Saudi Arabia, Yemen War Starting

Discuss news and current events around the world.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

There's nothing better than another middle east to help boost falling oil prices.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-03-2 ... bing-yemen
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Re: Saudi Arabia, Yemen War Starting

Post by IraqVet2003 »

I believe this conflict between the Saudi regime and the rebels in Yemen reflects a much larger struggle between Sunni (Wahabbism) and Shiite Islam. Also, I think it is a contest between Saudi Arabia and Iran for influence within that region. Not to mention the royal Saudi family as well as those in the Persian Gulf region (Qatar, the U.A.E., Kuwait) don't want the possibility of Shia revolution spreading to their countries and being toppled from power. There is a chance that the Saudis may crush the Shia uprising (just as they did in Bahrain a few years ago). After all the Saudi Arabia has purchased billions of petrodollars worth of high-tech weaponry from (mostly the U.S. and U.K.) such as the F-15S Strike Eagles, AH-64 Apache attack helicopters, Eurofighter Typhoons, Tornados, M-1A2 Abrams tanks, etc. In addition, the Saudis are also now trying to get Leopard 2 tanks from Germany.
However, I hope the U.S. does not get dragged into this religious quagmire!!! Both the Shias and Sunnis have been at each other throats for hundreds of years!!! I think that the long (and illegal) occupations and conflicts of Afghanistan and Iraq were enough!!! We should now take the advise of George Washington of avoiding "FOREIGN ENTANGLEMENTS" and John Quincy Adams saying of "NOT SEEKING MONSTERS ABROAD".
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

All I know is this all goes back to WW 1.
Time to Hide!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

IraqVet2003 wrote:I believe this conflict between the Saudi regime and the rebels in Yemen reflects a much larger struggle between Sunni (Wahabbism) and Shiite Islam. Also, I think it is a contest between Saudi Arabia and Iran for influence within that region. Not to mention the royal Saudi family as well as those in the Persian Gulf region (Qatar, the U.A.E., Kuwait) don't want the possibility of Shia revolution spreading to their countries and being toppled from power. There is a chance that the Saudis may crush the Shia uprising (just as they did in Bahrain a few years ago). After all the Saudi Arabia has purchased billions of petrodollars worth of high-tech weaponry from (mostly the U.S. and U.K.) such as the F-15S Strike Eagles, AH-64 Apache attack helicopters, Eurofighter Typhoons, Tornados, M-1A2 Abrams tanks, etc. In addition, the Saudis are also now trying to get Leopard 2 tanks from Germany.
However, I hope the U.S. does not get dragged into this religious quagmire!!! Both the Shias and Sunnis have been at each other throats for hundreds of years!!! I think that the long (and illegal) occupations and conflicts of Afghanistan and Iraq were enough!!! We should now take the advise of George Washington of avoiding "FOREIGN ENTANGLEMENTS" and John Quincy Adams saying of "NOT SEEKING MONSTERS ABROAD".
Thanks for the EXCELLENT analysis. Great overview.

Embarrassed to say that I had already forgotten about the Saudi invasion of Bahrain.

From the scraps of info that reach me over the years, IMO it's amazing that North Yemen (Yemen Proper) is not allowed or encouraged to split off from the Westernized, socialized Aden regime. They have two different histories. Who would think they could be joined in one country?
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."