Tower Records (2015) documentary

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
HappyGuy

Tower Records (2015) documentary

Post by HappyGuy »

All Things Must Pass (2015)
https://tubitv.com/movies/516189/all_things_must_pass

"It wasn’t the internet that killed Tower Records."

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Tower Records (2015) documentary

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

This was great to watch. I used to LOVE visiting Tower records as a high school kid in the 1980s. They did retail music very right.

However, the baby boomer management team of "buddies" were in over their heads because of early success. I personally remember resenting having to spend almost $20 for an entire CD when I just wanted a few particular songs. That greed gave them early success, but ultimately killed them. Had they listened to their sagacious finance guy and paid attention developing threat of online music, they would have had time to adapt.

It is great to see that Japan has a thriving Tower Records brand and that they revere Russ the creator of the company. Leave it to Japan to get difficult things right.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
July 8th, 2020, 2:08 am
This was great to watch. I used to LOVE visiting Tower records as a high school kid in the 1980s. They did retail music very right.

However, the baby boomer management team of "buddies" were in over their heads because of early success. I personally remember resenting having to spend almost $20 for an entire CD when I just wanted a few particular songs. That greed gave them early success, but ultimately killed them. Had they listened to their sagacious finance guy and paid attention developing threat of online music, they would have had time to adapt.

It is great to see that Japan has a thriving Tower Records brand and that they revere Russ the creator of the company. Leave it to Japan to get difficult things right.
I wish that Record World, Crazy Eddie's and V.I.M. made it until today, but they too had fallen by the waistside. Those my were my pinnacle stores to shop at growing up in NY.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
July 9th, 2020, 1:51 pm

I wish that Record World, Crazy Eddie's and V.I.M. made it until today, but they too had fallen by the waistside. Those my were my pinnacle stores to shop at growing up in NY.
We didn't have those where I grew up. It was all mom and pop record stores. Back then, cassette tapes pushed out 8-track and albums. I marvel at how far we have come with music now!
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

July 9th, 2020, 3:02 pm
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
July 9th, 2020, 1:51 pm

We didn't have those where I grew up. It was all mom and pop record stores. Back then, cassette tapes pushed out 8-track and albums. I marvel at how far we have come with music now!
I second that because now you don't need a record-deal budget just to go to a studio when all of that can be done at home with a 2,000 dollar laptop, good 500 dollar audio-with-mic interface, 100-400 dollar studio wide diaphragm condenser phantom powered microphone and a 200 dollar MIDI keyboard controller! :shock:
We also had the mom-and-pop record stores that played the whole album in the store over the PA and you would bellow out, "Who was that? Is that Michael? Is that the new Gap Band? the new Jodeci? OMG do you have another copy."

Like a drug dealer in a whisper so the rest of the patrons in the store don't bumrush him!:
"Listen man. Calm down. Here's the last copy behind the counter...since it's opened, I'll sell it to you for a discount alright?"