Recipes For Healthy & Cheap Meals

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Recipes For Healthy & Cheap Meals

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Soup Recipe

Hey guys. For those of you who like to cook or who like to eat healthy for relatively cheap I have a cracking soup recipe to share with you all that is cheap, delicious, healthy and easy as f**k to make.

Ingredients:

Lurpak Butter
1 Red Onion
3 Garlic Cloves
2 Red Chili's
1 Sweet Potato (I use this for a reduction in carbs, but you can use a normal potato if you prefer)
2 Bags of Liquid Vegetable Stock
1 Bag of Spinach Leaves.
1 Pot of Natural Yogurt.
1. Bag of Cashew Nuts
1. Pot Chili Flakes (Optional)

Steps:

1. Get a decent sized cooking pot and chop the chili, onion and garlic. Put a spoon full of butter into the pan and then throw in your chopped chili, garlic and onion. Stir for 5 mins and don't let them stick.

2. Chop the sweet potato (You can do this before you throw garlic, onion and chili in the pot) into small cubes and throw them in the pot, then pour in the two bags of vegetable stock and 200ml of water. Bang a lid on and do whatever you want for about 15 minutes until the potato chucks are soft. You don't want to have the heat up too high or you might burn it.

3. Once the potato is soft enough to slide a fork through them with ease, throw in your bag of spinach and stir it until all the leaves wilt. After that pour the entire thing into a blender and keep blending until the chuncks are blended into a soup. The mix should turn green in the blender with the spinach.

4. Get a frying pan (no oil) and toast your cashews. Then pour your soup from the blender into a bowl. Add the cashews and mix them into your bowl of soup, then put a drizzle of yogurt over it, a sprinkle of chili flakes and you're good to go.

Let me know what you think to the recipe and if you have any tweaks or preferences you would add.
Last edited by Pixel--Dude on October 23rd, 2022, 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Soup Recipe

Post by Tsar »

@Pixel--Dude

What are the grams of the bag of cashews that you use and the liters of the pot that you use cook the soup?

Do you make enough for one meal or do you make it so there's leftovers?

Also, what is Lurpak Butter?

I assume natural yogurt means plain yogurt without anything added to it?

Are you a vegetarian or is the soup by chance vegetarian because meat is an expensive ingredient?
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Re: Soup Recipe

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Tsar wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 9:28 am
@Pixel--Dude

What are the grams of the bag of cashews that you use and the liters of the pot that you use cook the soup?

Do you make enough for one meal or do you make it so there's leftovers?

Also, what is Lurpak Butter?

I assume natural yogurt means plain yogurt without anything added to it?

Are you a vegetarian or is the soup by chance vegetarian because meat is an expensive ingredient?
Hey @Tsar how you doing man? Yeah you can get as many cashews as you want and toast all of them. Even if you don't put them in the soup you are missing out if you've never tried toasted cashews, they are just way better. I usually just put a handful in the soup because they make it quite filling.

Lurpak is a brand here in the UK. Any butter will do, its just to stop the onions and garlic and chilli from sticking to the pan.

Yeah, natural yogurt. Just plain yogurt. You only need a drizzle.

I am pescetarian. I still eat fish, although I've not been having it as much. This recipe is good because it is healthy, tasty, cheap and easy to make.

If you have a shot let me know what you thought or if you made any tweaks to make it better. You got any decent recipes, Tsar?
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Re: Recipes For Healthy & Cheap Meals

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Simple Salad

Got another decent recipe to share for those who want to eat healthy and who want something pretty cheap to make. This is a simple salad, consisting of only a few ingredients, but still very tasty (in my opinion :lol: )

Ingredients:

2 Large Avocados
1 Lime
Feta Cheese
Cherry Tomatoes or Plum Tomatoes

Steps:

1. Scoop out the avocados into a bowl and mash with a fork or something so it is nice and soft. Cut a slice of lime and squeeze the juice into the bowl with the avocado.

