'I absolutely hate living in Italy'

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
galii
Experienced Poster

'I absolutely hate living in Italy'

Post by galii »

I have a friend in the Phillipines who hates German people and German culture. He only talks with me in English. I find it quite interesting. I did have some hate for Turkish and German culture but not so much. Specially because I do self improvement that becomes a non issue after a while but I can see how some people get obsessed with that.

Anyway I checked reddit about that topic. I found a thread that I thought it is intesting. I did not finish the thread. Let's see what they have to say.

--------------
https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularopini ... _in_italy/
/i_absolutely_hate_living_in_italy
I absolutely hate living in Italy
I transferred to American university in Rome and have to finish my degree here as I have too many credits to transfer anywhere else without having to take an extra one to two years worth of classes. I live in Rome, it’s dirty the people are rude, and they are very controlling. I have been yelled at by post office workers immigration officers and police officers for asking simple questions to the point making me cry. The society is outdated, the buildings are old and worn down. There are areas that you shouldn’t walk in even close to town. And so much of everything is commercialized. At this point I just go to school and go home. I cannot wait to f***ing leave this country. I have traveled around Europe quite a bit in our countries that I very much enjoy and find modernized. But the day I leave Italy will be a relief. Nine more months to go. I’m from America, but don’t really want to move back there but I will if I can’t move to Ireland.

I have met many nice Italians, but in all of my travels and all the months that I have lived in different countries, not once have I been treated as I have here
--------------

I feel like there is so much missing about this. At face value it feels not so intelligent but maybe it is different.

There is an interesting reply to it:
When I was younger, I lived in Alaska for 3 years between 18-21 years old, and while I found it beautiful, I was so self-absorbed in my infallible young adulthood that I totally squandered the time I was there. While it's not a place I'd like to live, I screwed myself by not taking advantage of my time there and instead chose to complain and whine about how it wasn't like this or that. Don't do that. You've got nine months left. Take a chance now because you won't have another opportunity later. Fast food and Starbucks and 24-hour Wal-Mart will always be there. This won't.
That is a mature approach to the issue. That is why we forget the good stuff. We concentrate too much on the perceived bad stuff.

One guy wrote:
Italian here. It's true. Every time I have to go to a public office I psychologically prepare myself as if I were going to war.
So sometimes getting things done can feel like a war even if you are a native. So I can not always blame people from other countries criticizing the country. So if it feels like war for natives it must feel worse for outsiders.

That's exactly what I'm saying. There's an actual reason the proverb, "When in Rome..." exists.

Rome is not a Woody Allen movie, nor even a Fellini movie. To permanently move there and not know this, means that a person did zero research before making such a huge decision. It is entirely their prerogative and their right to do so, but it is also entirely their fault when their life doesn't turn out to be Emily in Paris.
Yes I agree with that. Research is key. Specially to a place like Rom. For Rom I have to be in a total adventure mode to get through it. I do not have the nerves now to do it. I am more on a philosophical mode.