What's your best weight loss tip?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Re: What's your best weight loss tip?

Post by Shemp »

Exercise has essentially no effect on weight. If you exercise, then you'll fidget less the rest of the day to compensate for the energy you burned exercising, and vice-versa. Eating less is the only effective way to lose weight in 99.9% of cases.

Stress definitely increases appetite, so reducing stress should be goal one. Sleep more and sleep better, in particular. Moderate exercise may reduce stress. Heavy exercise may increase stress, and thus appetite, causing overeating that more than offsets calories burned during the heavy exercise.

Intermittent fasting (eat once a day) has been shown over and over to be close to a miracle in reducing food intake, assuming you eat more or less healthy at that one meal. (One dessert okay, not a whole meal of nothing but desserts.) There are good physiological reasons for effectiveness of intermittent fasting, some of which relate back to stress reduction, since eating itself is a form of stress on the body.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

So I've lost almost 30 pounds in the last two years using this one simple trick: portion control and cutting way back on alcohol. I have one day where I eat like I used to in order to keep my metabolism from slowing way down, but generally consume about 1000 calories less a day than previously. I also only eat when I'm hungry, rather than having fixed meal times, and stop eating when I feel satiated rather than full. I no longer keep snacks in the home or on me at work, and I was never one to eat sweets. Goal is to lose 15-30 more pounds.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

Stress causes an increase in appetite, which makes evolutionary sense because you need to pack emergency supplies onto your body, where no one can steal them, when times get tough. So my best weight loss tip is reduce stress. Especially get enough sleep. Practice breath control to reduce heart rate. Get some daily exercise and time in nature. Cut back on caffeine and other stress inducing substances. Reduce stress from work and home relationships, if possible. Cortisol is the most significant hormone associated with stress. High cortisol => high appetite.

Second tip is practice intermittent fasting. If you eat all your food in 3 hour period like me, and the food is fairly low fat and bulky (lots of fruits and vegetables and whole grains, limited oils, butter, cheese and nuts) it's very difficult to overeat. In particular, if you stuff too many carbs in at once, they'll ferment in the stomach. After that happens once or twice, you'll learn your lesson and be unlikely to repeat the mistake unless you enjoy nausea. Remarkably, intermittent fasting actually reduces hunger, converse of the old saying "eating restores the appetite". Technically, hunger hormone ghrelin diminishes during sleep and stays low until you resume eating. So that one big daily meal should be late in the afternoon, to ensure you still have food on your stomach, and thus no hunger, when you go to sleep again. Takes a few days before intermittent fasting feels comfortable.
kevvin
Freshman Poster

Post by kevvin »

1. Move more often (be active).

2. Drink water all day (at least 90-95% of the day).

3. Eat smaller portions (never go back for 2nd's).

4. Don't eat after 8pm (well, this works for me, that's for sure).

5. Get plenty of sleep (so you can be active and move around all day, the next day).

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-wei ... z639auTCO7
Education kills faith dead. It's like bug spray for Christianity. (Dusty Smith, Atheist)
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

A new weight loss tip I found is simply staying in places with cold climates!

Check out this article that explains why I'm losing more weight now in the cold in Taiwan than in hot weather. It makes sense. I now wake up with an almost flat stomach every morning now. Wow. Losing weight is so much easier in the cold, and exercise has little to do with it. Here's why:

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2017/1 ... e-calories
It is true that a cold body uses more energy to keep itself warm than a warm body. But alas, exercising in the cold isn’t the fabulous calorie burner we may think it is. Before we get to why, let’s look at the reason this idea seems so intuitive and appealing.

The body does use more energy to stay warm when it’s cold out

First, a word about a process called thermogenesis. Your body creates heat when it’s cold (usually below 32 degrees Fahrenheit but in a person wearing light clothes, it can start at temperatures as high as 70).

One way is by shivering — where the muscles involuntary contract to generate warmth, and defend your body temperature (98.6 degrees Fahrenheit). Or you may begin to activate “brown fat,” the kind of fat tissue whose main function is heat production. Unlike white fat, which stores heat to keep you warm, brown fat burns calories to generate heat.

“The analogy might be a oil tanker that drives on the highway compared to a sports car,” explained Aaron Cypess, a metabolism and brown fat researcher at the National Institutes of Health. “They both have fuel, or fat, but the oil tanker stores it for use later, and that’s the white fat. The sports car stores fuel to burn it, and that’s the brown fat.” The process of breaking down these lipids to release heat, and warm you up is called “non-shivering thermogenesis.”

Both shivering and brown fat activity increase your energy expenditure, causing you to burn more calories in cold temperatures.

