Dr. William Davis: Wheat Belly - Does wheat cause all your health problems and obesity?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Are carbs, grains, wheat really bad for your health/weig

Post by droid »

Winston wrote:How vegetarians can get enough protein.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/where-vege ... t-protein/
It's not just protein Winston. I know you guys are into the copper thing but all those nuts and grains contain a lot of copper, you need to watch your Zinc intake as well. These two need to be in balance.
From what I've seen It seems vegetarians need to supplement with at least Zinc, B12 and Creatine.

Check this out, you'll probably dismiss it as too mainstream though
https://authoritynutrition.com/5-brain- ... fish-eggs/
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

dancilley
Freshman Poster

Re: Are carbs, grains, wheat really bad for your health/weig

Post by dancilley »

In my experience, with myself, the only way I gain fat is if I eat animal products or oils.

This is because, "the fat you eat is the fat you wear."

It's not possible, according to John McDougall, M.D, to gain fat from eating high-carb foods, under normal circumstances. It's just too difficult for the body to convert carbs to fat. When you eat high-carb foods such as rice or potatoes or beans (without any added butter or oil or sour cream or cheese, etc.), it takes 30% of the calories of the food to convert the carbs to fat. The rest of the calories are burned off as heat and as non-exercise physical activity, such as fidgeting.

To lose fat, exercise and eat foods such as rice, beans, split peas, lentils, bread (without oil), potatoes (not potato chips), any vegetables (but not fried vegetables from restaurants which have oil). Eat green vegetables, because they are super nutrient-dense, and when I eat a diet of nutrient-dense foods, I do not feel as hungry as often, so I eat less food. Eat low-calorie foods such as green leafy vegetables and carrots and turnips and onions.

You will get gas from some of these foods. Take an alpha-galactosidase enzyme in order to break down the indigestible fibers...your body (the bacteria in your intestine) can multiply and you will therefore be able to more easily digest the food over time, so you will have less gas. If you eat too many beans or split peas or lentils or cabbage or onions or bananas, you will have large amounts of gas. But these foods are very healthy otherwise.

It's very easy to lose weight. You get to eat as much as you want of healthy food; you never have to "portion-control."

At first, you will feel that the food doesn't taste as good as what you're used to eating. Make sure you do put salt and sugar and spices on the food in order to make it taste much more stimulating. Salt and sugar are not very unhealthy at all compared to animal products and oils. Animal products and oils immediately injure the lining of the arteries...hence how 1 out of 4 people in the U.S. will die of heart disease or stroke.

If you eat too many vegetables and/or legumes, you will feel weak and not have as much energy as you're used to, because you will not be eating enough calories. This means you will be eating too few calories overall, so you will need to eat fewer vegetables, and more grains and potatoes.

If you feel weak even though you eat huge amounts of potatoes and sweet potatoes and rice, you will probably need to eat some nuts and/or seeds.

If you still feel weak even though you eat handfuls of nuts and are eating huge amounts of rice and potatoes, then you are probably just lacking the drug-like stimulation of the unhealthy food that you suddenly stopped exposing your brain to. Drug-like foods are: chocolate, cheese, meat, sugar, oil, salt, and probably MSG and other flavor-enhancers, and caffeine.

The reason people are fat is because they eat fat.

The fat you eat is the fat you wear, because it is soooo easy for the body to move the fat from the intestine into the bloodstream and then into the fat cells. It only takes 3% of the calories of the high-fat food in order for it to be transported into the fat cells. The fat you eat doesn't have to be converted.

It goes "from your lips to your hips."

And that's what happens, in my experience.

It's so simple.

The fat you eat is the fat you wear!
JOIN MY BRAND NEW FREE SPEECH FORUM EMPHASIZING PURE VIRGIN MARRIAGE: https://dancilley.great-site.net/forum

X/Twitter: https://x.com/DanCilleyLTBLP

YouTube: https://youtube.com/@DanCilley
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Are carbs, grains, wheat, gluten really bad for your health and weight?

Post by Winston »

Article from UC Davis claiming to debunk myths about whole grains by the diet fad industry. Is this true about why grains don't make you any more fat or cause diabetes any more than meat does? If so, then why is diabetes on the rise? And why am I fat even when I eat little or average amounts?

https://ucdintegrativemedicine.com/2016 ... gs.YaTXiNg
Claim 3: Whole grains make you fat.

