Iraq: an exotic destination

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Africa or the Middle East.
HappyGuy

Iraq: an exotic destination

Post by HappyGuy »

Behold the modern day gardens of Babylon! :shock:

HappyGuy

Re: Iraq: an exotic destination

Post by HappyGuy »

Troops left this trucker behind when a KBR Halliburton convoy was ambushed in Iraq

This ambush: http://halliburtonwatch.org/news/ambush.html

Being a contractor in Iraq was a quick way to make $100,000 but it was one of the most dangerous jobs in the world

Iraq for sale: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=41917
Soldier interviews: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=41915
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

Troops left another trucker behind when a convoy was hit early on in Iraq

The Scenic Route to Iraq

Last edited by HappyGuy on February 22nd, 2020, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

Roadside bomb in Iraq

Iraqi special forces push into ISIS-held Mosul - 2016

Mercury
Junior Poster

Post by Mercury »

The Middle East is a war zone and in a state of war. And that region has a lot of draconian laws. And that's why, anytime you decide to travel, you stay out of the Middle East.
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

Mercury wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 12:40 pm
anytime you decide to travel, you stay out of the Middle East.
Drop that cold war era thinking and get with the times it's more safe and more modern than America in a lot of ways, just ask @Ladislav he spent years in the Middle East.

American Fast Food in Kuwait

IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Post by IraqVet2003 »

Hey HappyGuy, Iraq is anything but an exotic location!!! LOL!!! Unless of course you're an archeologist or a tomb raider (and I don't mean Lara Croft) looking for ancient ruins/artifacts to sell on the black market, in which Iraq was once the home to both the Babylonian and Assyrian Empires. Besides,most of the foreign people going to Iraq will either be diplomats, U.S. military personnel, and private contractors.
But for the most part Iraq is still a WAR ZONE!!! The recent Iranian missile strikes against the U.S. bases in Iraq in which some U.S. troops were injured (traumatic brain injuries) as retaliation for the assassination of their top ranking general proves this point. HappyGuy, I myself served in Iraq back in 2003. My unit (from 6/27 Field Artillery 75th Brigade Fort Sill, Oklahoma) had been sent to first to Camp Udri, Kuwait just 6 miles south of the Iraqi border. Then later we were sent to Camp Anaconda (now Balad Airbase) which is near the city of Balad and 40 miles north of Baghdad. It was also in the area of Iraq known as the "Sunni Triangle" due to the frequent attacks on U.S. forces. This base was attacked daily by either enemy rockets and mortars when I was there. I myself had a close call with some mortar rounds when I was riding in the back of a 5 ton truck when returning to my tent after completing a shift on tower guard duty. Other hazards also included the extreme heat of temps over 120 degrees F, scorpions, sand fleas, mosquitoes (that can carry malaria), and IEDs (road side bombs).
However, I am no longer in the military because in decided NOT to reenlist after a total of 8yrs. of active duty service ( U.S. Air Force 1992-96/ U.S. Army 2001-2005).This is because HappyGuy I felt that the Iraq war was a total SHAM/RACKET for the U.S. to control Iraq's oil and to expand the NEW WORLD ORDER agenda which was NOT WORTH DYING FOR!!! Anyway, if I wanted to go to an exotic location in the Middle East I would either head to Morocco, Tel Aviv, Israel, or Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates.
Mercury
Junior Poster

Post by Mercury »

HappyGuy wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 3:58 pm
Mercury wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 12:40 pm
anytime you decide to travel, you stay out of the Middle East.
Drop that cold war era thinking and get with the times it's more safe and more modern than America in a lot of ways, just ask @Ladislav he spent years in the Middle East.

American Fast Food in Kuwait

Iraq!? Safer and more modern than America!? That's like saying that 1,000 school and city buses were blown up in Atlanta yesterday by roadside bombs; if Iraq is much safer than America in terms of violence, there wouldn't be an Atlanta, GA left! Atlanta would be a bunch of piles of smoking rubble that were once buildings. There would be no Pencil building, no Mercedes Benz Stadium, no Georgia Aquarium, there would be nothing left if Iraq were safer than America.