Basic fighting skills

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Re: Basic fighting skills

Post by HouseMD »

Cornfed wrote:
January 23rd, 2023, 6:25 am
HouseMD wrote:
January 23rd, 2023, 6:23 am
Cornfed wrote:
January 23rd, 2023, 6:21 am
BTW, does anyone know what the rules of engagement are for bouncers and other security people are in America and Latin America? When is it acceptable to strike people and such?
In the United States it is the same as for any civilian, and thus is state-by-state in nature.
What would be common though? I would ask about Texas, but it sounds like that might be an outlier.
In conservative states, fear of significant threat is often the metric. This is the case in places like Texas and Florida, where stand your ground policies are in place, in which even lethal force can be utilized if a reasonable persin believes their life is in danger. In liberal states, it is often limited to self-defense after an assault has started, and force must not be out of proportion to that expected by an attacker. My best friend's father did 20 years in a liberal state for killing two guys that attacked him with knives behind a bar, with the argument being that he used excessive force, despite the clear intent these men had to kill him

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

HouseMD wrote:
January 23rd, 2023, 6:35 am
In conservative states, fear of significant threat is often the metric. This is the case in places like Texas and Florida, where stand your ground policies are in place, in which even lethal force can be utilized if a reasonable persin believes their life is in danger. In liberal states, it is often limited to self-defense after an assault has started, and force must not be out of proportion to that expected by an attacker. My best friend's father did 20 years in a liberal state for killing two guys that attacked him with knives behind a bar, with the argument being that he used excessive force, despite the clear intent these men had to kill him
I'm thinking more of throwing drunks out of bars or throwing protesters out of events where they are not necessarily trying to kill you. There is not much you can do about situations like the one you describe other than not live among libtards.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Cornfed wrote:
January 23rd, 2023, 6:42 am
HouseMD wrote:
January 23rd, 2023, 6:35 am
I'm thinking more of throwing drunks out of bars or throwing protesters out of events where they are not necessarily trying to kill you. There is not much you can do about situations like the one you describe other than not live among libtards.
Same rules as anyone else, can't put hands on someone unless they escalate first. Many bouncers try to get around this by egging someone on into escalation, which is easy enough with the kinds of people they are typically trying to deal with.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

HouseMD wrote:
January 23rd, 2023, 6:46 am
Same rules as anyone else, can't put hands on someone unless they escalate first. Many bouncers try to get around this by egging someone on into escalation, which is easy enough with the kinds of people they are typically trying to deal with.
That is pretty much what I thought and the same as NZ. You used to be able to use much more force in the good old days in NZ, but the definition of "reasonable force" has changed without there being any change in the law. I put this down to NZ becoming more pussified, but perhaps things are becoming internationally standardised.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Cornfed wrote:
January 23rd, 2023, 6:50 am
That is pretty much what I thought and the same as NZ. You used to be able to use much more force in the good old days in NZ, but the definition of "reasonable force" has changed without there being any change in the law. I put this down to NZ becoming more pussified, but perhaps things are becoming internationally standardised.
Used to be that way in the US as well, for the most part, but people seem to have forgotten that the threat of a good beating can keep some people from crossing the threshold into uncivilized behavior
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

I had six people turn up to my last lesson, so maybe I'm hitting the big time. I should work out a proper syllabus.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Cornfed wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 1:45 pm
I had six people turn up to my last lesson, so maybe I'm hitting the big time. I should work out a proper syllabus.
Maybe you could make a career out of it
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

HouseMD wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 6:59 pm
Cornfed wrote:
I can envision the November bout in Prague being televised internationally.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

gsjackson wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 4:06 am
HouseMD wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
It's a bunch of hot air. It's nothing. I knew it was nothing because bickering over some stupid Internet forum does not warrant an actual fight where there's real consequences. That's something kids do. Adults fight over real, legitimate things, not because little Billy hurt little Johnny's feelings on the Internet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

gsjackson wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
We never reached a good agreement on it. Honestly Cornfed's reaction and this particular thread have given me a great deal more respect for him, and have changed how I view him as a person. The purpose was more to get someone I viewed as unmotivated to change to motivate and change himself, rather than about any ideals being discussed or any fight being fought or won. But Cornfed is already doing that, so it kind of makes the point of the whole endeavor moot.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

HouseMD wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 7:10 am
gsjackson wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
We never reached a good agreement on it. Honestly Cornfed's reaction and this particular thread have given me a great deal more respect for him, and have changed how I view him as a person. The purpose was more to get someone I viewed as unmotivated to change to motivate and change himself, rather than about any ideals being discussed or any fight being fought or won. But Cornfed is already doing that, so it kind of makes the point of the whole endeavor moot.
Sounds like a cop-out to me :lol:
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 7:15 am
HouseMD wrote:
gsjackson wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
I made my motivations pretty clear previously. I'm not some savage that wants to fight for the sake of inflicting violence upon someone else, but rather as an opportunity for personal growth for the both of us. Let's not rule out a friendly boxing match in the future, but my reasons for it weren't in line with who he is as a person. He's far more respectable than I had imagined him to be.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

HouseMD wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 7:30 am
Pixel--Dude wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 7:15 am
HouseMD wrote:
gsjackson wrote:
HouseMD wrote:

I made my motivations pretty clear previously. I'm not some savage that wants to fight for the sake of inflicting violence upon someone else, but rather as an opportunity for personal growth for the both of us. Let's not rule out a friendly boxing match in the future, but my reasons for it weren't in line with who he is as a person. He's far more respectable than I had imagined him to be.
Sounds fair enough. I was only messing around anyway. I wouldn't like to fight Cornfed personally, I've seen the size of his arms and they're like tree trunks lol
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 9:03 am
Sounds fair enough. I was only messing around anyway. I wouldn't like to fight Cornfed personally, I've seen the size of his arms and they're like tree trunks lol
I'm fairly small in person. A little elevated muscle doesn't count for much. Although I am getting used to it, even manhandling my teenaged students is difficult. Then again, they're mostly fairly big.

Getting back to the topic, what would be some minimally expensive equipment to do sparring? It seems stuff is really cheap on Amazon now. We could get started with a couple of pairs of 12oz gloves, a pair of focus pads, and some of those cheap rubber mouth guards. There seem to be cheap puzzle mats on Amazon. Is there any standard for Judo-type sparring?
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Cornfed wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 9:27 am
Pixel--Dude wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 9:03 am
I'm fairly small in person. A little elevated muscle doesn't count for much. Although I am getting used to it, even manhandling my teenaged students is difficult. Then again, they're mostly fairly big.

Getting back to the topic, what would be some minimally expensive equipment to do sparring? It seems stuff is really cheap on Amazon now. We could get started with a couple of pairs of 12oz gloves, a pair of focus pads, and some of those cheap rubber mouth guards. There seem to be cheap puzzle mats on Amazon. Is there any standard for Judo-type sparring?
If you're practicing striking I would recommend head guards for those sessions as well, no need to be getting CTE for no good reason. Puzzle mats may not absorb enough impact for hard takedowns though, so be mindful of anything that will send someone head or neck first into the mat