Aug-3_Carbs-Grains_Body-14_12_Gluten-Free-Grains-Seeds_71245129This pillar is based on the idea that carbohydrates cause obesity because they elevate insulin levels and therefore increase fat storage.

The logic behind this theory assumes that:

1. Insulin plays a primary role in making us fat.
2. Only carbohydrates elevate insulin levels.

Let’s examine these claims together.

For starters, research shows that body fat is regulated by the brain—not by fat tissue itself or an insulin-secreting pancreas.

The primary role of insulin is to manage the concentrations of nutrients.

When insulin suppresses fat burning, it is normally because there is an abundance of glucose. In other words, insulin ‘tells’ storage tissues to stop burning fat because carbohydrates are available as fuel.

However, if you eat a diet high in fat (and low in carbohydrates), insulin ‘instructs’ your body to burn fat instead of carbohydrates, but it will not dip into your fat stores any more (or any less) than if your diet was based on carbohydrates. As long as the calories consumed are close to or in excess of what you need, fat storage will remain the same.

Aug-3_Carbs-Grains_Body-13_8_Gluten-Free-Grains_55141016Another problem is that the carbohydrate-insulin theory also presumes that carbohydrates have some unique relationship with insulin causing the latter to spike.

However, when you examine the insulinogenic index (a measure of how much eating food increases insulin per unit calorie), you see that protein-rich foods like beef increase insulin secretion as much as carbohydrate-rich foods like pasta.

In the end, 3 billion people on the planet live on grain-based diets with little or no obesity.

The reason?

Whole grains are low in calories (particularly when compared to animal foods), low in fat and high in satiating carbohydrates.

While it is true that a few people are sensitive to some types of whole grains and should avoid them, for most of us whole grains are a health-promoting addition to our diet, especially when the diet is already based on the consumption of whole plant foods.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

Great advice:

"Grains have some very negative attributes (phytic acid, lectins, allergenic proteins, linoleic acid, aflatoxin), but so do fruits, so do vegetables, so do dairy products, so does sugar, so do nuts, so do seeds, so does meat, so do root vegetables, so does fish, so do legumes, so do eggs, so does chocolate, so does red wine, so does green tea, so does water. Nothing is definitively good or bad. Almost all foods have positive AND negative attributes, and at the end of the day we all have to eat something....

"Reality Bite #1 – Most people who do notice losing weight when they eliminate gluten from their diets are losing weight because they are eliminating virtually ALL of their favorite foods....

"Reality Bite #2 – The vast majority of people who embark on any diet, or restrict any food, will be unable to continue to live with that restriction forever if it is in disharmony with their normal social environment....

"Reality Bite #3 – Most people don’t need to eliminate gluten from their diets to dramatically improve their health… Even if they are sensitive to it! In fact, the overly-reactive, overly-allergic, hyperinflammatory state that often brings about the poor reaction in the first place, is a state that can be reduced without eliminating grains from the diet... I encourage people to look at food sensitivities as the disease, not something that causes disease, until they have exhausted all measures to overcome them....

"Reality Bite #4 – Gluten-free diets suck. Even if they could expand your lifespan by a few years or even a decade I would still be hesitant to do it. Being carefree and easygoing about your diet and health practices is a strong virtue for health and beyond. And foods containing gluten are very enjoyable to eat, which shouldn’t be discounted as 'unimportant' or a sign of 'addiction' and 'weakness.'....

"Reality Bite #5 – Grain consumption has an inverse relationship worldwide with most modern degenerative disease. This may or may not be meaningful, and I’m not very fond of any statistics interfering with a person’s highly individual dietary choices, but it’s the truth nonetheless. Generally the more grain and carbohydrates in general that a nation eats by proportion of total food intake, the leaner and less prone to the major diseases that nation is (diabetes, cancer, heart disease, autoimmune disease)."

http://180degreehealth.com/the-gluten-free-diet-craze/
dancilley
Freshman Poster

Post by dancilley »

Winston wrote:
October 20th, 2018, 7:38 pm
Is this true about why grains don't make you any more fat or cause diabetes or obesity any more than meat does? If so then why is diabetes on the rise? And why am I fat even when I eat little or average amounts?
Yes, it's true. It's very simple. The fat you eat, is the fat you wear, Winston. It is very difficult to store carb calories as fat; the body cannot convert carbs to fat under ordinary circumstances.

