What is the difference between good and evil?

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Re: What is the difference between good and evil?

Post by TruthSeeker »

Neo wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 10:15 am
The other problem with bearing ill will towards other people, or hating them, is that [1 John 3:15] seems to say that those who hate others are murderers,
@Neo You misquoted the Scripture. It doesn't say hate others it reads:

1 John 3:15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

If you are a true Christian, you are not going to hate your brother. You are going to hate the world. (1 John 2:15)

David said, "I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies." (Psalm 139:22)

Did you know that God hates? (Psalm 5:5, Rev. 2:6)

So hatred is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it's a good thing if it's placed correctly.

Psalm 45:7 Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Neo wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 1:13 am
Cornfed wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 1:01 am
Neo wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 12:48 am
Love your neighbor as yourself means do no harm to another person.
I recall someone else asks Jesus "Who is my neighbor?". The answer was not "everyone".
A parable is sometimes a mystery. Your neighbor is any other person.
I'm not sure why you edited your post, but the forum sent me a notification so I decided to reply. In the parable of the Good Samaritan, Jesus clearly indicated that your neighbour was a functional member of your community and NOT any other person. Quit contradicting Jesus.
Last edited by Cornfed on June 3rd, 2020, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Cornfed wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 9:30 pm
Neo wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
Neo wrote:
I recall someone else asks Jesus "Who is my neighbor?". The answer was not "everyone".
I'm not sure why you edited your post, but the forum sent me a notification so I decided to reply. In the parable of the good Samaritan, Jesus clearly indicated that your neighbour was a functional member of your community and NOT any other person. Quit contradicting Jesus.
If anyone ever wondered if the Christian faith serves as refuge for evil behind the veneer of good, @Cornfed's Christian piety should remove all doubt.

@MrMan
@Neo
@HyperMak

#ThingsIHaveLongKnown
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 9:51 pm
@MrMan
@Neo
@HyperMak

#ThingsIHaveLongKnown
I am not really a Christian/Catholic but I have enough common sense, like every human being should have, to tell good from evil. A**holes from genuine people, as well, but that's another story... ;-)
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

If anyone ever wondered if the Christian faith serves as refuge for evil behind the veneer of good, @Cornfed's Christian piety should remove all doubt.

@MrMan
@Neo
@HyperMak

#ThingsIHaveLongKnown
Eh, I'm not necessarily a Christian in the sense of believing the Nicene Creed to be literally true, but I do recognise the reality of it being the religion of my people and therefore don't like to see it being misrepresented.
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

Cornfed wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 9:30 pm
Neo wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
Neo wrote:
I'm not sure why you edited your post, but the forum sent me a notification so I decided to reply. In the parable of the good Samaritan, Jesus clearly indicated that your neighbour was a functional member of your community and NOT any other person. Quit contradicting Jesus.
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Cornfed wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 9:56 pm

@MrMan
@Neo
@HyperMak

#ThingsIHaveLongKnown
Eh, I'm not necessarily a Christian in the sense of believing the Nicene Creed to be literally true, but I do recognise the reality of it being the religion of my people and therefore don't like to see it being misrepresented.
That goes a long way towards explaining why your "whirled view" is just that!
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

hypermak wrote:
@MrMan
@Neo
@HyperMak

#ThingsIHaveLongKnown
I am not really a Christian/Catholic but I have enough common sense, like every human being should have, to tell good from evil. A**holes from genuine people, as well, but that's another story... ;-)
Well at least you have an understanding of what kind of person you are. That's one positive I can cite in your favor.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

June 3rd, 2020, 11:55 pm
hypermak wrote:
@MrMan
@Neo
@HyperMak

#ThingsIHaveLongKnown
Well at least you have an understanding of what kind of person you are. That's one positive I can cite in your favor.
And you.