell of it or to use Winston as a punching bag. So we can see how many have changed their minds, if any. Since opinions are not fixed and subject to change, I think it's a good idea to set polls so that voters can chance their mind and change their vote if they want. To change your vote, simply select the other option above and click Submit vote. In this case though, the OP allows you to select two options, so you may pick two of the above.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

For anyone seeking an alternative to this forum, here is a similar forum related to this one with the same theme, and is active.

http://singlemansparadise.com/forum/

But I think most or all of you are just barking soundbytes for entertainment, fun and to use me as your punching bag. This thread is mostly about entertainment, not truth or seriousness. After you post here, you continue on starting new topics about many things, as can be seen on the Active Topics page.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Winston wrote:For anyone seeking an alternative to this forum, here is a similar forum related to this one with the same theme, and is active.

http://singlemansparadise.com/forum/

But I think most or all of you are just barking soundbytes for entertainment, fun and to use me as your punching bag. This thread is mostly about entertainment, not truth or seriousness. After you post here, you continue on starting new topics about many things, as can be seen on the Active Topics page.
It's mostly focused on Thailand and a bit less on other parts of SE Asia. Most of the forum members seem to be either in Thailand or obsessed with going back there. Not enough variety, although there are a few crazy posts, not as many as here! Seems to be one of those younger guys who likes to discuss how awesome he is for moving out of the matrix, which is okay but gets annoying after a while.

The forum software he uses is cooler and seems to have more modern options for expressing oneself than this one though.

Why can't you use one of the more modernized forum software, then instead of trying to transfer everything to it, create two parallel forums? So you start up the new forum and include the various topics that you desire then have all NEW postings on the new forum, then have master back links to the original forum for anyone that wants to look at old postings. Your old forum would still be up and indexed on the internet but yet no new posters including spammers. This way you could start fresh again with the newest and better made forum software and hopefully it has better anti-spamming than the one your currently using. Also, rehash the forum rules and whatnot to entice previous members to return and attract new ones.You could also do this for your main sight, start developing a new modern one and start moving articles from the original one to the new one but keep the old one going until the new one is complete. You could also create a back link to the original one for nostalgic reasons and reference.

What I was talking about from my previous post, here's a synopsis. I was mainly saying that what people wanted to do on the internet social-wise is different in the 00's to what is is in the 10's and beyond. From my observations people want to express themselves though pictures, gifs, anicons, etc while also having an easy to use interface that posts and updates rapidly. This is why FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc are popular nowadays with people under 40. Us supposed tech dinosaurs over 40 are used to mostly text based websites with minimal pic entertainment and expressionism, we can do that through language, but the younger adults don't really do that much and/or are not as interested. Thus, each year there is going to be a continuous divide of users who use these kinds of platforms unless it's modernized with the times to attract ALL demographic groups. So although the site still has traffic I don't see many new quality posts being put up anymore. I think most people are reading older posts and not posting and those who are here posting are the extreme minority outliers that don't conform to any norms in society and come here to find like-wise individuals even though many have animosity towards each other and their opinions but still enjoy the intellectual stimulus and openness this site provides that many others do not. (they are also not posting or rarely anymore as well)

For this site to remain relevant moving forward and to continue expanding rather than running on fumes from the 00's and early 10's, it has to be modernized to attract those who are used to easy to use websites and minimal interference to post and also maybe a tweaking of the posting rules. The FB group has just under 1000 members but that doesn't necessarily mean it's active. I'd say maybe there are less than 20 that post semi-regularly and it's mostly just reposting of articles from other sites, very few independent commentary going on. I occasionally post stuff but it's just articles that the group would find interesting, I don't generally write my thoughts there.

Anyways, we know this all takes work and would be a serious commitment to upgrade the website and forum and probably why your reluctant to do it and commit to it and just lash out at us saying we don't know what we're talking about. If you don't believe us, you should hire someone who has no clue or interest in your site to do a non-partial analysis of it in relation to it's efficiency, marketing and income stream/revenue generation to get a non-biased review and recommendation regarding how to improve your website operation.

I'm just using my intuition as well as judgment skills to see how the internet is trending and how to prevent your website and forum from becoming a minimal active site and just being read because of old postings (many of it now dated). BTW, even though right now I don't have any active website presence doesn't mean I don't have an idea of whats going on behind the scenes. I actually have a piece of paper saying I completed a 4 year degree program in computer multimedia and design. I had to learn to use all kinds of programs including Javas script, C++, HTML, Pearl, Photoshop, Illustrator, Authorware, Flash, etc. When I finished school and was looking for work my school didn't inform us that many companies were sending these kinds of jobs to Asia and only highly skilled and experienced individuals could get work in the states so because I had bills to pay and my learning style is through experience rather than just memorization and book learning, I had to take on work as tech support at a cell phone company. Then once I knew what the hell I was doing there, the company told us they were moving all the positions to California and you had to reapply there and employment still wasn't guaranteed! I said F-this, and that's when I decided to have my escape from America. I finally realized that all jobs that had any chance at decent money that could be outsourced, were being outsourced to other countries. So I decided to beat them at their own game, reinvent myself again and move overseas and start teaching English.

