White guys, mercs, Congo, 1965

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

White guys, mercs, Congo, 1965

Post by Cornfed »

If only I lived in those times. But then maybe I lived in similar times but was too much of a loser to cash in on them. I don't think so though. I think I am a man out of my time. These guys seem awesome to me.

Shemp
Experienced Poster

Re: White guys, mercs, Congo, 1965

Post by Shemp »

Africans engaged in civil war still hire ex-military whites as mercenaries, especially for technical skills like helicopter mechanics/pilots, anything to do with electronics, etc. Ditto for mining companies in Africa: they often import whites for the highly skilled technical jobs for lack of local talent.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Shemp wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 4:15 am
Africans engaged in civil war still hire ex-military whites as mercenaries, especially for technical skills like helicopter mechanics/pilots, anything to do with electronics, etc. Ditto for mining companies in Africa: they often import whites for the highly skilled technical jobs for lack of local talent.
Yes, well I'm not interested in being hired as a machinist. If it is not for writing or teaching it might as well be for blowing people away, but strangely that opportunity seems to have sailed, apart from a few sell-outs working for the global elite.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Here is an interesting excerpt from an interview with the commander of the mercenaries featured above, Mike Hoare, who incidentally died just the other day aged 100.

yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

The Rhodesians would have had you for sure all throughout the seventies - you would have been sent straight to the bush though... no arsing around as a pay clerk.. :D