You probably eat a lot of fat. Do you eat only rice, beans, vegetables, and fruits? Or, do you eat rice from restaurants that has oil in it, salad that has salad dressing (oil) in it, tofu that is fried in oil?

You're a vegetarian, so that means you don't eat meat...but do you eat high fat foods such as cheese, ice cream, cream cheese, yogurt, butter, hummus, chips?

Diabetes is on the rise because the foods Americans eat are very high in fat, low in fiber and carbs (carbs satisfy the hunger drive), and taste better than they should because of MSG and other flavor enhancers, so people eat more than they otherwise would.

The main thing though, is, "The fat you eat, is the fat you wear."
JOIN MY BRAND NEW FREE SPEECH FORUM EMPHASIZING PURE VIRGIN MARRIAGE: https://dancilley.great-site.net/forum

X/Twitter: https://x.com/DanCilleyLTBLP

YouTube: https://youtube.com/@DanCilley
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Are all whole grains, wheat, carbs, bread, pasta and rice really bad for your health and weight?

Post by Winston »

Another article defending grains and why they aren't as bad for you as the anti-carb movement claims. It also claims that cavemen probably ate grains too.

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/shou ... oid-grains

Check out this rice diet system. I never knew such a diet plan existed. lol

https://www.healthline.com/health/rice- ... nd-recipes
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
andrewfitzpatrick
Freshman Poster

Re: Are all whole grains, wheat, carbs, bread, pasta and rice really bad for your health and weight?

Post by andrewfitzpatrick »

Winston wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 12:54 pm
Another article defending grains and why they aren't as bad for you as the anti-carb movement claims. It also claims that cavemen probably ate grains too.

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/shou ... oid-grains

Check out this rice diet system. I never knew such a diet plan existed. lol

https://www.healthline.com/health/rice- ... nd-recipes
Really any diet works as long as the calorie intake is correct. What Dan says about the fat you eat is the fat you wear is nonsense. Your body converts carbs that aren't burned as fuel into fat as well. You can avoid fatty foods altogether and still put on fat if your calorie intake is too high. You can go on a high fat diet like the keto diet and lose weight as long as you keep your body in a state of ketosis and have the proper calorie intake.

I personally think the best diet is a variation on the diet that bodybuilders use. 5 or 6 small meals a day rather than 3 larger ones. A small amount of protein, a slow burning carb, and a vegetable. If you are eating small meals every 2 and half hours you don't have issues with hunger. The main thing is having the proper portion size so have the right amount of calories to reach your goals.

In the end you have to come up with a plan that you like so you can stick to it. I think the biggest mistake I see people that are overweight make is not drink enough water. You'd be surprised how many people mistake thirst for hunger. Plus there isn't as much room in your stomach for food if you are having a good amount of water with the meal.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

andrewfitzpatrick wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 7:57 pm
What Dan says about the fat you eat is the fat you wear is nonsense. Your body converts carbs that aren't burned as fuel into fat as well. You can avoid fatty foods altogether and still put on fat if your calorie intake is too high.
No, humans do not convert carbs to fat easily (de novo lipogenesis), if at all. However, human body does preferentially burn carbs versus fat, so unless diet is zero fat (which is unhealthy, since most protein foods and vegetables have some fat, only fruits and other pure sugar foods are zero fat) then the body burns the carbs and stores the fat, assuming a calorie excess. So you did get right that calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight, and calorie excess always results in weight gain (unless you're only eating fruit and other pure sugar food with zero fat).
andrewfitzpatrick wrote:
I personally think the best diet is a variation on the diet that bodybuilders use. 5 or 6 small meals a day rather than 3 larger ones. A small amount of protein, a slow burning carb, and a vegetable. If you are eating small meals every 2 and half hours you don't have issues with hunger.
No, there are sound scientific reasons why the best diet is to eat once a day, or once every two days if you're trying to lose weight. If this is physiologically uncomfortable, then you need to fast at least 3 full days (e.g eat normally Monday, eat nothing Tuesday through Thursday, eat again Friday morning) to reset metabolism. Psychological discomfort is another story. All dieting is psychologically uncomfortable to fat people, whose life revolves around eating.
andrewfitzpatrick
Freshman Poster

Post by andrewfitzpatrick »

