Is It Immoral to Stream Movies & TV Shows?

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Is It Immoral to Stream Movies & TV Shows?

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Remember the old adverts about this back in the day?

"You wouldn't steal a car! PIRACY! IS! THEFT!" :lol:

I'll be honest. I've always pirated dvds and videos. Why wouldn't I? I don't give a shit about film companies not making a few extra pounds because I didn't buy an original copy. Since the internet only made this easier for me and rendered dvds and videos obsolete I'm constantly streaming movies and TV shows without giving a second thought to any actors or companies that produce these movies or shows. Truth be told I simply don't give a f**k and would rather save my money than spend it subscribing to things like Netflix or Amazon or Disney or whatever.

I'm guessing most of you, if not all of you also stream movies and TV shows. Even though some of you probably subscribe to things like Netflix. But I'm curious what you think to this on a moral level. Is it immoral to "steal" free movies and TV shows?

I'm interested in the perspective of Christian minded individuals when it comes to this topic. Since Thou Shalt Not Steal is one of the commandments does "stealing" digital information like streaming movies for free break this commandment in your opinion?

@fschmidt
@MrMan
@Cornfed
@Outcast9428

For anyone interested I have some working links and apps I can recommend for the purpose of "stealing" free movies and TV shows :mrgreen:
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Re: Is It Immoral to Stream Movies & TV Shows?

Post by TruthSeeker »

I don't know if it's immoral or not. Does God condone the trash coming out of Hollywood? (or London?)

I know it only becomes illegal if you bootleg it. When you copy and try to sell your bootlegged material.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Re: Is It Immoral to Stream Movies & TV Shows?

Post by Pixel--Dude »

TruthSeeker wrote:
February 7th, 2023, 5:31 am
I don't know if it's immoral or not. Does God condone the trash coming out of Hollywood? (or London?)

I know it only becomes illegal if you bootleg it. When you copy and try to sell your bootlegged material.
Hmmm. I'm not Christian so I don't presume to know what the Christian God would or would not condone as moral behaviour. Is God against creativity? It would be a guess to determine whether God disapproves of Hollywood fictional movies that aren't particularly blasphemous or promoting degenerate behaviour. But stealing is there in the Bible in black and white. So we know that if the Bible is God's word then stealing in any context is unacceptable, right?

Personally, I don't even see anything wrong or immoral with stealing. I mean, I would never steal from family or a friend or coworker. I agree that kind of stealing is immoral. But to steal from a corporation or some actor and a company that has already made millions on a movie isn't immoral in my eyes. It's funny how morality almost always coincides with the principles of corporations within this system :lol:

So when it comes to stealing in the Bible. The commandment Thou Shalt Not Steal, does that mean in any context? Are there any grey areas where theft is permissible? There are nuances in everything. Would God punish a man who stole from a supermarket to feed his family? Society would. Even though the man is a living breathing human being and the supermarket is a fictitious entity. Know what I mean? It's something I was wondering. And I thought about streaming movies and how that is technically illegal and a form of stealing.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.