How can Winston improve facial skin and blemishes?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:The facial washes and scrubs that I use definitely make my skin smoother.
However, how can you look younger? What about products like Oil of Olay? Do they really make you look younger? Do they work for men too? How come only women seem to use them?
1. Facial wash first.
2. Toner second. Apply with cotton pad or cotton ball gently.
3. Facial lotion third.

There is no single brand that works for everyone due to differences in facial skin. When buying the products purchase smaller bottles or samplers first to try.

If you want to look younger and better fit, hit the gym. I prefer swimming (don't have to worry about sweating my head off), or exercise bike in front of cable TV when futurama is on.
Last edited by momopi on September 11th, 2012, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

What is a toner and facial lotion? How do I find those? What are they called in stores? What brand? What is the purpose of those things?

Does Oil of Olay constitute a facial lotion?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok I bought the facial toner and lotion yesterday. I chose the Olay brand, since Oil of Olay is a reputable brand. How do I use them? And what are they for? How do they work?

So I use my facial cleanser, followed by the toner and then the lotion right?

I also bought a small Oil of Olay bottle at the supermarket. I think it might be for women though. Can I still use it?

I was told that women and men use different facial lotions and that I should buy one designed for men. Why is that? Isn't skin the same on both genders? What would happen if a man used a woman's lotion?

Btw, do most guys use facial washes, toners and lotions too? Is it just Asian men that use them? What about Western guys? I thought most guys just used regular soap to wash their face. Am I wrong?

Thanks.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

1. As I've already specified, there is no single brand that will work for everyone due to differences in skin conditions. I use Kiehls, but that doesn't mean the same products I use will work for you. There are numerous Kiehls retailers in Taiwan, to visit them and discuss your needs with the salesperson:

http://www.kiehls.com.tw/Kiehls/_zh/_tw ... cator.aspx
(There's a Kiehls counter at 新光三越 (Shin Kong Mitsukoshi) department store in Chiayi)

2. There is no reason why you cannot use Oil of Olay. The product is marketed to women, but not gender specific. However I cannot say that it'd work the best for you. For directions read the back of the bottle. If you want to try gender specific facial products:
http://www.kiehls.com/Moisturizers/men- ... lt,sc.html

3. I have no statistic on what percentage of men use what to wash their face with. However if we were to use store shelves as an indicator, I'd say that there are more men who'd use specialized men's facial scrub/wash products than skin toners and lotions. Only in stores like Kiehls, you'd find 1/2 the store dedicated to men's products. Look around the store shelves in Taiwan and draw your own conclusions.

[img]http://b5media_b4.s3.amazonaws.com/64/files/2008/05/kiehls-burlington.jpg[/img]
royaldude
Freshman Poster

Post by royaldude »

try a paleo diet or at least avoid grains

being asian you are also at a genetical disadvantage to alcohol and wheat which is new to asians.

ive had adult acne when i stick to a paleo diet its gone
Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback. (The Dude)

the dude abides
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Spring wheat has been cultivated in China for about 4,000 years, and winter wheat for about 2,700 years. The earliest noodles in China were made with millet, by Tang Dynasty (1,400 years ago) they were making wheat noodles.

Western breads is more commonly baked, versus Chinese bread is more commonly steamed. Because of the size of the steamer and practicality, the Chinese steamed breads are bun-sized or pastry-sized.

In the north, they also make much larger sized (baked) sesame and onion breads that's the size of a steering wheel.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Thanks Momopi. But Kiehls products are very expensive. What's wrong with the facial cleansing products at Watsons or the supermarket? They work just as well right?

Also, the Kiehls store at that department store in Chiayi is in a part of the city where there is no place to park your car. The department store may have a garage, but I'm not sure. What I hate about Taiwanese cities (even small ones like Chiayi) is that in most of it, there is no place to park your car. Taiwan cities are not car friendly. They cater to scooters, which can be parked anywhere much more easily. But if you drive a scooter than you are risking your life because one crash on a scooter could end your life or put you in serious condition, since on a scooter, you don't have the protection of a car. Thus, Taiwan city life is a damned if you do, damned if you don't environment. lol

Don't you hate situations where you are between a rock and a hard place? lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here are some good articles I found about skin car routine:

http://www.wikihow.com/Establish-an-Eff ... re-Routine

http://www.askmen.com/grooming/appearan ... steps.html

http://beauty.about.com/od/skinflaws/a/ ... incare.htm

I didn't know you were supposed to exfoliate your skin to remove dead cells to look younger.
Step 2: Exfoliate

Exfoliation is the step most people skip in their weekly skincare routine. But trust me, if you start properly exfoliating your skin, you will notice an almost immediate difference. According to Berg, one of the reasons men's skin looks more youthful than women's is because men tend to exfoliate daily when they shave.
I use a facial scrub weekly to exfoliate my skin, but I also find using a washcloth when I cleanse my skin works just as well. I simply put a dab of cleanser on a damp washcloth and massage the cleanser into my skin in a circular motion. After a quick rinse, any sign of dead skin is erased. You can also exfoliate skin via microdermabrasion, chemical peels and retinoids. In my article, How to Exfoliate, I share all my tips and tricks to proper exfoliation. Including why you should throw out the loofah.

See my list of the best facial scrubs and microdermabrasion kits.

Scrubs work by removing the top layer of dead skin cells that tend to dull your complexion. We find exfoliating skin once a week with a microdermabrasion kit keeps skin glowing year-round. Make sure you use a gentle scrub with tiny grains. Big grains in cheap scrubs can tear skin and cause more harm than good. My favorite microdermabrasion kit is made by Lancome.

In the hour it takes to get a chemical peel, you can take off five years from your face. Can't afford the price tag for a monthly peel? Try some over-the-counter peels that work over the course of a month. I prefer MD Skincare's.
So that facial scrub I bought was a product you use to exfoliate? I thought it was just a cleanser. I got "cleanser" and "scrub" mixed up. lol.

Apparently, if you use a washcloth, which is the old fashioned way of cleaning your face, it does wonders.

http://beauty.about.com/b/2008/04/03/si ... hcloth.htm

Here's something I don't get though. I thought sunlight was good for you? People say that sunlight gives your skin Vitamin D, which it needs. But then why do the articles above say that you should put sunscreen on your face everyday to protect your skin from sun damage? Do most people really use sunscreen everyday? It seems like a lot of trouble.

This guy, though he sounds gay, explained the basics of skin care for men.

Description:

"Skin care for men: This is my basic description of a men's skin care routine. Here I describe how to use products that are available at your local drugstore that are reasonably priced and effective! There are basic 4 steps in skin care:
1) Cleanse (simple cleanser)
2) Tone (optional)
3) Exfoliate (2-3x per week)
4) Moisturize (with sunscreen)
As long as you can be proactive about taking care of your skin, and follow some basic advice you will thank yourself in the future!

Thanks for watching everyone!"

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is an article at AskMen.com about exfoliating your skin. I didn't know you were supposed to do this.

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashionti ... dvice.html

Question: Do Asian men need to shave? Or is that only something that white men do because they have a beard? I have facial hair in my moustache area and a little under the chin, but that's it.

Also, why go through the trouble of shaving cream and razors, when you can just use a $20 electric razor to shave off your facial hair?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is that gay guy again, showing you step by step with demonstrations, how to do basic skin care for men for beginners.

Description:

"Clean & Clear Cleanser: http://amzn.to/xcBtQr
Neutrogena Moisturizer: http://amzn.to/AsaUDL
Toner by Bioelements: http://amzn.to/Hy06cv

Alright guys, it has come to my attention that somehow I have been giving everyone great recommendations and advice but there has been a gap in the information train! You have the products, but what do you do with them?!?

This video will enlighten everyone from novice to expert about the use of a facial cleanser, toner, moisturizer and how to exfoliate properly! I hope you enjoy it and learn something new!"

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:Thanks Momopi. But Kiehls products are very expensive. What's wrong with the facial cleansing products at Watsons or the supermarket? They work just as well right?

