Guest posting is now disabled. Please log in or create an account to post. Thanks.

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.

Should we allow guest postings in the forum?

Yes. It would allow more people to participate and post without having to create an account. This is good for people who wish to remain anonymous and private. Try it out, but put the guest posts on moderation of course.
27%
No. It would invite a lot of trolls and haters to post nasty, hateful comments here without reprise or accountability.
73%
Don't care. Indifferent. No opinion.
No votes

Total votes: 11
Winston
Site Admin

Guest posting is now disabled. Please log in or create an account to post. Thanks.

Post by Winston »

Do you all think we should allow guest postings in the forum? I think it's a double edged sword.

On the one hand, it would make it easier for guests and lurkers to submit posts, because they can do so anonymously without an account or the hassle of registering. This is good for people who don't want to be identified and wish to remain anonymous. So it can increase participation and activity here. But on the other hand, it also attracts trolls, haters, flamers and random people to post nasty, hateful comments without reprise or accountability too.

What do you all think? Should we try it? We can put all guest postings into the moderation queue first of course, so that they'd have to be approved by a moderator first.

Cast your vote above.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
HappyGuy

Re: Should we allow guest postings in the forum?

Post by HappyGuy »

Allow members to see their posts during the provisional period but other anons should only see them after they've been verified by other members or moderators. Have a Visitor section just for anons and spammers to post whatever they wish and visible to everyone without requiring a provisional period. Make a separate shoutbox just for that section so visitors have a chatroom to post something that will be gone in a week if they don't want to make a forum post that will be there a long time. And appoint a couple more mods or junior mods to delete or move blatant spam to the trash section. Have a trash section so those new mods can't cut down on the fun but can still keep spam out of the main forum, in that section the posts are deleted later automatically after a week or by Winston or the mods.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

That's too complicated HappyGuy. What is an anon btw?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

The phpbb support staff don't recommend guest posting. See here:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2163297

HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

Winston wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 12:07 am
That's too complicated
No it's not and you should've done this years ago to allow (intelligent) anonymous visitors to leave pertinent comments. If they see how friendly the forum is they might register and stay. Many think it's too much of a hassle because registering on other forums is tedious so they don't join HA not knowing it only takes a few seconds here.
Winston wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 12:43 am
The phpbb support staff don't recommend guest posting.
There won't be a problem with spam. Not if we take the precautions I suggested. In any case try it, it's good to experiment things every year. The pros of new people and new ideas outweigh the cons of brief annoyance.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

You might try it out for a while, but such anonymous comments have to be checked/requires moderation before allowing them to appear and this takes time - who will do that? Even now moderation is often very slow and it takes days until spam is removed...
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

Yohan wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 5:00 am
anonymous comments have to be checked/requires moderation before allowing them to appear and this takes time - who will do that?
Members will be given moderation powers over guests and be able to move their posts into the trash and to call them names with no recourse, similar to how high school freshman used to get bullied by the older kids.
Yohan wrote:
Even now moderation is often very slow and it takes days until spam is removed...
Moderation here allows obvious advertisers to make several spam posts and if they are eventually banned their posts are not removed. The provisional period does not filter out a lot of spammers but it does slow down posting for members trying to join so they are less likely to stay.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

I think it would be a good idea. There is too large a subset of malcontents, bitter, and angry types who feed off each other now. Any potential infusion of quality, positive-outlook posters would stand to be a good thing.
StanfordGuy
Freshman Poster

Post by StanfordGuy »

Too late...
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 4:34 pm
I think it would be a good idea. There is too large a subset of malcontents, bitter, and angry types who feed off each other now. Any potential infusion of quality, positive-outlook posters would stand to be a good thing.
That's if we get those types. We don't attract those types. We don't know what enabling guest postings would attract. It may attract trolls, spammers, trashy posts, etc. I guess we will have to experiment and try it out and see what happens. It's the only way to know. lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

StanfordGuy wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 6:32 am
Too late...
Don't be so negative man. There are always ways to improve and come back. Every business has a down cycle. The important thing is to learn from them and be flexible and bend with the wind. Zen teaching.

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

HappyGuy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 4:03 pm
Yohan wrote:
anonymous comments have to be checked/requires moderation before allowing them to appear and this takes time - who will do that?
Members will be given moderation powers over guests and be able to move their posts into the trash and to call them names with no recourse, similar to how high school freshman used to get bullied by the older kids.
This would probably just create resentment when sperg members deleted their posts for silly reasons.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Announcement:

Ok I've just enabled guest posting in the forum. So if you are a lurker or browser without an account, you can now post anonymously as a guest. However, your posts will be moderated of course. Hope this encourages some of you lurkers and non-participants out there to submit some quality intelligent posts to the forum. We've now made it easier for you to do so, and anonymously too. However, please don't abuse it by posting any spam or flame wars. We will do a trial first for a few days to see how this goes. Keep your fingers crossed everyone.

Btw. I've also enabled guest posting in the blog too at: https://blog.happierabroad.com . So feel free to leave comments there as a guest too if you want. But please, no spam. Thanks.

Post by Guest »

Winston wrote:
September 12th, 2007, 6:17 am
Ok I've just enabled guest posting in the forum. However, your posts won't be moderated of course. Hope this encourages some of you lurkers to submit some funny spam. We've now made it easier for you to do so, and anonymously too. However, please don't abuse it by trolling me.
I read you loud and clear chief :!: :) Thanks for the vote of confidence, you won't regret this!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Guest wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 6:43 pm
Winston wrote:
September 12th, 2007, 6:17 am
Ok I've just enabled guest posting in the forum. However, your posts won't be moderated of course. Hope this encourages some of you lurkers to submit some funny spam. We've now made it easier for you to do so, and anonymously too. However, please don't abuse it by trolling me.
I read you loud and clear chief :!: :) Thanks for the vote of confidence, you won't regret this!
Stop being so erratic HappyGuy. You don't need to post as a guest. Please don't abuse the system. I know it's you because of your IP.