Top Gun Maverick

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
NPCslammer
Junior Poster

Top Gun Maverick

Post by NPCslammer »

Top gun got an insane 97% rating on rotten tomatoes by critics and 99% by audiences. The movie must be dope. Did anyone watch it yet? Thoughts

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/top_gun_maverick
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Top Gun Maverick

Post by gsjackson »

I'll see it next week but let me hazard a prediction now -- the bad guys will be Russkis. Otherwise, it seems to be fairly free of political correctness, by all accounts.

It's kind of remarkable to watch the rehabilitation of Tom Cruise by the establishment, which had been going after him tooth and claw ever since he trashed their beloved antidepressants. He's being positively lionized now by media flacks. I kind of thought the turning point was in the last Mission Impossible, in which he did his own stunts, one of which was hanging on to the outside of a plane as it was taking off. Maybe the thinking was, 'OK, this guy is a genuine badass, which the public can see, and we're going up against a force of nature.'
NPCslammer
Junior Poster

Post by NPCslammer »

gsjackson wrote:
May 29th, 2022, 10:41 am
I'll see it next week but let me hazard a prediction now -- the bad guys will be Russkis. Otherwise, it seems to be fairly free of political correctness, by all accounts.

It's kind of remarkable to watch the rehabilitation of Tom Cruise by the establishment, which had been going after him tooth and claw ever since he trashed their beloved antidepressants. He's being positively lionized now by media flacks. I kind of thought the turning point was in the last Mission Impossible, in which he did his own stunts, one of which was hanging on to the outside of a plane as it was taking off. Maybe the thinking was, 'OK, this guy is a genuine badass, which the public can see, and we're going up against a force of nature.'
Yeah, they wouldn’t have the balls to make a country like China the enemy in their movies anymore. They wouldn’t want to miss out on the billions from the China market. So they just go with Russia as usual.
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Post by IraqVet2003 »

NPCslammer wrote:
May 27th, 2022, 4:36 pm
Top gun got an insane 97% rating on rotten tomatoes by critics and 99% by audiences. The movie must be dope. Did anyone watch it yet? Thoughts

I went to see the new "Top Gun-Maverick" movie this past Memorial Day weekend. NPCslammer, that action/adventure film was just awesome!!!! And without giving away any spoilers, this version of Top Gun is basically picks up where the last one left off (the original Top Gun came out in 1986). Also, the Boeing F-18 E/F Super Hornet (which replaced the Northrop Grumman F-14 Tomcat) is the star of the show. I really hope either Electronic Arts or some other game developer would make a video game based on this movie!!!
NPCslammer
Junior Poster

Post by NPCslammer »

IraqVet2003 wrote:
May 31st, 2022, 1:03 pm
NPCslammer wrote:
May 27th, 2022, 4:36 pm

I went to see the new "Top Gun-Maverick" movie this past Memorial Day weekend. NPCslammer, that action/adventure film was just awesome!!!! And without giving away any spoilers, this version of Top Gun is basically picks up where the last one left off (the original Top Gun came out in 1986). Also, the Boeing F-18 E/F Super Hornet (which replaced the Northrop Grumman F-14 Tomcat) is the star of the show. I really hope either Electronic Arts or some other game developer would make a video game based on this movie!!!
It sounds awesome. I heard that they did a really get a good job of recording jet engine sounds, so it sounds pretty badass in theater. I heard that they also did not use any green screens, and very little CGI. I don’t mind CGI, but sometimes I think they waaaay over do it. Anyway, I’m definitely looking forward to watching this bad boy.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Did they use real jets or CGI jets?

See the trailer here:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1745960/?ref_=vp_vi_tt
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Saw it today. Excellent. According to Cruise, who introduces the movie at the beginning, it's real jets and real G's.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Just saw the movie last week. Very cliched with many tropes, like the first one. The scene where Tom Cruise bails out of his jet before it crashes, and then walks onto a Russian airbase and then steals a Russian jet fighter with no one around to stop him is ridiculous and so believable (sarcastic). lol

Btw what happened to Kelly McGillis? Why wasn't she in this one? It seems they replaced her with Jennifer Connelly. Why? Is McGillis still living? Or she just doesn't look good anymore so they replaced her?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

'Nuff said:

https://radaronline.com/photos/kelly-mc ... er-photos/

She also happens to be a vile, man-hating lesbian recluse now.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Is that really her? Or a spoof site? How could she change that much? I never seen that before.

Kelly McGillis was also hot in the movie "Witness" starring Harrison Ford from 1985.

NPCslammer
Junior Poster

Post by NPCslammer »

Finally got a chance to see this movie, and it was awesome. The movie is a 10 out of 10 imo. I feel sorry for people that will end up watching this on the tv, missing out on the theater experience.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Someone told me it was the best movie he'd seen in 2 years. Then we watched the old Top Gun together. I thought I'd seen bits and pieces of it in elementary school at my aunt's house. She had cable. It turns out I'd seen Firefox.

I thought it was 'meh.' It did well that year. I compared it to other movies that year that I'd seen. Ferris Beuller's Day Off was much more entertaining, IMO. Even Peggy Sue Got Married, though nothing great, was more entertaining, as I recall. Maybe girls wanted to see Tom Cruise. I don't get why this movie made him such a big star. Maybe seeing the jets on the big screen, with the sound, was much better than my TV set so I didn't get the appeal the way I viewed it. I didn't have much invested anymore, emotionally, in our pilots outflying Russian MIGs.

Is the new movie much better than the old one?
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

NPCslammer wrote:
August 5th, 2022, 4:40 am
Finally got a chance to see this movie, and it was awesome. The movie is a 10 out of 10 imo. I feel sorry for people that will end up watching this on the tv, missing out on the theater experience.
Maybe that is what happened to me with the original. Some movies are boring or just so-so out of the movie theater.
NPCslammer
Junior Poster

Post by NPCslammer »

MrMan wrote:
August 5th, 2022, 1:23 pm
NPCslammer wrote:
August 5th, 2022, 4:40 am
Maybe that is what happened to me with the original. Some movies are boring or just so-so out of the movie theater.
Well, this was FAR better than the original. The movie was badass. Sure it had some cheesy moments and a bit of a contrived romance imo. But overall, the flaws in the movie were massively outweighed by the positives (awesomeness) elements of the movie.