“You don’t even know its happening,” Herman Pontzer, an associate professor at Hunter College who studies energetics, told Vox in 2017 (when we first published this piece). “It’s below the radar of your conscious thought, but it’s there ticking away.”
Later on the article explains why NOT exercising in the cold will burn more calories, which is ironic, and goes against what we all assume. Lol. It also explains why exercise in general only burns a small percentage of calories so is not effective for losing weight as u might think. See below.

Exercise can produce a lot of heat on its own

Now here’s the rub: These processes only kick in to keep you warm when you’re truly cold. But once you start exercising — running or cross-country skiing, for instance — outside, you’re going to start generating heat from the physical activity. And the exercise alone may give you enough heat that your body wouldn’t burn any extra calories through shivering and brown fat.

That’s why you can go running in very cold temperatures wearing a light sweater and pants, but if you were just sitting around outside in the same cold climate, you’d need to bundle up in a heavy jacket and hat, or you’d start to shiver, to stay warm, Pontzer explained.

“The best way to use the cold to burn more calories would be to not exercise while you're outdoors,” Pontzer added. “You'd get your brown fat cooking and making heat, and might even start shivering, all of which burns calories.”
Now, it is possible to get those energy-burning heating processes going while exercising. Cypess imagined a scenario where a person is exercising in subzero temperatures, and wearing light enough clothes, that the exercise alone isn’t keeping him warm, and thermogenesis kicks in.

But even in that case, you’d only burn a few additional calories at best, Cypess said. In studies where he’s put participants in cold rooms for entire days, they burned off an additional 150 to 200 calories. Again, that’s a full day of cold — not an hour’s worth of outdoor activity.

All physical activity only accounts for a small portion of energy burn

Of course, the most important thing to remember if you’re trying to make up for heavy meals is that physical activity makes up a surprisingly small portion of your total energy burn.

There are three major components to how many calories you burn off in a day: 1) your basal metabolic rate, or the energy used for basic functioning when the body is at rest; 2) the energy used to break down food; and 3) the energy used in physical activity. For most people, the basal metabolic rate accounts for 60 to 80 percent of total energy expenditure. Digesting food accounts for about 10 percent. That leaves only 10 to 30 percent for physical activity, of which exercise is only a subset. Thermogenesis is an even more minor player, Cypess said, usually accounting for less than five or 10 percent of your total energy expenditure (depending on how much time you’ve spent in the cold).
So you see guys. It makes a lot of sense. And explains why I'm losing weight easily now in Taiwan, a lot easier than in the hot Philippines weather, by just sitting around and letting my body generate heat to stay warm. Lol. I never knew it could be so easy in cold weather to lose weight. No wonder why i was thinner in Russia and also in Bellingham, WA as well. Lol. I knew hot humid weather was bad for my health. I been saying so for years. Now u guys understand why. Read the article above if you don't believe me. Lol

Here's another good article about it.

https://www.aarp.org/health/fitness/inf ... ther_.html
Although the weather isn’t a confirmed factor in weight management, you’re more likely to burn extra calories when it’s cold out, explains Bixby, because your body works to keep its temperature constant. “Your body fights harder to stay warm than it does to cool off,” he says. So exercising outdoors on a cold day may burn incrementally more calories than the same activity on a hot one.
https://www.statnews.com/2017/12/20/exe ... es-burned/
Exercising in the cold burns more calories than exercising in warmer temperatures, making it easier to lose weight. Specifically, people who hiked in temperatures ranging from 15 to 23 degrees burned 34 percent more calories than people who hiked in temperatures in the mid-50s, according to a recent study of 53 men and women who took part in a vigorous National Outdoor Leadership School program in Wyoming.

Tell me more:

“Cold is much more metabolically expensive,” said Cara Ocobock, of the University at Albany, who did the Wyoming study. “You have to burn more calories” through what’s called thermogenesis just to keep the body warm. (Hint to dieters: bundle up less; you’ll burn more calories than if you’re engulfed in goose down and wool.)

The men in the outdoor school burned an average of 3,822 calories per day while hiking in the mountains during the spring and 4,787 calories per day in winter; for women it was 3,081 in spring and 3,880 in winter, Ocobock found. This was the first study to measure how calorie expenditures varied by ambient temperature in the real world rather than an exercise lab.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Have a bad break up with your longtime wife or girlfriend. Guys who do that seem to look great in no time.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Cornfed wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 7:33 pm
Have a bad break up with your longtime wife or girlfriend. Guys who do that seem to look great in no time.
I wonder just how much more gorgeous I would become if I ever got rid of Mrs. Zeitola. :lol:

As for weight loss tips, people should just drunk plenty of water, cut down on alcohol consumption as mentioned before. But above all dietary choices, you just gotta move. Run, cycle, go to a gym, work yourself into a sweat every day and do some push-ups and sit-ups inside the comfort of your own home on a daily basis. Make looking good a priority, and you will look good. Also agree with those who said to eat little or nothing after five.

