Fawlty Towers

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Fawlty Towers

Post by Cornfed »

I take it that most people know about this show, but perhaps because you are Americans some of you don’t. It was an English comedy show in the 70s. It has lost its impact now, but when I first watched it as a youngster I laughed so hard that I couldn’t breathe. But maybe that is due to our particular sense of humour and the social structure of the time, but then apparently my brother’s Thai ex-wife laughed her ass off at it as well, so who knows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawlty_Towers
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Fawlty Towers

Post by gsjackson »

Cornfed wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 3:27 pm
I take it that most people know about this show, but perhaps because you are Americans some of you don’t. It was an English comedy show in the 70s. It has lost its impact now, but when I first watched it as a youngster I laughed so hard that I couldn’t breathe. But maybe that is due to our particular sense of humour and the social structure of the time, but then apparently my brother’s Thai ex-wife laughed her ass off at it as well, so who knows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawlty_Towers
I was introduced to it by some friends in the mid '80s. Guess they were reruns at that point, and what I saw were episodes put on video. Good stuff. The Pythons had a huge following in the U.S. back in those days. I doubt most Americans would even get them now. I rate Life of Brian the second funniest movie I've ever seen, after Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, which had the greatest ending in film history.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

gsjackson wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 6:17 pm
I was introduced to it by some friends in the mid '80s. Guess they were reruns at that point, and what I saw were episodes put on video. Good stuff.
See, the fact you say good stuff as opposed to shitting yourself with laughter means you just don't get it.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Cornfed wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 6:37 pm
gsjackson wrote:
I was introduced to it by some friends in the mid '80s. Guess they were reruns at that point, and what I saw were episodes put on video. Good stuff.
See, the fact you say good stuff as opposed to shitting yourself with laughter means you just don't get it.
What didn't penetrate this thick American skull? I admit they didn't quite tickle the funny bone as much as the Python movies and some of their other skits, like the funniest ever -- World Cup of Philosophy. Now that I almost shit myself from laughing. The same friends showed me Spinal Tap, and that too didn't resonate quite as much with me as with them.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

gsjackson wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 6:51 pm
Cornfed wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 6:37 pm
gsjackson wrote:
What didn't penetrate this thick American skull? I admit they didn't quite tickle the funny bone as much as the Python movies and some of their other skits, like the funniest ever -- World Cup of Philosophy. Now that I almost shit myself from laughing. The same friends showed me Spinal Tap, and that too didn't resonate quite as much with me as with them.
Yeah, so you're not quite one of us.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

I watched it growing up. Great show.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

That show was funny but over the top and too much overacting. Everything was exaggerated and extreme. lol. I guess some people like that. It's better than the comedy we have on TV now though. They used to play it on PBS and BBC but maybe not anymore. You can still see some episodes on YouTube or download the series on Torrent.

Did you also see Benny Hill or the David Allen Show too? Those were from the 70's and 80's and were supposed to be real funny too.

Monty Python also had a series that ran for two seasons but I didn't find it funny. Their movies are funny though.

What do you think of Mr. Bean? lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

I would watch Benny Hill too. Growing up, I lived near the Canadian border and we got the Canadian TV signals. The Canadian TV would play the most popular BBC shows. It was better than US television.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Winston wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 1:03 am
That show was funny but over the top and too much overacting. Everything was exaggerated and extreme. lol. I guess some people like that. It's better than the comedy we have on TV now though. They used to play it on PBS and BBC but maybe not anymore. You can still see some episodes on YouTube or download the series on Torrent.

Did you also see Benny Hill or the David Allen Show too? Those were from the 70's and 80's and were supposed to be real funny too.

Monty Python also had a series that ran for two seasons but I didn't find it funny. Their movies are funny though.

What do you think of Mr. Bean? lol
Benny Hill compared to Fawlty Towers is as excrement is compared to cream. With Monty Python, some of it was hysterical but a lot of it sucked. It was very experimental. Reading Cleese's book is instructive. Mr. Bean is largely unwatchable to me, as Atkinson himself said it would be to people like me who favour the more intellectual kind of humour.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Atkinson standing tall on one of the most pressing matters of our time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiqDZlAZygU