Did Having a Female Queen Lead to Feminism?

If you're a history buff, love to talk about history and watch the History Channel, this is the board for that.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Did Having a Female Queen Lead to Feminism?

Post by MrMan »

The Reformer John Knox wrote a book against the 'monstrosity' of having a woman as rule. This was the age of Mary, Queen of Scotts and Queen Elizabeth I. Though England had a female queen, it did not go full-scale feminist at that time.

Some centuries later, a queen was on the throne in England at the peak of it's power, Queen Victoria. I don't know any historical details showing a smoking gun connection between her being on the throne and women committing acts of terrorism to get the legal right to vote, but I suspect a woman being on the throne might have been an important part of the cultural backdrop.

Several years back, the UK changed the law making the first born child of the heir to the throne the next heir in the line of succession. Previously it went to the first male heir.

Do you think Queen Victoria, a woman, being queen, had anything to do with the rise of the suffragettes and later forms of feminism. I strongly suspect the move toward giving women the right to vote in the UK led to the same in the US.

I am more concerned with the practical level of things. It seems reasonable to me that if a woman is married and opens a bank account, that her husband approve of it. Several decades back, banks required that. The state recognizing the authority of husband over the wife is a reasonable thing.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Re: Did Having a Female Queen Lead to Feminism?

Post by flowerthief00 »

What led to feminism is birth control. That's what freed women from the traditional long-held job of being baby factories. Everything else followed naturally from there.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

flowerthief00 wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 7:48 pm
What led to feminism is birth control. That's what freed women from the traditional long-held job of being baby factories. Everything else followed naturally from there.
Various aspects of feminism were put in long before reliable birth control. The communisation of looking after females does not follow from birth control.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

Huh? What is "communisation of looking after females"?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

flowerthief00 wrote:
December 4th, 2021, 4:27 pm
Huh? What is "communisation of looking after females"?
Instead of individual men and families being tasked with caring for females, the regime plunders men generally and uses the proceeds to look after females. Hence the care and feeding of females is communised.
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

That does go back farther but it's not a slippery slope down to feminism. It was the old traditional order of gender roles for men to protect and provide. For all of human history, regimes have also been sending men to their deaths in wars yet feminism managed not to happen until modern times.