That went ok for a while until now outsourcing is being replaced by AUTOMATION and cyber connectivity work. So in relation to what I'm doing now employers want either AI programs to do it or it's being done virtually through the computer and sent to God knows where. Again, I have to reinvent myself to swim through the muddied waters that globalism and technocracy is thrusting upon us. I'll probably have to retrain myself to start putting together websites on my own with varying themes to generate income. Although, I haven't been doing it for a decade or more, it doesn't mean I'm a dummy and can't see the writing on the wall in relation to older style sites like this one and what will be come of them in relation to traffic schemes a few years from now.

If you can't do all this on your own anymore because of various distractions, you should pay someone or outside company to do it for you or partner with someone that shares a similar vision that you can trust and your not going to get Fd over in the process.

This is just my updated advice on the matter.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Guys,
Check this out. Billy told me that the flat earth topic has polluted the Rooshv forum too. I found it. Here it is. lol

https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-36254.html

They also have a thread on the "mountains = giant ancient silicon tree stumps" theory too, aka "There are no forests on flat earth". lol

https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-57725.html

So how come Rooshv's forum members aren't chirping and barking about how "flat earth is taking over their forum" just because of that one thread, like you guys are? lol. Why the double standard? Is it because Roosh's people respect him and fear him more, because of his strict ban policy, whereas you guys take advantage of me and use me as your "punching bag" simply because I am too nice to you and allow free speech? lol. Don't you think that's dysfunctional of you guys? Do you see the darkness of your actions and soul in doing that? lol. Why can't you guys be more reasonable and fair?

Just because I'm open minded about "a crazy topic" doesn't mean that I have a character flaw. I am a true skeptic and so I question things I am taught, even if they sound crazy or off the wall like flat earth. So what? Is being open minded such a bad thing? How do you know what's true and what's not? Just because official science or the establishment says something, doesn't make it true. We all know that. So what's wrong with being open minded and questioning things? I don't understand you guys' logic. It makes no sense. Besides, there's only one topic about flat earth here anyway. One topic out of 23,000 topics. So it's not like it's polluting the forum. And like I said, you can always choose to ignore it, just like you ignore stupid channels on cable TV or in the YouTube sidebar of related videos.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Mr S,
Thanks for your comments. But how is the single mans paradise forum any more cool or modern than our forum? I don't see it. It's just using a simple forum template with white background and less features and buttons than us. Maybe it looks a little cleaner yeah. But so what? As long as a forum is fully functional, isn't that what counts?

Your idea of dividing this forum into two is an interesting idea. I didn't think of that. So I will have to weigh the pros and cons of that. It may make things more complicated though, if people here have to browse topics between two forums. Besides, when people search topics, it will be on this forum, so how will they comment if this forum is locked? It just doesn't seem like a feasible solution. Too many drawbacks.

Another solution is to find a programmer to redirect links here to the new forum. Or try to make the new forum have the same link structure. But this is complicated though and not something a layman can do.

For example, if we switch to myBB, which is the forum that Rooshv forum uses, we would have to find a way to redirect internal links to the new structure properly. It's very tricky and involves tampering with deep codes which could be risky. One mistake and the whole forum crashes. You see how sensitive all this is?

Btw, the single mans paradise forum uses this software:
https://xenforo.com/

I haven't heard of it before so I wouldn't use such an unknown platform, at least without researching neutral expert opinions about it first, and comparison reviews as well.

As for myBB, they have a merge system for migrating from phpBB, which is what we use.

https://mybb.com/download/merge-system/

But I'm not sure how it will update internal links.

We should also do a poll here to see if most people here prefer that we change the forum platform to myBB. However, I need to know some real valid reasons why you guys don't like this phpBB template.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Actually Mr S, we do have a poll about whether we should migrate this forum to myBB or not. The results are about even.

viewtopic.php?t=24269

Besides, what guarantee do I have that once we move to myBB, the guys here won't start complaining about the new platform again? lol. You know how people are. They love to complain, especially the folks here. lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw, the Rooshv forum now has a board for conspiracy topics and other wacky topics as well. It's called "Deep Forum". Check it out. You will see conspiracy topics in it too.

https://www.rooshvforum.com/forum-37.html

So how come the guys there aren't complaining about it like you guys are?????????? How come??????????

Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

Winston wrote:Mr S,
Btw, the single mans paradise forum uses this software:
https://xenforo.com/

I haven't heard of it before so I wouldn't use such an unknown platform, at least without researching neutral expert opinions about it first, and comparison reviews as well.
It is supposed to provide better security than other kinds of forum software.

Here is a site which recently switched from vBulletin to Xenforo:

http://www.politicalforum.com/index.php ... er.498930/
Most people who use message boards are familiar with Xenforo by now, so the interface should be familiar to everyone. What some of you may not realize is that Xenforo is a much more secure platform than vBulletin. I won’t go into all the lengthy technical details, but the important thing to keep in mind is that Xenforo is specifically written to provide a fundamentally secure interface to a greater degree than any other forum software.