Usually I go for a heavy breakfast, decent lunch, light dinner. I've been drinking a bit too much for the last year or so, and it has caused me to have a bit of a belly. But simply cutting down on alcohol is already a pretty quick fix.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
HenryGeorge
Freshman Poster

Post by HenryGeorge »

Cornfed wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 7:33 pm
That's one brutal diet right there... :shock:
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Exercise for purely weight loss isn't that effective on its own though exercise and running is great for your mental state, weight training is great but then you could do press ups and chin ups - incorporate that with a running regime and you can build a good physique for the price of a pair of trainers.

Best weight loss tip is by far intermittent fasting - what you are doing is relieving the brain for a need of food - once you have done a 24 hour fast once or twice and you're doing OK, you are weaning yourself off food, or three meals a day at least to get yourself through the day - lots of people still think if they don't eat on a regular basis that they will become weak which is not true.

One of the worst things for weight gain is fizzy drinks - utter poison - far worse than alcohol but that's not far behind either.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

yick wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 1:44 am
Exercise for purely weight loss isn't that effective on its own though exercise and running is great for your mental state, weight training is great but then you could do press ups and chin ups - incorporate that with a running regime and you can build a good physique for the price of a pair of trainers.

Best weight loss tip is by far intermittent fasting - what you are doing is relieving the brain for a need of food - once you have done a 24 hour fast once or twice and you're doing OK, you are weaning yourself off food, or three meals a day at least to get yourself through the day - lots of people still think if they don't eat on a regular basis that they will become weak which is not true.

One of the worst things for weight gain is fizzy drinks - utter poison - far worse than alcohol but that's not far behind either.
That's true. But exercise and being in shape can speed up your metabolism so that you can lose weight faster or burn fat more efficiently. So is getting enough good quality sleep too.

Actually most of your body's energy expenditure - about 60 to 80 percent - is used for basic bodily functions. See below for a break down.

There are three major components to how many calories you burn off in a day: 1) your basal metabolic rate, or the energy used for basic functioning when the body is at rest; 2) the energy used to break down food; and 3) the energy used in physical activity. For most people, the basal metabolic rate accounts for 60 to 80 percent of total energy expenditure. Digesting food accounts for about 10 percent. That leaves only 10 to 30 percent for physical activity, of which exercise is only a subset. Thermogenesis is an even more minor player, Cypess said, usually accounting for less than five or 10 percent of your total energy expenditure (depending on how much time you’ve spent in the cold).
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
tom
Junior Poster

Post by tom »

I did a keto diet for about 3 months. I have also been weight lifting too, for over a year. I lost weight on keto. I did not think I was overweight. My body fat percentage went from about 22% to 18%. I have gained about 10 to 12 pounds of muscle.
The one thing I have done is cut out a lot sugar. No sodas, processed foods with added sugar, which is in a lot of stuff. A little sugar has crept back in but its only at outside gathering occasionally, I do not normally use it. The food I prepare myself is very low glycemic, moderate protein and high fat. I have moderated on the saturated fat a bit and added a bit more protein.

Dr Ronda Patrick is a good source of info, and you can checkout many of the people she interviews too.

A lot of our common ideas about what and when to eat in modernity is likely very flawed.
משה בן יצחק
Amy
Freshman Poster

Post by Amy »

Following Keto diet..reduce consuming carb foods while doing exercising about 30 minutes a day.
josephty2
Freshman Poster

Post by josephty2 »

Oranges are a great fruit to eat!

Vegetarian diet tends not to have much vitamin B12.

Also true with Low carb diets on nutrient deficiency, but of a different kind, you might not understand concepts like reddit, Artemis fowl, etc.
Then again, some people go all the way (cognitive dissonance/fallacy of incomplete evidence).

Eat dates.

The problem is iphones.
jeniferbet
Freshman Poster

Post by jeniferbet »

My top weight loss tip is embracing Pilates with the betterMe app. It transformed my fitness journey. The link https://www.womansday.com/health-fitnes ... terme-app/ shares a success story and offers a fantastic resource to kickstart your own transformation. Give it a try – it's a game-changer!
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

I have started a carnivore diet about 4 weeks ago. That is, only animal/fish meat and fats and certain low-carb dairy products (eggs and butter) are allowed. Nothing else, nothing plant based, even a simple coffee or tea.

Apart from shedding at least 7 kilos while keeping my belly constantly stuffed with yummy foods, including steaks, smoked salmon and cold cuts, and omelettes, the diet has resulted in me having zero cravings about carbs and sugars and low appetite. Case in point, for the past 2 weeks at least I have been able to skip breakfast and lunch and have a single daily meal, a dinner. Said dinner has been protein-only, with a couple of cheating moments when I savoured a small slice of panettone (Italian Christmas cake) and a coffee or tea.

Keto has been hailed as a great diet...but carnivore looks like the ultimate diet. Check it out!