Basic fighting skills

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Re: Basic fighting skills

Post by kangarunner »

Cornfed wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 1:45 pm
The purpose was more to get someone I viewed as unmotivated to change to motivate and change himself, rather than about any ideals being discussed or any fight being fought or won. But Cornfed is already doing that, so it kind of makes the point of the whole endeavor moot.
You trying to be his daddy?

Come on kid, I'll motivate you to be a better person kid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

Cornfed wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 9:27 am
I'm fairly small in person.
Just like your penis.
Cornfed wrote:
even manhandling my teenaged students is difficult. Then again, they're mostly fairly big.
Careful that'll get yer 5-10...
Cornfed wrote:
Getting back to the topic, what would be some minimally expensive equipment to do sparring? It seems stuff is really cheap on Amazon now. We could get started with a couple of pairs of 12oz gloves, a pair of focus pads, and some of those cheap rubber mouth guards. There seem to be cheap puzzle mats on Amazon. Is there any standard for Judo-type sparring?
Lace up bull. Come here bull. Come see daddy for a beating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

kangarunner wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 11:09 am
Lace up bull. Come here bull. Come see daddy for a beating.
😂😂😂

HouseMD: "I'll fight you in a boxing ring in Prague, buddy!"

Kangarunner: "You're not that guy pal! Trust me, you're not that guy!"

HouseMD: "Are you that guy?"

Kangarunner: "Absolutely!"
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

HouseMD wrote:
January 26th, 2023, 10:27 am
no need to be getting CTE for no good reason.
From first website Google showed: "symptoms of CTE include memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse control problems, aggression, depression, anxiety, suicidality, parkinsonism, and, eventually, progressive dementia.

He's already got the confusion, impaired judgment and lots of verbal impulse control problems and verbal aggression, but I suppose you're right that he doesn't want to add the other symptoms to his current status.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

I've ordered a mat and gloves so we can spar. What is the standard sparring like in martial arts classes these days? Is full contact sparring common? I want to minimise the risk of injury.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Cornfed wrote:
February 15th, 2023, 2:25 pm
I've ordered a mat and gloves so we can spar. What is the standard sparring like in martial arts classes these days? Is full contact sparring common? I want to minimise the risk of injury.
No, full-contact sparring is not common. Most customers would be too p***y to do full-contact sparring and it would only increase the risk of injury and concussions anyway. It is better to do light sparring most of the time and to do hard sparring only from time to time. The focus should be on technique and learning together with a bit of tough love on rare occasions.

I know some fighters who trained at American Top Team in Florida. They told me that the training was extremely scientific and that they mostly sparred light. That's at an elite-level MMA gym.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

If I have the equipment next week I might try judo-type sparring where a win consists of a clean throw, restraint on the ground on either front or back or submission. At some point I might try pankration-type sparring with gloves, but I'll have to think of some rules.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Lucas88 wrote:
February 15th, 2023, 5:13 pm
No, full-contact sparring is not common. Most customers would be too p***y to do full-contact sparring and it would only increase the risk of injury and concussions anyway. It is better to do light sparring most of the time and to do hard sparring only from time to time. The focus should be on technique and learning together with a bit of tough love on rare occasions.
We might do some sparring tonight. Ramsey Dewey recommends sparring with open hands within the gloves to avoid really hard punches. Does that actually work?
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Cornfed wrote:
February 23rd, 2023, 7:33 am
We might do some sparring tonight. Ramsey Dewey recommends sparring with open hands within the gloves to avoid really hard punches. Does that actually work?
I'm not sure. We've never done sparring with open-handed strikes at my MMA gym. We just used to punch normal but without full power. I personally don't see any reason to introduce unnatural striking mechanics into sparring.

Back when I was learning Brazilian Jiujitsu we would sometimes do exercises in which the guy on top would simulate punches with slaps but that was more to get the guy on the bottom to defend himself and learn how to perform Jiujitsu techniques under pressure in a fight with strikes. If you are teaching students how to strike, it would probably be best to have them spar using the techniques that they've been taught.

