What is Zen philosophy?

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
chileanueva
Freshman Poster

What is Zen philosophy?

Post by chileanueva »

From what I understand, it is experiencing reality as is rather than through our own subjective lenses.

The reality of our existence is just is, and it shouldn't be cluttered by our own perceptions and opinions.

Zen is what it is, and you are who you are.

Is my assessment correct or inaccurate?

I welcome your thoughts.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Konrad, sounds ok. I think key for zen is meditation. I tried meditation some times but I quit. Maybe I should try it again. Did you ever try meditation?

Check this for practical use for zen and minimalistic lifestyle

http://zenhabits.net/archives/
http://mnmlist.com/
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

I am not an expert, but since Bodhidharma, the founder of Chan ("Zen" in Japanese), gave a copy of the Lankavatara Sutra to his main disciple, Huike, it would probably make sense to read the Lankavatara Sutra if you want to understand Zen Buddhism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lankavatara_Sutra

Zen Buddhism is a religion and isn't merely a style of visual design.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: What is Zen philosophy?

Post by momopi »

chileanueva wrote:From what I understand, it is experiencing reality as is rather than through our own subjective lenses.
The reality of our existence is just is, and it shouldn't be cluttered by our own perceptions and opinions.
Zen is what it is, and you are who you are.
Is my assessment correct or inaccurate?
I welcome your thoughts.
Look for a Zen center near you and pay them a visit. They can provide qualified teachers to instruct you in Zen meditation (corrected) and such.

There are also Zen Archery clubs that may interest you.

Last edited by momopi on February 6th, 2012, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Momopi, zen medication ? ;-)

Zen is about how to kill your survival instinct. So you can be more relaxed. But the paradox is you have to switch it on to actually survive.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

How is Zen different from Buddhism?

Jackal, when you meditate, are you supposed to think of nothing but be aware of your breath? How can you do that? Your mind will always think of something, whether it be fantasizing or worrying about problems. Is that ok?

Also, are you supposed to meditate by sitting up on the floor? What about on a chair? What about with your back against the wall for support? What about lying down?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Jackal wrote:I am not an expert, but since Bodhidharma, the founder of Chan ("Zen" in Japanese), gave a copy of the Lankavatara Sutra to his main disciple, Huike, it would probably make sense to read the Lankavatara Sutra if you want to understand Zen Buddhism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lankavatara_Sutra

Zen Buddhism is a religion and isn't merely a style of visual design.
I liked you better with the horns.
Time to Hide!
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Winston wrote:How is Zen different from Buddhism?
It's not. People only think this because of stupid books and articles written by people who didn't know much about Zen. Zen is a sect of Buddhism, specifically, a sect of Mahayana Buddhism. So any authentic Zen teacher will believe standard Mahayana Buddhist stuff.

Any authentic Zen group recites the Four Vows regularly:
"1. Sentient beings are numberless. We vow to save them all.
2. Delusions are endless. We vow to cut through them all.
3. The teachings are infinite. We vow to learn them all.
4. The Buddha Way is inconceivable. We vow to attain it."

So the Mahayana Buddhist bodhisattva ideal is at the heart of Zen, even if they use their own strange language sometimes.
Winston wrote:Jackal, when you meditate, are you supposed to think of nothing but be aware of your breath? How can you do that? Your mind will always think of something, whether it be fantasizing or worrying about problems. Is that ok?
Buddhist meditation is not an attempt to stop thinking. You just ignore your thoughts and perceptions as you continue to focus on the object of your meditation. You hear a car go by? No problem: you just let it go and continue meditating. When the next thing grabs your attention, you let go of that, too.
Winston wrote:Also, are you supposed to meditate by sitting up on the floor? What about on a chair? What about with your back against the wall for support? What about lying down?
Yes, you are supposed to meditate in the crossed-leg position or in the Japanese kneeling position because these positions are helpful for having a calm, but alert mind. Meditation can be done lying down if one is extremely ill, but it is not recommended because it is too easy to become sleepy while lying down. You can sit on a chair and meditate if you keep your spine straight. Leaning your back against a wall could be okay if your spine is straight, but as with lying down, there is the danger of becoming too relaxed and sleepy. Buddhist meditation is not about drifting off into a dull, relaxed, ignorant state. It's about being relaxed, yet alert and aware of one's own mind.

But ultimately, meditation can extend into ordinary life as one gets more experienced, and, especially in Zen, simple daily acts can also be seen as meditation when they are done with single-minded focus.
Moretorque wrote: I liked you better with the horns.
I'm glad that you enjoyed them. lol
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Jackal wrote:
Winston wrote:Jackal, when you meditate, are you supposed to think of nothing but be aware of your breath? How can you do that? Your mind will always think of something, whether it be fantasizing or worrying about problems. Is that ok?
Buddhist meditation is not an attempt to stop thinking. You just ignore your thoughts and perceptions as you continue to focus on the object of your meditation. You hear a car go by? No problem: you just let it go and continue meditating. When the next thing grabs your attention, you let go of that, too.
Yeah I've heard that before. But the problem with that is that if your mind wanders, you will not realize it for a while. You will wander with it and not realize that you were supposed to be meditating. So it may be a long while before you remember that you were supposed to be meditating. See what I mean?

What if you daydream a lot? Does your mind wander too? What if you forget to bring it back?

Also, doesn't it kind of suck that Buddhism invalidates your desires? Without passion, what is there to live for?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne