German high protein high fat diet and food discoveries.

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

German high protein high fat diet and food discoveries.

Post by eurobrat »

Since getting away from Italy, I have changed my diet and lost about 3,6 kilos without even trying and put on a lot of muscle now that I am lifting every other day. Germans seem to have a diet that revolves around high protein and high fat intake. I lost weight and I feel better now and not sluggish like I did in Italy eating pasta every other meal. Although my grocery bill went up a little, it's still fairly cheap at about €35/week.

It's pretty obvious now what was the culprit for that stubborn 3-4 kilos that would never shed, carbs as meals.

My weekly grocery store list now looks like this:

- 2,2 kilos of turkey breasts filets
- 1 carton of eggs
- 2 large filets of salmon
- 1 large filet of see-lachs
- 3 cans of tuna
- 2 large jars of Rotkrautsalat
- 2 bags of lettuce
- 1 bag frozen spinach
- 1 bag frozen cauliflower and broccoli mix
- 1 soup making kit (rhubarb, 2 carrots, green onions, parsley)
- 2 large dark chocolate bars (70% cacao)
- 2 packages of Harzer Käse
- 1 package leberwurst

I make a large soup once weekly with the turkey and the soup kit. Total costs is about €3,50 for about 3 meals. I really think this is something Winston should go on since it's easy to make, cheap and healthy.

My best discovery yet here was Harzer Käse, although it taste like shit it's the perfect snack for my post 2 hour workout sessions. Although it might taste like grandpas asshole, it can be eaten pretty easily with a beer or glass of wine. It has the cute shape of a hostess donut and they add anise seeds to offset the asshole taste.

Nutrition summary: Harzer Käse €0,33 for a pack of 6. Cheapest high protein food I have found yet.
Calories 37
Fat 0.2g
Carbs 0g
Protein 14g

Overall I think the food here is much healthier than the US. There's just far too much manufactured food in the US and I do think it's affecting everyones health and sanity.

I do have my cheat days for carbs once a week, although even then I'm trying to make those healthier. This week is lean ground beef cannelloni with NO CHEESE stealing this guys paleo meatball recipe: http://easypeas-y.blogspot.de/2012/03/p ... balls.html

Image[/img]
Seeker
Freshman Poster

Post by Seeker »

My best discovery yet here was Harzer Käse, although it taste like shit it's the perfect snack for my post 2 hour workout sessions. Although it might taste like grandpas asshole, it can be eaten pretty easily with a beer or glass of wine. It has the cute shape of a hostess donut and they add anise seeds to offset the asshole taste.
LOL wtf! :lol: Man do yourself a favour and have a tasty burger or a nice flavoured whey protein drink (don't you drink protein PWO?) or anything else that you actually enjoy. What's the point in eating if you don't enjoy it? One of the many fine things about weight training is to relax with a good meal afterwards.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Where is the high fat in that? It seems like a good idea, but it seems like it lacks in fat (which seems to be pretty damn important- for fuel & nutrients). I don't know what some of those are, so maybe that's where it is on that list.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Wolfeye wrote:Where is the high fat in that? It seems like a good idea, but it seems like it lacks in fat (which seems to be pretty damn important- for fuel & nutrients). I don't know what some of those are, so maybe that's where it is on that list.
I eat a lot of Salmon, Herring, Beef, Pork, Liverwurst is all fat, and a lot of chocolate. All in all it's working, I feel much better than a carb heavy diet.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Yeah, definitely heard about that: Fat being digested better, so it doesn't make you fat & giving you more energy (at the very least, no "spike & crash").
malik2630
Freshman Poster

Post by malik2630 »

i hardly heard about the dishes which you share above...
jtest28
Freshman Poster

Post by jtest28 »

That's basically the diet I used to lose 80lb with. But it was mostly unsaturated fat and eating leaner meat. You can still carb up sometimes, but wait until after a workout to do it. the longer you go, the more carbs you can take in without getting fat (though there will still be some water bloat)

Yeah, heavy carbs are the cuplret behind a lot of problems. They just bloat a person up so bad. Literal water. Because for every gram of carbs stored in the muscles, there's at least 3 grams of water.