In addition to the greatly improved security, Xenforo offers a much more user-friendly experience. You’ll find that the site should load faster and be more stable. Searches will be quicker and more comprehensive.

Xenforo is designed to adapt more smoothly to every kind of device, which means the pages will display cleanly and completely no matter what device you are using. Improved search engine optimization features will draw more viewers to the site, thus increasing the pool of members to add to community discussions.

People who like to blog or add photos, albums, and videos should find that Xenforo is much more user-friendly. In almost every respect, Xenforo should be an improvement on the old vBulletin software.

Keep in mind that for some time now, members have been unhappy with some of the features of the site – even the most basic features – not working properly. This should fix just about all of that. Many of the problems were because the add-ons and plug-ins were outdated and no longer compatible (either with the basic vBulletin architecture, or even with one another), and in some cases could not be replaced - because better, more current versions of the same feature were not compatible with the old vBulletin software. That’s not going to be a problem with Xenforo.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Traveler,
Interesting. Not to mention that spam software is designed to target the most popular forum platforms like phpbb or vbulletin, not Xenforo. That factor alone will reduce a lot of spam on Xenforo I'm sure.

However, I'd like to see more neutral unbiased expert reviews comparing Xenforo to other software, like in my links above. If most unbiased forum owners say they prefer Xenforo, then that would mean more than just one webpage saying that it's better than vbulletin. When you search reviews, you should read at least 5 or 10 to get a more comprehensive picture.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Back when my local city forum migrated to new ownership and software, we simply put the old forum in read only mode accessible via link from new forum page.

My $0.02 has always been that the title of his forum is Happier Abroad and therefore that should be the forum's main/only focus. Everything that deviates from it is a distraction, but can be permitted under off topic area.

If you would rather run a broad topic forum for men, then maybe that's what you should consider for new forum software/setup. An example is Taiwan's JKF forum: https://www.jkforum.net/forum.php
Mark_in_Bangkok
Freshman Poster

Post by Mark_in_Bangkok »

Cornfed wrote:
January 25th, 2017, 10:07 pm
... the intent of these trolls is clearly to destroy the forum by burying it under crap.

Exactly!

And, that same pattern repeats on every other public forum I've seen which is devoted to expat living and men traveling to other countries.

I can't change the actions of any forum owner, but I can adjust my own.
My method is to mention a topic on a public forum, along with a few comments to demonstrate my thinking, and then invite private messages for more thoughtful discussion.

Happy to discuss more about this ... in private messages.
Member: Thailand Expats Email Discussion.
Membership inquiries welcome; send private message to me on this forum.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Winston wrote:
March 11th, 2017, 11:58 am
Btw, the Rooshv forum now has a board for conspiracy topics and other wacky topics as well. It's called "Deep Forum". Check it out. You will see conspiracy topics in it too.

https://www.rooshvforum.com/forum-37.html

So how come the guys there aren't complaining about it like you guys are?????????? How come??????????
Winston, you should not base what you do on the Rooshv Forum. Rooshv forum is not what it used to be. At one time, it was about 50% travel or living abroad. I just counted the new post and it's only 7.5% about travel or living abroad. Game had fallen a lot too. Other topics are making up more and more of the forum. It has it's own version of tolls, young PUAs that claim to bang a different girl every night. Young wide-eyed newbies hang on every word they post. Roosh allows them to post threads of crap just to keep the PUA fallacy alive. The main problem is that Roosh is no longer a traveler and the leader of a movement. He's become an old sedate man in his 30s. Forums started by a blogger leaders have to have an active leader who is doing exciting things to keep the interest up. I guess most of the guys that start forums run out of gas after a while. :?
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

Adama wrote:
April 27th, 2018, 10:24 am
This website was down for about 16 hours, and I thought to myself, "Surely, Winston's site has been demolished by the phantom predators, which JDBigBaller spoke of." Then I emailed Winston, the great, and he said it was merely a discrepancy. No evildoers trying to hack or destroy. So I guess things are safe. For now.
Isn't it sad that you had to email Winston about the site being down? The domain expired and Winston forgot to renew it. I suspect he never checks the email address associated with the account.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

TruthSeeker wrote:
April 27th, 2018, 9:21 pm
Adama wrote:
April 27th, 2018, 10:24 am
This website was down for about 16 hours, and I thought to myself, "Surely, Winston's site has been demolished by the phantom predators, which JDBigBaller spoke of." Then I emailed Winston, the great, and he said it was merely a discrepancy. No evildoers trying to hack or destroy. So I guess things are safe. For now.
Isn't it sad that you had to email Winston about the site being down? The domain expired and Winston forgot to renew it. I suspect he never checks the email address associated with the account.
I didn't forget to renew it. It's on auto renew. It's just that my credit cards expired on my Godaddy account, which hosts my domain names, so the auto renew failed and since I am too busy in Angeles City to notice, and never have time to check email, I didn't know about it until recently. I already fixed the problem though. This time I added more credit cards and even my bank account to my Godaddy account, as backup payment methods so this doesn't happen again.