Upcoming Food Shortages-- Gardening, Preparing

Discuss news and current events around the world.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Upcoming Food Shortages-- Gardening, Preparing

Post by MrMan »

I have a friend who likes to study details of current events. He keeps up with minutia of the news. He was telling me how Shlumberger and one of the US oil service providers pulled out of Siberia and eastern Russia, leaving Russia without vendors to run their operations. Apparently, Russia was dependent on US and French companies to keep churning out the oil. He said that China is supplied from Siberia. Other news I've read says Russian oil production has dropped.

What does this have to do with food? Some types of fertilizer are made using petroleum. As oil goes up, fertilizer gets more expensive. China manufactures fertilizer, and if its supply of oil drops, that can cause problems.

There are global markets for oil, grains, etc. If the price goes up in one part of the world, it generally goes up in the rest of the world. If corn production drops too low, then it's price goes up, but so do the prices of wheat and rice, other grains which can be substitute products for corn for some products but also for caloric intake.

Whatever is behind the inflation, food prices have already gone up. It could be between 10 and 20% so far this year on certain types of food.

It's good to grow your own food. It's a healthy hobby since you know what you are eating, and it gets you outside for a little exercise.

I've got a rather large freezer, a smaller one, freezers on my two refrigerators, a couple of pantries and some shelves of canned and other goods, dried rice, dried beans-- mainly soy, and various other foods. I had some field corn but had a weavel infestation in the pantry over it. My wife and I are also working on a garden. We've got some fruit trees we are planting. But we will likely have a variety of greens and types of squash. I hope we can just get most of our green vegetables from our garden going forward.

We used a hydroponic plant nursery one year. I kept stir frying greens out of that. That one ran on electricity. It is possible to have buckets connected with pipe and plungers and just keep putting water and plant food in one bucket to keep the whole system going. The PVC pipe nursery with the pump we had worked better. I suppose you could have it in an apartment living room if you wanted, but a balcony would be a much better place.

My wife stashed a bunch of meat in our freezer right before the sell-outs of COVID-19 in 2020, and we still have some meat left from that in the freezer we need to work through before freezer burn becomes an issue. But we may get more of a meat stash.

You can also buy eggs and put them in lime and water. They can keep for a year or two that way. Apparently, it still works even without the bloom still on them.

Do any of you have a food stash?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Upcoming Food Shortages-- Gardening, Preparing

Post by Taco »

MrMan wrote:
April 16th, 2022, 10:08 pm

Rice is the best value. You get 80,000 calories for $20 and you can store it for 20 years if you use oxygen absorbers and mylar bags.

The next financial crisis will start this year. Only a few banks will survive. You will need food and supplies for at least 3 months.
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Taco wrote:
April 18th, 2022, 2:13 am
MrMan wrote:
April 16th, 2022, 10:08 pm

Rice is the best value. You get 80,000 calories for $20 and you can store it for 20 years if you use oxygen absorbers and mylar bags.

The next financial crisis will start this year. Only a few banks will survive. You will need food and supplies for at least 3 months.
What are oxygen absorbers?

You have to keep bugs out of anything like that. I've thought about buying field corn also, for some variety, pasteurizing it in the oven, then storing it, but I am not sure if it will keep after heating it up. These are good for calories. How long do dried beans last? We have some soybeans that my wife can make tempeh out of, but weather conditions have to be right.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

The global famine will start this year...

3 Factors Which Are About To Make The Coming Food Shortages Even Worse
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/3-fa ... ven-worse/

The Earth Only Has A 3 Month Supply Of Food
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/the- ... n-90-days/

Oxygen absorbers remove oxygen from the container so the food will last a long time.

Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs