California high school 1962

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

California high school 1962

Post by Cornfed »

This is just one way society has gone down the tubes. Imagine trying to get kids in this kind of shape today.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: California high school 1962

Post by gsjackson »

I remember the La Sierra PE program well. President Kennedy called attention to it around the time in 1962 when we were leaving Northern California. It lasted through the '70s to 1983, a period of time which saw enormous changes in the youth culture. Obviously it would be impossible today, for a number of reasons, including coed PE classes. A lot of the girls don't even dress out, just sit around and bs, and apparently get a passing grade.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

To convey a little further the vibe of the early '60s and JFK's emphasis on physical fitness, this is the song for the campaign written by Meredith Wilson, composer of the most popular movie musical of the day, The Music Man, sung by Robert Preston, the star of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFofqe26t-4

The last hurrah of civilization may have come short years later in 1964 when Paul McCartney sang a song from The Music Man -- Till There Was You -- on the Beatle's first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, which was perhaps the most anticipated show business event of my lifetime. Then Paul and the Lads got busy peddling drugs, and the whole grim, demonic slide began.

I started the Royal Canadian Air Force 5BX program in 1965. It was also featured in the Kennedy fitness push.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Another last blast of American humanity in 1964, featuring Preston's vigorous, exhortative style. The show -- Ben Franklin in Paris -- sank like a stone as LBJ's new ZIO-War state was beginning the Vietnam carnage. God, I miss the country that began to disappear over the course of 1964.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWhv7dQe6AA