The importance of a leisured class

If you're a history buff, love to talk about history and watch the History Channel, this is the board for that.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

The importance of a leisured class

Post by Cornfed »

This is an interesting concept. The idea is that it is of value to pay highly intelligent and educated men large sums of money to do essentially nothing in the hopes that some of them will spend their leisure time and money doing great things for society. This worked big time for making England a world power. We have this situation of sinecures now via diversity quotas and so on, but only for the scum of the earth. What a world we could live in if this situation were reversed and non-scum once again enjoyed these benefits.

yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The importance of a leisured class

Post by yick »

You could have stayed in Korea, worked under 20 hours a week, saved most of your paycheck, afforded to do things, met and married a Korean hottie and made plans - you had the nearest to it in the western world but you gave it away. If you're talking about the uber rich - they're still out there but they're keeping it quiet but for a working class man - you had that freedom and money in your hands and you gave it up. Hopefully, you will find it again in Mexico.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

yick wrote:
June 13th, 2021, 4:30 am
You could have stayed in Korea, worked under 20 hours a week, saved most of your paycheck, afforded to do things, met and married a Korean hottie and made plans - you had the nearest to it in the western world but you gave it away. If you're talking about the uber rich - they're still out there but they're keeping it quiet but for a working class man - you had that freedom and money in your hands and you gave it up. Hopefully, you will find it again in Mexico.
Eh, I don't know of any hagwon workers who worked less than 20 hours a week. Public school teachers may have taught less than 20 hours a week, but we had to plan lessons and be physically present for 40. Also there was a glut of teachers on the market after the 08 financial crisis, so quite likely a given individual would not be able to find a job, and even if you could your income would be hanging by a thread, so the situation wasn't conducive to getting married and raising a family.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Cornfed wrote:
June 13th, 2021, 6:16 pm
yick wrote:
June 13th, 2021, 4:30 am
Eh, I don't know of any hagwon workers who worked less than 20 hours a week. Public school teachers may have taught less than 20 hours a week, but we had to plan lessons and be physically present for 40. Also there was a glut of teachers on the market after the 08 financial crisis, so quite likely a given individual would not be able to find a job, and even if you could your income would be hanging by a thread, so the situation wasn't conducive to getting married and raising a family.
Yes, hagwons get their pound of flesh but even if that is where you started, you could have ended up at a university teaching under 16 hours a week - actually - they're advertising one such position on linkedin at the moment.

I don't even teach 16 hours a week and now have two and a half months off fully paid! This is the nearest opportunity in the western world (or better still... what is available to educated westerners) to the life you allude to - I have four and a half months solid off - and paid for! I save most of my money and have a nice life - you could have that too if that's what you want.

True about 2008 and the financial crisis squeezing us all out in South Korea - a weather anchor from a local TV station in The States and a fully qualified lawyer were competing for my two bob PS job - but try China, try Thailand, try Indonesia...