Wise and Witty Quotes

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Truth is good for business

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote: "Authority is not truth. Truth is the authority."
- Mark Passio
It works in sales, btw. Sell what you know to be right.

They can tell.

davewe wrote: "Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else's." Billy Wilder
Great advice for an entrepreneur. Thanks.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Good one. Explains a lot.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Here are some of my own quotes:

Youth is wasted on the poor.

Desperation is the mother of invention.

What's good for the goose is not necessarily good for the chicken.

God,
Grant me the sneakiness
To get around the things I cannot change
Make me care enough to change the things I can;
And give me enough money to do both.

True love is a pain in the a##.

True love costs more
Than a Bangkok whore

Those who say that money cannot buy love simply do not have enough money.

Money cannot buy you love, but lack of it will often prevent you from being in the right situation to obtain it.

The degree to which women in any given country prefer foreigners to their own men is in direct proportion to the difference in the monthly salaries between their own men's and the foreigners' monthly salaries.

The friendliness of the host nation depends on which way the money flows-as long as it flows from you to them, everyone is happy. Problems start when you want it to start flowing the other way.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

Give me liberty or give me death - Patrick Henry.

A man's face is his autobiography, a woman's face is her work of fiction - Oscar Wilde
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

Post by All_That_Is_Man »

[In the waiting room of a Financial Aid building at a college.]

*A woman walks by*

Stranger: "I don't like the way she walks... It's very manly."

Me: "...Is this your first day in America?"
"Manginas grovel. Men travel." - me (04/17/2012)

"I used to be one of those men who believed that men are better than women at everything. Then I stood corrected!
Women are better than men at... getting fat." - me (02/24/2013)

Black women suck at life.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out these great 100 anti-war quotes. Please spread them around.

http://www.humblelibertarian.com/2010/0 ... uotes.html

Here are my favorite ones by America's Founding Fathers:

2. "The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home." -James Madison

3. "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

4. "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare. " -James Madison

5. "Of all the enemies of public liberty, war is perhaps the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other." -James Madison

6. "The executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question, whether there is or is not cause for declaring war." -James Madison

7. "It is a universal truth that the loss of liberty at home is to be charged to the provisions against danger, real or pretended, from abroad." -James Madison

10. "The spirit of this country is totally adverse to a large military force." -Thomas Jefferson

11. "Governments constantly choose between telling lies and fighting wars, with the end result always being the same. One will always lead to the other." -Thomas Jefferson

12. "I abhor war and view it as the greatest scourge of mankind." -Thomas Jefferson

14. "If there is one principle more deeply rooted in the mind of every American, it is that we should have nothing to do with conquest." -Thomas Jefferson

15. "Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government." -Thomas Jefferson

16. "War is an instrument entirely inefficient toward redressing wrong; and multiplies, instead of indemnifying losses." -Thomas Jefferson

17. "A coward is much more exposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." -Thomas Jefferson

19. "War...is as much a punishment to the punisher as to the sufferer." -Thomas Jefferson

20. "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." -Thomas Jefferson

21. "Over grown military establishments are under any form of government inauspicious to liberty, and are to be regarded as particularly hostile to republican liberty." -George Washington

29. "A highwayman is as much a robber when he plunders in a gang as when single; and a nation that makes an unjust war is only a great gang." -Benjamin Franklin

34. "Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

35. "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war." -John Adams

Great anti-war quotes by Ronald Reagan:

37. "A people free to choose will always choose peace." -Ronald Reagan

40. "Peace is not absence of conflict, it is the ability to handle conflict by peaceful means." -Ronald Reagan

41. "...no mother would ever willingly sacrifice her sons for territorial gain, for economic advantage, for ideology." -Ronald Reagan

42. "People do not make wars; governments do." -Ronald Reagan

Anti-war quotes by Dwight D. Eisenhower, one of the most experienced US military generals and former US President.

44. "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

47. "We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

48. "Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly, I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked about such a thing." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

51. "There is no glory in battle worth the blood it costs." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

52. "We must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex." -Dwight D. Eisenhower

More great anti-war quotes:

58. "Do not ever say that the desire to 'do good' by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives." -Ayn Rand

60. "All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it." -Alexis de Tocqueville

63. "War against a foreign country only happens when the moneyed classes think they are going to profit from it." -George Orwell

68. "All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." -George Orwell

70. "What is absurd and monstrous about war is that men who have no personal quarrel should be trained to murder one another in cold blood." -Aldous Huxley

73. "In all history there is no war which was not hatched by the governments, the governments alone, independent of the interests of the people, to whom war is always pernicious even when successful." -Leo Tolstoy
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
noog
Freshman Poster

Post by noog »

Here are some various things that older friends have shared with me at various points in my life that have stuck in my head:

"You can't f**k a personality"

"Try not to have regrets. You don't want to live with regrets."

"Life if too short to spend the rest of it alone"
"Take a bold and unconventional action, then you'll find out who your friends are."

"Trying to find good American women is like trying to ice skate in a volcano."
noog
Freshman Poster

Post by noog »

One of my all-time favorites:

"True joy comes from being fully present in each and every moment, not just when things are going your way." - Phil Jackson
"Take a bold and unconventional action, then you'll find out who your friends are."

"Trying to find good American women is like trying to ice skate in a volcano."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

All_That_Is_Man wrote:[In the waiting room of a Financial Aid building at a college.]

*A woman walks by*

Stranger: "I don't like the way she walks... It's very manly."

Me: "...Is this your first day in America?"
:lol:
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wise quotes by Dr. Wayne Dyer for anyone feeling angry or argumentative toward others.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/ ... yne_W_Dyer

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."
― Wayne W. Dyer

"When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
― Wayne W. Dyer

"When the choice is to be right or to be kind, always make the choice that brings peace"
― Wayne W. Dyer

"Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what the reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you can control is your character."
― Wayne W. Dyer

"Conflict cannot survive without your participation"
― Wayne W. Dyer

"you don't need to be better than any one else you just need to be better than you used to be"
― Wayne W. Dyer

"You cannot always control what goes on outside. But you can always control what goes on inside."
― Wayne W. Dyer

"With everything that has happened to you, you can either feel sorry for yourself or treat what has happened as a gift. Everything is either an opportunity to grow or an obstacle to keep you from growing. You get to choose."
― Wayne W. Dyer

"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with
another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change
you. The only thing blame does is to keep the focus off you when you
are looking for external reasons to explain your unhappiness or
frustration. You may succeed in making another feel guilty about
something by blaming him, but you won't succeed in changing whatever it
is about you that is making you unhappy. "
― Wayne W. Dyer

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

This quote by Martin Luther King Jr. validates many of our observations about friendlier people in poor countries vs. unfriendly people in richer countries.

"The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually."
- Martin Luther King Jr.

Taken from:
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/ ... cture.html

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out this quote I heard by legendary Swiss psychologist Carl Jung. It validates our way of bringing to light the negative dark truths in our society here on HappierAbroad as the path to enlightenment, rather than follow the popular fake New Age hippie way of ignoring everything negative to make it not exist.

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious. The latter procedure, however, is disagreeable and therefore not popular."
- Carl Gustav Jung in his essay "The Philosophical Tree", paragraph 335 (1945)

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

That's the problem Winston, people cannot seem to get on the same page. Communist love that!
Time to Hide!