Also, the Kiehls store at that department store in Chiayi is in a part of the city where there is no place to park your car. The department store may have a garage, but I'm not sure. What I hate about Taiwanese cities (even small ones like Chiayi) is that in most of it, there is no place to park your car. Taiwan cities are not car friendly. They cater to scooters, which can be parked anywhere much more easily. But if you drive a scooter than you are risking your life because one crash on a scooter could end your life or put you in serious condition, since on a scooter, you don't have the protection of a car. Thus, Taiwan city life is a damned if you do, damned if you don't environment. lol

Don't you hate situations where you are between a rock and a hard place? lol

1. As I have stated previously (3 times now?), skin conditions vary and I cannot say what products will work best for you. The most expensive lotion is worthless if you are allergic to it. Go buy different brands in smallest bottle sizes and try it. If you go to Kiehls ask for samples.

2. Call the department store and ask where to park.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Momopi,
You are missing the point of my question again. Suppose my skin is not allergic to any of them and they all work. Why then, is a super expensive skin car product better than a standard one at the drug store that is priced reasonably?

Just because a cosmetic or skin care product is super expensive, doesn't mean it's better. Right?

Is a $70 perfume bottle really better than a $20 one? If so, in what way? Is it all just hyped advertising, or is a logical reason for the higher price?

To all:

Just out of curiosity, how many of you use body wash rather than soap? Body wash seems to be more popular now, even among men, esp metrosexuals and gays. lol. But you need a sponge and it takes more time to lather it on your body, whereas soap is faster. The benefit of body wash is that it moisturizes your skin more. But they come in plastic bottles which create more waste for the environment.

How many of you use razor blades and how many of you use electric shavers? Does it really matter?

http://askville.amazon.com/pros-cons-El ... Id=2650959

http://www.menscience.com/Pros-and-Cons ... p_209.html

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Someone on my other forum told me that you can use apple cider vinegar to repair your facial blemishes.
Have you tried apple cider vinegar? Believe it or not, it's great for your skin. If you don't mind smelling like a salad or antipasto, it will clear up blemishes as well as other skin maladies. Since it costs pennies, you can't go wrong. Use a 3 to 1 ratio of water to vinegar. 3 parts water, 1 part vinegar in a small spray bottle. Make it in very small batches and keep it in the refrigerator. It's a great warm weather refresher as well. Also, you can dab a drop of vinegar on a bad blemish at night to speed up the healing process.

Green tea is also a great skin toner. Both tea and vinegar have antiseptic qualities and don't screw up your skin's natural Ph balace. Green tea can fight acne and prevent excess break outs. Just make a cup of green tea and apply the COOL tea with a cotton ball to your face.

Also, keep in mind that when you start any new skin care routine, your skin may break out like a mofo. But keep in mind that there's a difference between being allergic to what you're using and actually starting that cleaning process, so you need to test these things to find a winner. Little red bumps = no good. New pimples = active pores being cleaned.

As for lotions or moisturizers, I slather up in the morning and evening with some pretty heavy duty stuff but you probably don't need much more than a good facial lotion.

Most of all..... drink PLENTY of PLAIN WATER. Gotta take care of your body from the inside out first.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:Momopi,
You are missing the point of my question again. Suppose my skin is not allergic to any of them and they all work. Why then, is a super expensive skin car product better than a standard one at the drug store that is priced reasonably?
Just because a cosmetic or skin care product is super expensive, doesn't mean it's better. Right?
Is a $70 perfume bottle really better than a $20 one? If so, in what way? Is it all just hyped advertising, or is a logical reason for the higher price?
Which product yield superior results to you?

More expensive, premium products tend to have samples & smaller trial sizes available, versus cheaper drugstore brands do not. Instead of paying for the more expensive product, ask if they have samplers so you can try it first.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Momopi,
My face got dry from the toner. I checked the ingredients and it says it has alcohol in it. The articles I read about skin care said to avoid toners with alcohol in them because they will dry your face. Thanks for warning me in advance. :P (sticking tongue at you)

If they make toners without alcohol, then why do some contain alcohol if it dries your face? What purpose does the alcohol serve in the toner if it's bad for your face?