Shemp wrote:
January 25th, 2020, 8:34 pm

andrewfitzpatrick wrote:
I personally think the best diet is a variation on the diet that bodybuilders use. 5 or 6 small meals a day rather than 3 larger ones. A small amount of protein, a slow burning carb, and a vegetable. If you are eating small meals every 2 and half hours you don't have issues with hunger.
No, there are sound scientific reasons why the best diet is to eat once a day, or once every two days if you're trying to lose weight. If this is physiologically uncomfortable, then you need to fast at least 3 full days (e.g eat normally Monday, eat nothing Tuesday through Thursday, eat again Friday morning) to reset metabolism. Psychological discomfort is another story. All dieting is psychologically uncomfortable to fat people, whose life revolves around eating.
I said personally because that is what works best for me. I wasn't as clear with that though as I needed to be since I said you when I should have been saying I in the last sentence. My body responded best to eating 5-6 small meals a day. I was physically active and was able to maintain a consistent energy level.

I started dieting when I found out I had type 2 diabetes. To be honest I knew that was where my behavior was leading and I didn't care until I actually had to deal with the repercussions. I decided to be one of the people to get rid of it completely. First by becoming as physically active as I had as a youth and young adult. Second by committing to a diet that could become a lifestyle.

It was confusing when getting started because there is so much contrary information. You say there are sound scientific reasons for eating once a day. You read one article and it says that the best diet for diabetes is the eat once a day Mediterranean diet. Then another article says how eating once a day is bad for a diabetic due to hypoglycemia. I just went with what I thought was best suited for me and the amount of physical activity I planned on doing.

I just needed to lose 45 lbs which would get me down to 180 which is a good weight for my height. Gave myself a year to do it which is a pretty simple goal. You'll lose a pound a week with just a daily caloric deficit of 500 based on what I was reading. I ended up losing that weight in 3 months. The goal of no longer having a resting blood sugar level in the type 2 range was also achieved before that year ended.

I was doing a lot of exercise though. 2-3 hours of cardio each day. Either bike riding, walking, or after a month running. Plus 45 minutes to an hour of weight training 5 days a week. I doubt I could have maintained that type of physical activity eating once a day.
Mercury
Junior Poster

Post by Mercury »

Winston wrote:
July 6th, 2013, 3:16 am
I don't get something. Mainstream doctors and nutritionists tell us that whole grains are good for you and provide fiber and nutrients. But those in holistic alternative health say the opposite and make some good arguments about why we are not naturally suited to digest grains - which includes wheat, bread, pasta, rice, cookies, crackers, oats, etc.

They argue that eating grains has caused a rise in a whole host of major illnesses and epidemics that have plagued humans in the last few hundred years, as well as an addiction to them. And they argue that the nutrients in grains, such as fiber, can be obtained from other sources such as fruits and vegetables, so that there is nothing in grains that you can't get elsewhere.

Check out these articles that make some good points:

http://wellnessmama.com/575/how-grains- ... ou-slowly/

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

http://nourishedkitchen.com/against-the ... up-grains/

What do you all think? Any of you have experience with this?

Does this mean that even oatmeal is bad for you too? If so, why do I feel a burst of energy after eating oatmeal? It certainly feels healthy.

If this is all true, does it mean that the nutrition industry is conspiring with the pharmaceutical industry and medical industry to make people sicker for profit?
In other countries, whole grains are good for you. But American food manufacturers put toxic chemicals into American food. On the whole, America is a totally unhealthy country to eat in. Kind of reminds you, doesn't it, of where Mario and Luigi in the 1993 movie "Super Mario Bros." are in Dinohattan and Mario says; "Hey listen, if we're gonna eat in this place, we're gonna have to be very, very hungry."
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Dr. William Davis: Wheat Belly - Does wheat cause all your health problems and obesity?

Post by Winston »

New CBC documentary analyzing Dr. William Davis and his anti-wheat message and celebrity status. It takes a skeptical look and talks to food scientists and food experts who disagree with him. However, Dr. Davis has millions of people who swear that his wheat free and gluten free diet really works and has helped them a lot. So it's a matter of who you trust, establishment scientists and nutritionists, or celebrities and common people. People like @galii of course only trust establishment scientists, not common people, which is authority worship and assumes authority to be objective and unbiased, which is not true of course, but he assumes it because science is his religion. Very interesting documentary that presents both sides and is worth seeing.

