Ask me about New Zealand

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Australia, New Zealand and the Oceania region.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Ask me about New Zealand

Post by Cornfed »

cheesesweat wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 2:21 pm
Do you hate living New Zealand? If yes or no what would be things that you hate or like about it. What is the racial make up of the town/city you are in? Where are people at politically? And can you have a decent conversation with the average New Zealander?
New Zealand is the usual Angloshpere asylum, so that is the down side. The climate and nature tend to be quite good. The town I live in is quite cosmopolitan, about half white and the rest a real mixture. The surrounding area used to be about 70% white with the rest being Maori, but now it is about 50-50 with some other admixtures. Most of the younger population is Maori, so crime is quite high out there. The average New Zealander probably has a little more knowledge about the world than the average American, but of course most people from anywhere tend to be morons.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Cornfed wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 6:37 pm
yick wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 6:27 pm
Shemp wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 6:17 pm
Cornfed wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 6:05 pm
Your questions seem to be more about me than NZ. Please try to keep your questions on topic.
What is it about NZ that causes some of the economically failing men there to develop rabid hatred of blacks, even though blacks are not common in NZ?
He's talking about Maori and other Polynesians who most - if not all - see themselves as 'black'.
No, that's not true. When I say "black" I am generally talking about Bantus, not mixed race Maori or Polynesians. And they don't generally see themselves as black.
Bantus are simply from the Central and Southern Africa. Most "blacks" in the American context have West African ancestry which only trace amounts of Bantu ancestry. I think the term that describes the target of your ire is Sub-Saharan Africans.

But about the Maori and Pacific Islander gangs, @yick brings up a good point. They might not think of themselves as ethnically black, but they have indeed adopted black street culture. Also, one of the most powerful and notorious street gangs in NZ is called Black Power.

In the video, the police Inspector states that South Auckland gangs pattern themselves after the LA street gangs and from their parlance, behavior, and mentality, I take that to mean black LA gangs, not Latino. Black American gangs are essentially surrogate families for young boys, and the criminologist mentions that same paradigm exists in South Auckland, not to mention the emulating of black hip hop culture from mass media.

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 7:50 pm
Bantus are simply from the Central and Southern Africa. Most "blacks" in the American context have West African ancestry which only trace amounts of Bantu ancestry. I think the term that describes the target of your ire is Sub-Saharan Africans.
Sub-Saharan Africans would include Khoisan, Pygmies etc.
But about the Maori and Pacific Islander gangs, @yick brings up a good point. They might not think of themselves as ethnically black, but they have indeed adopted black street culture. Also, one of the most powerful and notorious street gangs in NZ is called Black Power.
The established Maori gangs like Black Power were originally modelled after predominantly white biker gangs, although they don't necessarily ride. Patches, territories, prospecting etc. Maybe some of the kids now copy black American street culture.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

The whole book 'Once Were Warriors' by Alan Duff was about the erosion of traditonal Maori culture to the advancement of African-American culture within modern urban Maoris (and other Polynesians) they might not see themselves as related to Africans racially but they - from what I know and I bow down to your superior knowledge to it seeing as you actually live in South Auckland - see themselves as black - there were many references by Jake Heke as being a black man and even nicknamed one of his own kids as 'nig' saying that, I could accept it might not be an accurate portrayl.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

yick wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 5:15 pm
The whole book 'Once Were Warriors' by Alan Duff was about the erosion of traditonal Maori culture to the advancement of African-American culture within modern urban Maoris (and other Polynesians) they might not see themselves as related to Africans racially but they - from what I know and I bow down to your superior knowledge to it seeing as you actually live in South Auckland - see themselves as black - there were many references by Jake Heke as being a black man and even nicknamed one of his own kids as 'nig' saying that, I could accept it might not be an accurate portrayl.
Well obviously traditional Maori culture has been eroded (although Duff seems to identify more with the traditional boomer culture of his white father) but it is more being eroded towards just becoming shit rather than becoming black American, although I can see how people might confuse the two. The movie is a boomer interpretation in some respects, so Jake refers to himself as "Mr Black Ass" as a self-deprecating term because when Duff was his age it was perceived (maybe rightly) that whites controlled everything and so everyone darker, and that mean almost exclusively Maori in those days, was inferior.

BTW, I do not live in South Auckland. Although the movie OWW was set in South Aukland, the book was obviously set in a shitty area of Duff's home town of Rotorua (of which Two Lakes, the name of the small city in the book, is a transliteration of and actually exists of course and is a popular tourist attraction due to all its volcanic activity). Jake would actually probably be shot fairly quickly in the completely non-NZ South Auckland of today.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Cornfed, I have always felt that certain mixed Maori girls are quite cute. Plus these people are evidently a race that once produced a lot of powerful wariors, as can be said of many Polynesian races. Have you never considered finding a partner from this ethnic group? Many of them are economically not-so-well off, and one of them may be able to provide you with strong sons.

