Why is almost all quality food more expensive in Mexico?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Why is almost all quality food more expensive in Mexico?

Post by Tsar »

Even more expensive than the United States...

But much, much more compared to nations with similar median incomes and cost of livings?

(I am referring to food in grocery stores)

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why is almost all quality food more expensive in Mexico?

Post by Tsar »

I just got back shopping and I spent under $25.00 on food at a grocery store at my new location. Enough to last a few days or several meals. The same products would have cost me at least $50.00 in Mexico but most wouldn't be the same superior European quality.

In the US, the grocery bill would have been about $40.00-$45.00 for comparable quality to Europe, maybe closer to $40.00 adjusting for some proportion differentials.
Voyager1
Junior Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

It's the same in every country. Local food with local ingredients is always going to be cheaper than imported goods. It's the cost of transportation that drives the price up. I talked about this in my other thread. Many times you can using local ingredients make the product you desire and it often takes better than something out of a can or jar.
Wonder Woman
Tsar's a Wonder Woman

Tsar's a Wonder
A Wonder Woman
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Voyager1 wrote:
January 14th, 2022, 11:53 am
It's the same in every country. Local food with local ingredients is always going to be cheaper than imported goods. It's the cost of transportation that drives the price up. I talked about this in my other thread. Many times you can using local ingredients make the product you desire and it often takes better than something out of a can or jar.
Well, Saudi Arabia for example is almost entirely desert so it imports almost all it's food and it would likely be all quality foods.

In Mexico, most things were filled with high fructose corn syrup making it almost impossible to even find juice without it. Then there was trans fat on top of the high fructose corn syrup. GMO corn is widely in the food supply because of trade with America.

For example, I would sometimes buy snacks and the salt would literally hurt my teeth. But that never happened anywhere else with snacks.

It's also doesn't make sense that the United States could be more affordable for quality foods than Mexico but that's the case. I assume better food regulations?

Must be that some countries where quantity is much greatly preferred over quality, there's much less quality food, making the scarcer quality foods either limited local batches or imports, so that low supply makes prices high because of demand or little competition?

Also, I didn't have any stovetop or oven to cook fresh meals.

I ended up eating mainly instant ramen for three entire months. Before that when I had a microwave but no access to boiled clean water, I ate packaged refried beans with hot sauce. Ended up on my longest keto diet.