The War on Wheat - The Fifth Estate (CBC Documentary)

Some comments I posted below the documentary:

@happierabroad
1 second ago
To the CBC reporter in this documentary: If GMO foods are not bad for you, then why is it banned in Europe, where people are more sensible and rational and real than in America? That should speak volumes and tell you something. Think about it.

@happierabroad
22 minutes ago
The interviewer is wrong that anecdotes are not evidence. They are. In a court of law, anecdotes and witness testimony is considered evidence, for example. And psychiatry and drug testing relies on anecdotal evidence too. When you interview for a job and give character references, those count as evidence of your reliability and character too. And when you shop online, the online feedback ratings of the sellers count as evidence too. So he is wrong and so is the food scientist. They just want you to trust authority, which is their mission.

galii
Experienced Poster

Re: Dr. William Davis: Wheat Belly - Does wheat cause all your health problems and obesity?

Post by galii »

Winston wrote:
October 3rd, 2023, 10:12 am
New CBC documentary analyzing Dr. William Davis and his anti-wheat message and celebrity status. It takes a skeptical look and talks to food scientists and food experts who disagree with him. However, Dr. Davis has millions of people who swear that his wheat free and gluten free diet really works and has helped them a lot. So it's a matter of who you trust, establishment scientists and nutritionists, or celebrities and common people. People like @galii of course only trust establishment scientists, not common people, which is authority worship and assumes authority to be objective and unbiased, which is not true of course, but he assumes it because science is his religion. Very interesting documentary that presents both sides and is worth seeing.

@happierabroad
1 second ago
To the CBC reporter in this documentary: If GMO foods are not bad for you, then why is it banned in Europe, where people are more sensible and rational and real than in America? That should speak volumes and tell you something. Think about it.

@happierabroad
22 minutes ago
The interviewer is wrong that anecdotes are not evidence. They are. In a court of law, anecdotes and witness testimony is considered evidence, for example. And psychiatry and drug testing relies on anecdotal evidence too. When you interview for a job and give character references, those count as evidence of your reliability and character too. And when you shop online, the online feedback ratings of the sellers count as evidence too. So he is wrong and so is the food scientist. They just want you to trust authority, which is their mission.
I guess it is not even worth to ask the AI about it.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

galii wrote:
October 3rd, 2023, 12:44 pm
Winston wrote:
October 3rd, 2023, 10:12 am

@happierabroad
1 second ago

@happierabroad
22 minutes ago
I was wondering to myself if people are getting fat because the wheat is GMO. But I did a quick Google search and the National Wheat Foundation claims there is no commercialized GMO wheat anywhere in the world. I know there is GMO corn.

Now, I heard they did breed wheat to have higher yield, which resulted in lower protein. Cattle and other livestock now rely on soybeans for protein in the US. So I wonder if our wheat varieties are 'fluffed up' in terms of volume and calories, but lower in nutrition. Did bread fatten up our ancestors like it does with this generation?

Massive amounts of sugar in our diets is also something from recent centuries, after the sugar plantations formed during the time of the trans-Atlantic slave trade.

I was thinking before reading this about switching to just eating beans, zucchini, and eggplant and stuff like that for carbs instead of going low carb. I've been watching videos about fatty liver, and I'm thinking of doing a 'cleanse' with tumeric, low carb, kale, blueberries stuff like that that I saw had some research behind it. Usually, I don't believe in detoxes, but this stuff sounds like it might be legit. But I wonder if cutting out sugar except some low calorie sugars for coffee in the morning and eating carbs from the garden behind my house could do the same thing.

We've got a little kale, and we have tumeric on the shelf. We might get bluberries next year. I think the blackberries and rasberries are pretty much done, but they could suprise me. If he passion fruit ripens, I might eat that for carbs, too.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

galii wrote:
October 3rd, 2023, 12:44 pm
If you have to ask AI about everything then you must be an NPC, not a souled human. No souled human would depend on AI as their authority or info source. No offense but you are weird and artificial. I'll bet you are into artificial sex robots too.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

@MrMan

Well the term GMO is nebulous. It depends on your definition of GMO. To some, manipulating wheat like America did in the 60s is GMO. To others it isn't. You should listen to Dr. William Davis' lectures to learn why he thinks it is GMO. And see the CBC documentary above too, which presents both sides. Regardless, if millions of people say that something works, I'd rather listen to them than some dumb "food scientist" who is government funded. It's a no brainer. Why would I trust anything a corrupt government says?