Learning to cook

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Neo
Junior Poster

Learning to cook

Post by Neo »

One positive thing that has happened as a result of this scamdemic or plandemic, is that I have learned to cook some food for myself.

Before quarantine, I would simply spend $7.99 per pound to buy precooked food at the supermarket. I would buy a sizeable quantity of various prepared meals once or twice a week, and just heat them in the oven.

When the scamdemic started, for months the local supermarkets changed their routine.

That's when I began to remember how my grandmother used to cook. I was never officially watching her, but I remember her saying things like, "I brown the meat first," and "The onions go in last."

So over the past few months, I've learned to cook beef stew, breaded shrimp, chicken cutlets, steak, pork chops, macaroni and cheese, gravies, mashed potatoes, and some assorted dishes.

I have even reduced my trips to fast food restaurants. The idea of going to those used to pop into my head frequently, but now rarely.

Now all I have to do is buy the ingredients and prepare them properly.
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.
michael.gaines
Freshman Poster

Re: Learning to cook

Post by michael.gaines »

That's wonderful to hear that you've discovered a positive outcome during the challenging times of the pandemic. Learning to cook and preparing your own meals not only saves money but also gives you control over the ingredients and allows you to customize dishes according to your taste and dietary preferences. It's a valuable skill that can lead to healthier eating habits and a deeper appreciation for food.

Cooking can also be a therapeutic and enjoyable activity. Many people find joy and fulfillment in experimenting with recipes, trying new flavors, and mastering different culinary techniques. Additionally, by reducing your trips to fast food restaurants, you are likely consuming healthier meals, which can have positive effects on your overall well-being.
Rogalikus
Freshman Poster

Post by Rogalikus »

By reducing your reliance on pre-cooked or fast food options, you're likely making more conscious choices about what you eat, which can have a positive impact on your overall well-being and health.

Indeed, cooking can be a relaxing and creative outlet. It allows you to connect with your family's culinary traditions and memories of your grandmother, creating a sense of nostalgia and continuity.
jeniferbet
Freshman Poster

Post by jeniferbet »

I agree, the coronavirus has taught us to do many things, and one of them is really cooking - before that, my husband and I only used to eat in cafes or live on delivery, so the first thing we did was buy a microwave oven ( we has such model ZANUSSI ZBM26642XA USER MANUAL ), because it's easier and faster to cook that way... my my favorite dessert is now a cupcake in 5 minutes in the microwave, I can share the recipe