This is just my opinion on the matter. I'm sure that Ramsey Dewey has his own reasons. He's an excellent coach.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Lucas88 wrote:
February 23rd, 2023, 1:46 pm
I'm not sure. We've never done sparring with open-handed strikes at my MMA gym. We just used to punch normal but without full power. I personally don't see any reason to introduce unnatural striking mechanics into sparring.

Back when I was learning Brazilian Jiujitsu we would sometimes do exercises in which the guy on top would simulate punches with slaps but that was more to get the guy on the bottom to defend himself and learn how to perform Jiujitsu techniques under pressure in a fight with strikes. If you are teaching students how to strike, it would probably be best to have them spar using the techniques that they've been taught.

This is just my opinion on the matter. I'm sure that Ramsey Dewey has his own reasons. He's an excellent coach.
I don't mean doing slaps BTW. I mean what Ramsey suggests in this short vid.

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Here are some clips of a session with just a couple of students showing the kind of things we are doing. Is this the sort of thing people would expect with a basic class?

https://rumble.com/v2art9k-fighting-ski ... orial.html
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Cornfed wrote:
February 24th, 2023, 8:35 am
Here are some clips of a session with just a couple of students showing the kind of things we are doing. Is this the sort of thing people would expect with a basic class?

Nice setup, bro!

You got the crash mats next to the jigsaw mats. In my experience, people tend to really like any kind of training involving crash mats. They find it fun.

I think you have the right idea for your classes. Basic boxing combos, clinchwork, a few Judo throws and restraining techniques.

I'd personally make the striking a bit more dynamic. I'd have the students put on MMA gloves and actually try to hit each other with the preset combos. The defending guy has to parry the jabs and block the crosses with an elbow shield. This teaches the defending guy how to react to strikes. He also learns how to take a punch since some strikes will inevitably get through. We used to do this type of training at my MMA gym together with Dutch drilling.

Also, try to correct your students' defective mechanics. At about the 1:10 mark your student has a really open guard which offers no defense and negatively affects his punching mechanics. Tell him where he's going wrong and instill good habits from the beginning. :D

Hey, I thought you were in Mexico and those students look extremely White and European for Mexicans. Are you in another country now or are you living in a gringo expat community?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Lucas88 wrote:
February 24th, 2023, 11:30 am
I think you have the right idea for your classes. Basic boxing combos, clinchwork, a few Judo throws and restraining techniques.

I'd personally make the striking a bit more dynamic. I'd have the students put on MMA gloves and actually try to hit each other with the preset combos. The defending guy has to parry the jabs and block the crosses with an elbow shield. This teaches the defending guy how to react to strikes. He also learns how to take a punch since some strikes will inevitably get through. We used to do this type of training at my MMA gym together with Dutch drilling.

Also, try to correct your students' defective mechanics. At about the 1:10 mark your student has a really open guard which offers no defense and negatively affects his punching mechanics. Tell him where he's going wrong and instill good habits from the beginning. :D

Hey, I thought you were in Mexico and those students look extremely White and European for Mexicans. Are you in another country now or are you living in a gringo expat community?
With the striking, I was trying to train a particular drill which differs from boxing. We did some boxing-type training later on, but as I have just got the gloves I am still working this out, so it was a bit embarrassing to post. My own skills turn out to need work. I'll try your suggestion. The students are of Mennonite background. I think this makes them of mostly Dutch descent, which explains their large size for their ages.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Cornfed wrote:
February 24th, 2023, 11:41 am
My own skills turn out to need work.
That kind of reflection is normal when you begin teaching. I experienced the same thing when I first began teaching no-gi Jiujitsu at my local MMA gym. All of a sudden, basic ability to perform techniques was no longer enough for me. I now needed to understand the mechanics of techniques in greater depth in order to be able to break them down for novice students and ensure an effective transmission of knowledge. I would spend a lot of time on YouTube studying all of the miniscule details of the techniques that I had decided to teach and thinking about how I would explain the correct mechanics to my students. As a result of this my own knowledge of technique grew significantly. Teaching martial arts is really good for self-development and will make you a better martial artist.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Cornfed wrote:
February 24th, 2023, 8:35 am

This video got a surprising amount of views after being up only a day. I wonder whether a channel with training vids and self defense tips would be of interest to anyone.