2. Cut the tomatoes in half or quarters and add to the bowl. Take the feta cheese and slice into cubes and add to the bowl as well.

3. As an optional addition you can add a bit of salt, but the good salt, not basic table salt. Mix the lot up and it is ready to serve.

Quick.
Easy.
Healthy.
And cheap.

If anyone wants to tweak the recipe you can do. If you try it and like it/hate it let me know. If you can think of a way to improve on the recipe also let me know. I'll update this thread every now and again to add some new recipes to share with you guys.
glanmit
Freshman Poster

Post by glanmit »

Discovered for myself Couscous recently. So cheap, simple to cook and can be also delicious.
glanmit
Freshman Poster

Post by glanmit »

Here is my favorite recipe of couscous salad
In a small mixing bowl whisk together remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice and garlic.
To bowl with couscous add tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta, almonds if using, parsley, and mint.
Pour dressing over everything and toss to evenly coat.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Those simple healthy meals, possibility to buy trulicity online and regular exercises help me to live an absolutely normal life, despite the fact that i have a type two diabetes and will have it for the rest of my life.
Last edited by glanmit on March 31st, 2023, 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

Beef and Beet Borscht

Ingredients
1 (1 inch thick) slice
Bone-In Beef Shank
3 quarts Water
1 Onion (chopped)
1 cup Carrots (chopped)
½ cup Celery (chopped)
1 Bay Leaf
3 cups Beets (diced peeled)
2 cups Cabbage (chopped)
¼ cup White Vinegar (or to taste)
add Salt And Ground Black Pepper
1 cup Sour Cream (for garnish)
2 tablespoons Fresh Dill (chopped, for garnish)

Step 1
Cook beef shank in a large soup pot over high heat until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Add water, onion, carrots, celery, and bay leaf; bring to a simmer and cook until meat is tender and falling off the bone, about 4 hours. Strain broth and discard solids.

Step 2
Combine beef broth, beets, and cabbage in the same pot; cook, stirring occasionally, until beets are tender, about 30 minutes. Reduce heat to low; add vinegar, salt, and black pepper.

Step 3
Serve soup in bowls garnished with sour cream and dill.
michael.gaines
Freshman Poster

Post by michael.gaines »

Air fried potatoes are a healthier alternative to traditional deep-fried potatoes, as they use significantly less oil while still producing crispy and delicious results. Here's a simple and tasty recipe for air-fried potatoes:

Ingredients:

4 medium-sized potatoes (russet, Yukon gold, or your preferred variety)
2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon paprika (optional, for added flavor)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (adjust to taste)
Fresh parsley or chives for garnish (optional)

Instructions:
1. Wash and scrub the potatoes thoroughly to remove any dirt or debris. You can peel the potatoes if you prefer, but leaving the skin on adds extra nutrients and texture.
2. Cut the potatoes into evenly sized pieces. You can make them into thin strips (fries) or chunky wedges, depending on your preference.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the potato pieces with olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. Toss the potatoes until they are evenly coated with the seasoning.
4. Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for a few minutes.
5. Once the air fryer is preheated, place the seasoned potato pieces in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Avoid overcrowding the basket; you may need to cook them in batches if your air fryer is small.
6. Cook the potatoes in the air fryer for about 15-20 minutes, shaking the basket or tossing the potatoes halfway through to ensure even cooking.
7. Check the potatoes for crispiness and doneness. If they need more time, continue cooking for a few more minutes until they reach your desired level of crispiness.
8. Once the potatoes are ready, transfer them to a serving plate and garnish with fresh parsley or chives if desired.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

Fried Egg Sandwich

Lightly oil your non-stick pan and turn to medium heat. Crack on two eggs, do not scramble. Cook them till they are just hard. Do not overcook. I usually flip mine over.

Toast two slices of bread lightly brown. Apply generous amounts of real butter. This is a key step. The more butter the better your sandwich will taste.

Place on your eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste. Slice in half. Enjoy.

This recipe sounds simple but it really is good.