Happy Waitangi Day

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Australia, New Zealand and the Oceania region.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Happy Waitangi Day

Post by Cornfed »

It is the anniversary of the symbolic founding of the New Zealand nation. I could be attending the ceremonies right now, but I’m not because they are silly and boring. However, it does bring back interesting memories of when I attended them in the past.

When I was a young teenager there was a big to-do about the 150th year anniversary, so I was brought to the celebrations by my older brother. I remember walking across the Waitangi bridge through an open formation of riotpigs with an average height of 6’5”. Unlike on other occasions the government then were determined that no-one was going to rain on their parade, and when they want to stop trouble, believe me they can. We watched the goings on while drinking some beers in a waterfront pub, with my brother instructing me that if a cop came around I should gulp down my class, invert it and say what I was drinking was coke. Good times.

Then there was just a few years ago where I attended with a couple of friends and we stumbled though a security barrier and literally almost bumped into the Prime Minister. She had about 10 seemingly random cops wandering around with her. Asian tourists kept asking who she was. I didn’t have my phone, but my friend got a selfie with her. Only in NZ.