Is this a route you would be willing to go on? You often say white women are essentially ruined in the West and I would assume the same can be said for the women of other ethnic groups in the West, but still.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 7:38 pm
Cornfed, I have always felt that certain mixed Maori girls are quite cute. Plus these people are evidently a race that once produced a lot of powerful wariors, as can be said of many Polynesian races. Have you never considered finding a partner from this ethnic group?
Short answer, yes, but you have all the same problems.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Cornfed wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 7:44 pm
Perhaps. But at this stage, what do you have to lose? Your window of opportunity is closing, why not pursue one? I know I would, if I were in your shoes.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 7:38 pm
Cornfed, I have always felt that certain mixed Maori girls are quite cute. Plus these people are evidently a race that once produced a lot of powerful wariors, as can be said of many Polynesian races. Have you never considered finding a partner from this ethnic group? Many of them are economically not-so-well off, and one of them may be able to provide you with strong sons.
So are many Filipino tribes, from the Igorot of the nothern Cordilleras to the Bagobos of Mindanano. The only trace of their glorious past is probably in the way some of them train professionally as MMA fighters, Arnis performers or boxeurs.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 7:47 pm
Cornfed wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 7:44 pm
Perhaps. But at this stage, what do you have to lose? Your window of opportunity is closing, why not pursue one? I know I would, if I were in your shoes.
Perhaps. It is something I think from time to time, although you always have something to lose. You are not suggesting anything to me that hasn't previously occurred to me.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

hypermak wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 7:51 pm
So are many Filipino tribes, from the Igorot of the nothern Cordilleras to the Bagobos of Mindanano. The only trace of their glorious past is probably in the way some of them train professionally as MMA fighters, Arnis performers or boxeurs.
My wife's ancestors come from an era that has many Igorots. Her mother has some Spanish blood but her father's father is one of the last pureblooded members of a tribe that now has only a few thousand members. Him and her uncles are among the last few speakers of their language. It's pretty nice to think about at times, how such interesting DNA now found its way to my children. Although when I think "warriors" I think of Maori first before Filipinos, as not all Filipino tribes were particularly warlike... the strongest warrior culture was likely among the Bugkalots/Ilongots of the Cordillera region in Luzon, the former headhunters. Met many from their tribe, they are small but powerfully built compared to your average Filipino and have legs like mountain goats... seen one of their men, a grandfather of twelve, climb back and forth over narrow muddy roads carrying heavy bags of rice as if it was nothing.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Cornfed wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 7:55 pm
Perhaps. It is something I think from time to time, although you always have something to lose. You are not suggesting anything to me that hasn't previously occurred to me.
So what's keeping you? Time's ticking. You could still build-a-tiny-warrior with one. :wink:
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 8:00 pm
Cornfed wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 7:55 pm
So what's keeping you? Time's ticking. You could still build-a-tiny-warrior with one. :wink:
Indeed, and if my sperm is still good I could do so for a long time, although sooner is better, but once again, lets not make this thread about me.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 7:58 pm
My wife's ancestors come from an era that has many Igorots. Her mother has some Spanish blood but her father's father is one of the last pureblooded members of a tribe that now has only a few thousand members. Him and her uncles are among the last few speakers of their language. It's pretty nice to think about at times, how such interesting DNA now found its way to my children. Although when I think "warriors" I think of Maori first before Filipinos, as not all Filipino tribes were particularly warlike... the strongest warrior culture was likely among the Bugkalots/Ilongots of the Cordillera region in Luzon, the former headhunters. Met many from their tribe, they are small but powerfully built compared to your average Filipino and have legs like mountain goats... seen one of their men, a grandfather of twelve, climb back and forth over narrow muddy roads carrying heavy bags of rice as if it was nothing.
Fantastic. There is indeed some "blood pride" in these people of the mountains. Any coincidence Team Lakay, the factory of so many MMA champions (Folayang, the Banario bros, Pacio, etc.) is based in Baguio?
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

hypermak wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 12:54 am
Fantastic. There is indeed some "blood pride" in these people of the mountains. Any coincidence Team Lakay, the factory of so many MMA champions (Folayang, the Banario bros, Pacio, etc.) is based in Baguio?
Funny you should mention that, because in the mountain areas, the common tongue isn't Tagalog or the Igorot languages, but usually Ilokano. And Lakay means "old man" or "husband" in Ilokano... my father-in-law (half-Ilokano) was a rather young grandfather, so he was referred to within the family as "Lolo Ubing" (Young Grandpa), whereas his father was called Lolo Lakay by friends (Old Grandpa).

If a mountain woman is mad at her husband and calls out for him, he's "lakay!!!", the more formal 'husband'. If she's friendly, he is called just by his first name. The word is similar to the Tagalog 'tatay' (father) but not used quite the same.

There's a lot of pride in the mountains. If you speak some of their language, they warm to you very quickly. It's a sign of respect. Just a few words and they'll eat right out of your hands. Better yet, know a few of the local curses! Like "okinana!", the Ilokano version of the f-word. Nothing endears you quicker to them haha. :lol: