Why does human life require progress and advancement?

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
Boner_Jones
Freshman Poster

Why does human life require progress and advancement?

Post by Boner_Jones »

What made humans dissatisfied with staying put? Why weren't we like the rest of the animal kingdom who have predictable, unchanging lives?
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

Post by All_That_Is_Man »

Evolved minds and a need for security/comfort.

In the land before time, you could fall asleep in an open cave, but then wake up to a wildcat gnawing your face off. Today we have beds in houses with locks and communities of neighbors (and zoos to contain the carnivores, for that matter).

Though there are some negative things about straying away from nature, I would say that doing so, in some cases, has made survival and replication exceptionally more probable.
"Manginas grovel. Men travel." - me (04/17/2012)

"I used to be one of those men who believed that men are better than women at everything. Then I stood corrected!
Women are better than men at... getting fat." - me (02/24/2013)

Black women suck at life.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why does human life require progress and advancement?

Post by Jester »

Boner_Jones wrote:What made humans dissatisfied with staying put? Why weren't we like the rest of the animal kingdom who have predictable, unchanging lives?
Because we're not part of the animal kingdom. Though made from clay, there is something peculiarly divine about us. We are a reflection of God Himself - creations, but also creators:

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him..."
-- Genesis 1:27

And we are made to rule, to husband, to build, not just exist, eat, fart, and rut like animals:

"The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it."
-- Genesis 2:15
Boner_Jones
Freshman Poster

Re: Why does human life require progress and advancement?

Post by Boner_Jones »

So then... we were meant to develop and advance? Our unavoidable fate and destiny?

If so then... what will humans and society look like?

100,000... 500,000... 1,000,000 years from now?

Isn't human civilization only like... 15,000 years old so far?

That's like a drop in the bucket... compared to how old the earth is, something like 4 billions years old...
Boner_Jones
Freshman Poster

Post by Boner_Jones »

All_That_Is_Man wrote:Evolved minds and a need for security/comfort.
ok but then... how come the other animals didn't evolve like humans? They have a need for security and comfort too.
patrick
Freshman Poster

Post by patrick »

maybe monkey's could've been the next to evolve but they're to late now, humans are dominating the planet giving them no chance to develop