Is it healthier to live at lower altitudes or higher altitudes?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Is it healthier to live at lower altitudes or higher altitudes?

Post by Lucas88 »

I've been interested in some of the highland cities of Colombia lately, most notably Medellín (1,495m), Pereira (1,411m), Armenia (1,551), and Ibagué (1,285). I regard tropical highland cities as my ideal primarily for their year-round stable temperate climates.

Mountain regions are placed into one of the following three categories based on the degree of their elevation:

High altitude = 1,500–3,500 meters

Very high altitude = 3,500–5,500 meters

Extreme altitude = Above 5,500 meters

The Colombian cities which I am interested in are mostly just below the high altitude mark or slightly above it. However, the Colombian capital of Bogotá is situated at a considerably higher altitude of 2,640m and the more eastern city of Tunja is situated at an even greater altitude of 2,822m.

Anecdotally, I have visited the very high altitude city of Juliaca, Peru, which has an altitude of 3,825m and is the fourth highest city in the world. All I can say is that it wasn't very nice. It was tremendously cold at night and breathing was difficult at times.

Now let's get to the question: Is it healthier to live at lower altitudes or higher altitudes?

I've read that living at high altitude reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Apparently at high altitude the body adapts and creates new blood vessels. But I'm not a doctor, so correct me if this information is wrong.

Nevertheless, as altitude increases oxygen concentration progressively decreases and oxygen intake becomes more difficult. Does this reduction of oxygen intake result in accelerated aging and have a negative impact on life expectancy? If so, at what level of elevation does it start to become a problem?

I know that @gsjackson is a health fanatic - and wisely so. I'm sure that you will have researched different environments and their influence on health. Do you have an opinion on what range of altitude is optimal for health and physical and psychological wellbeing?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Re: Is it healthier to live at lower altitudes or higher altitudes?

Post by WilliamSmith »

@Lucas88
Interesting question! I don't know the answer, but I subscribed, and am just indulging myself in HA binging again with misc thoughts. :)

I'm going to be living at sea level from now on, because of my new passion for sailing. (Though you never know if I might bolt up to the likes of higher elevations of the Blue Mountains or Pico Duarte or something.)

But on the other hand, I'm most definitely a "son of northern darkness" by blood, and have done a lot of exploring high elevation zones over the decades (I have been to Europe, including Scandinavia, and some other foreign high-elevation countries too, but my own xp is mostly in PNW or American Mountain country, eg Idaho and Montana or the "Cascades" mountain range), and would guess a lot of my more robust genes come from "highlanders," so to speak.

What I've always heard (based on whites and black Africans, not sure about other genetic groups) is that higher-elevation bloodlines often dominate in cardio-based stuff.
Sometimes that had a big impact on UFC tournaments even, when guys who suddenly went up to Rocky Mountains venues (I think it might have been Boulder, Colorado) were bitching about the "altitude" because they couldn't breathe. For example, sluggers like Tank Abbot from Huntington Beach, California.
(I recall more than one match where he lost and then had a lot of vociferous stuff to declare about why he supposedly wouldn't have tapped out if not for "the elevation," "I haven't been training, I've been partyin'", etc. :lol: )
However, some of the strongest and healthiest people are on islands at sea level for many generations, as long as they have a solid diet. (Jamaicans, for instance...)
If you're serious about "taking the red pill," read thoroughly researched work by an unbiased "American intellectual soldier of our age" to learn what controlled media doesn't want you to see 8) : https://www.unz.com/page/american-pravda-series/
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

@Lucas88
@WilliamSmith

I think I'm in agreement with you, WilliamSmith. I feel a strange affinity with the ocean. Given the choice I think I would prefer to live at sea as well, or at the very least on the coast. Being at the coast makes me feel at peace. Listening to the waves lazily lapping at the shore with its soothing melodious rhythm makes me feel at peace.

Living at a high altitude, like up a mountain would have its perks as well. The views would be breath taking, and if I was more artistically inclined and talented I believe I would find a lot of peace sitting on a patio of my log cabin, drawing the scenery my position would overlook.

Both these scenarios are idyllic. But given the choice I think I'd choose the sea. Like I said I have an affinity towards it. I find it mysterious, beautiful and relaxing. I think the reason both scenarios resonate well is because isolation isn't something I fear or dislike. A lot of the time I crave to just be alone and away from most NPC normies and their bullshit :lol:
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
February 10th, 2023, 12:38 am
I think I'm in agreement with you, WilliamSmith. I feel a strange affinity with the ocean. Given the choice I think I would prefer to live at sea as well, or at the very least on the coast. Being at the coast makes me feel at peace. Listening to the waves lazily lapping at the shore with its soothing melodious rhythm makes me feel at peace.

Living at a high altitude, like up a mountain would have its perks as well. The views would be breath taking, and if I was more artistically inclined and talented I believe I would find a lot of peace sitting on a patio of my log cabin, drawing the scenery my position would overlook.

Both these scenarios are idyllic. But given the choice I think I'd choose the sea. Like I said I have an affinity towards it. I find it mysterious, beautiful and relaxing. I think the reason both scenarios resonate well is because isolation isn't something I fear or dislike. A lot of the time I crave to just be alone and away from most NPC normies and their bullshit :lol:
I like the ocean too. I especially love the city of Valencia which is located on the Mediterranean coast.

However, the Mediterranean climate gets too hot in summer. In the months of July and August Valencia for example has an average high of above 32º (89-90F) and can easily surpass 35º and sometimes even reach 40º (105F). In that case the heat becomes oppressive and unbearable.

Highland cities situated in the tropics and therefore relatively close to the Equator can have excellent climates with pleasantly warm spring-like temperatures all year round and with almost no variation. Medellín, which sits at an altitude of 1,495m, has an average high of about 27º (80F) and an average low of about 17º (62F) every month and so it is never too hot or too cold. It's just perfect! Various other tropical cities situated at moderately high elevation also have this "eternal spring" effect such as the other Colombian cities which I named in my OP, Santo Domingo in Ecuador, San Ignacio in Peru, Cochabamba in Bolivia, etc. If you live in the tropics, sea level temperatures can be extremely hot. At tropical latitudes, it's better to live in the highlights if you prefer temperate climates.

Living at altitude in northern and southern latitudes is a completely different story. In places like Europe, Canada and Central Asia, altitude only serves to intensify the cold and create an effect of "eternal winter". Moreover, very high/extreme altitude even in the tropics results in a place being unpleasantly cold. El Alto, which is the second largest city in Bolivia and is situated at an altitude of 4,150m, is as cold as our hometown in the UK and frequently reaches minus temperatures at night. That's pretty horrible, especially with the additional reduced oxygen concentration and the breathing difficulties and altitude sickness. :(

Anyway, I'm a big fan of highland cities located in the tropics for the reason explained above.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Bulgaria offers both, and not too far apart. I'm going to spend part of this summer in Bansko, a ski/golf resort in the mountains, and part on the Black Sea coast. For about five percent of what it would cost to do that in a comparable region like California.

I feel a bit better at about a mile above seal level, but you do suck eggs for a while until you build up your wind. And there are few things better for your health than spending a couple weeks at the sea shore and getting yourself out in the sun, sand and surf. My Ukrainian hair cutter said that the saying when she grew up was -- a week at the Black Sea in the summer and you'll go the entire school year without getting sick.
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
February 10th, 2023, 12:38 am
@Lucas88
@WilliamSmith

@Pixel--Dude
The sea is beautiful, inspiring, hypnotic (the sense of surging waves of energy), and oftentimes terrifying (not all at the same time, of course).

I love watching the sunlight spark brilliant gemfire off the water...

I've had a lot of great experiences watching whales, sea turtles, seals, sea lions, and of course all kinds of sea birds.

I know a guy who was also pulled off his surfboard by a Great White that chowed down on his leg and dragged him a good way underwater, but it let him go (lucky!), so he got away with just a big mess of flesh wounds....

Taking deep comfort in living by the sea and not really being satisfied anywhere elsewhere is a funny thing, since life would be a lot safer well away from tropical cyclones, earthquakes causing tidal waves, and so on.

Also, there's few more free lifestyle choices out there than being a liveaboard. We should stay in touch about that. Based on your dissatisfaction with modern life, you might like it........
If you're serious about "taking the red pill," read thoroughly researched work by an unbiased "American intellectual soldier of our age" to learn what controlled media doesn't want you to see 8) : https://www.unz.com/page/american-pravda-series/
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

@Lucas88

Yes, you made some good points about different altitudes and the extremities these altitudes can bring based on where abouts you are. I do love the ocean, but I don't cope well with unbearable and oppressive heat like what you explained can be experienced near tropical coastal areas. Mountains and areas at higher altitudes with their constant winters sound equally testing. Though in fairness I can cope much better in the cold than in the heat. I've always said that "heat" and "hate" are anagrams of each other for a reason. :lol:

@WilliamSmith

I do find modern life completely unsatisfactory. That's why I agree with your chosen lifestyle and would love to have the resources to start a new life at sea, where I could enjoy the peace the ocean brings me and the much preferred isolation as opposed to living among NPC bumpkins who, to be frank, just piss me the f**k off!
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

Maybe China Can Answer this Question

1. High Altitude
Tibet- Elevation 14,370 feet average elevation
Life Expectancy- 72.19 Years

2. Low Altitude
Hainan- 144 feet average elevation
Life Expectancy- 78.57 Years

ANSWER! :o LOW ALTITUDE IS HEALTHIER!
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
February 11th, 2023, 7:47 am
@WilliamSmith

I do find modern life completely unsatisfactory. That's why I agree with your chosen lifestyle and would love to have the resources to start a new life at sea, where I could enjoy the peace the ocean brings me and the much preferred isolation as opposed to living among NPC bumpkins who, to be frank, just piss me the f**k off!
@Pixel--Dude
I think you might like it!

If you're a single-hander, it can be potentially dangerous in a lot of places unless you're in convoy, but it's still possible to find beautiful anchorages where you can live rent-free, and there's a real mixture of adventure and romance built into the entire experience...

When I get back here again in around a month, I will be glad to post what I can about being a liveaboard. (Also, you can always email me anytime, I'll try to check that at least once a week.)

Fixing and flipping boats, diesel engine repair, and stuff like that, is sort of what I'm aiming for my offline specialties (other than hypnotism, hahah), in case all my other stuff based on the internet gets cancelled by....... ((( TPTB ))) :)

Many people mistakenly assume you have to be wealthy to get a boat and become a liveaboard, but that's not the case: Much like RVs, the new costs from a dealership can be very high and require "financing," but prices often plummet on used ones.
Of course, if you go for budget / fixer-up boats, there's going to be either a big investment in learning to fix and maintain them, or else invest in repairs from a pro... But the acquisition cost can be surprisingly low (literally under $10k in some cases for a small monohull in need of some repair).
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Jonny Law wrote:
February 11th, 2023, 7:58 am
Maybe China Can Answer this Question

1. High Altitude
Tibet- Elevation 14,370 feet average elevation
Life Expectancy- 72.19 Years

2. Low Altitude
Hainan- 144 feet average elevation
Life Expectancy- 78.57 Years

ANSWER! :o LOW ALTITUDE IS HEALTHIER!
But that doesn't necessarily equal causation. There might be extraneous variables that contribute to the lower life expectancy of high-altitude Tibet vs. low-altitude Hainan such as differences in the quality of diet, sanitation, medicine, etc. Without controlling for other factors, the difference in life expectancy doesn't prove anything.

Also Tibet is an example of residence at very high altitude (4,380m and above). Even if it can be proven that altitude is the reason for Tibet's lower life expectancy, what about settlements at more moderate levels of altitude such as Medellín (1,495m) or Mexico City (2,240m)? At what point does high altitude begin to have negative effects on health?