Is Evil more powerful than Good? (disturbing realizations)

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
Winston
Site Admin

Is Evil more powerful than Good? (disturbing realizations)

Post by Winston »

I just had a disturbing realization.

Our movies, fairy tales, fictional stories, and religions teach that good is stronger than evil and always triumphs in the end.

But if you study history, evil seems to usually win. The oppressors with more power does whatever they want and gets away with any crime. History is filled with many examples.

Good people die young. Evil people live long lives.

Leaders that try to go actual long term good in the world (e.g. JFK, RFK, MLK, etc.) get assassinated, while evil leaders (George Bush, Stalin, Fidel Castro, Mao, the Rockefellers, etc.) live long healthy lives.

And there is unjust human suffering all over the world, both physical and emotional, on the innocent.

If there is a God or "intelligence" that runs the universe and created it, how can he let that happen if he's good? He either must be a sociopath, evil or have no power at all, right? Isn't that inescapable? How can you escape that logical conclusion?

Isn't that disturbing?

Could it be that all our beliefs about good being stronger than evil are just myths created to allow us to tolerate an insane evil world, and that the truth is the opposite of this myth?

Terrible but logical, huh?
Last edited by Winston on October 12th, 2010, 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

I'm sure you've heard the saying, "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." I suspect evil people are more naturally inclined to seek positions of power, and this more evil people end up in politics and as rulers. Good people are likely attracted to other things. How many evil artists have you heard of?

As for god, why does he have to be either? Aren't good and evil our words and our definitions? I suspect not everyone will agree that every ruler in your list is certainly evil.

DO evil people look at children happily playing in the park and ask, HOw could god allow that?"
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

This is a valid question I wrestle with and simplistic answers are suspect. I believe it was Plato who brought up the idea of the world being ruled by an evil god. Some believe the god of the Old Testament is actually an evil god of this world and not the true god. The Gnostics believed the cosmos was created by an imperfect god, the demiurge. From my own observations, it seems that power and aggression are rewarded and no good deed goes unpunished. Religion preaches good, but when you look under the hood, it is mostly a few strong men getting power by indoctrination and the rest submitting to the hive. And, I don’t believe it is a matter of a few evil men, because the “few� couldn’t do anything without the complicity of everyone else who give them the power with their obedience. So, everyone has to be evil – the active and the passive. It seems that the animal impulse to “dominance/submission� and the tendency to form hierarchies is relevant to the issue. But then, given the above, it is amazing that we have progressed to even our present state of organization, so there seems to be some impulse of goodness needed to sustain life.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Terrence wrote:I'm sure you've heard the saying, "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." I suspect evil people are more naturally inclined to seek positions of power, and this more evil people end up in politics and as rulers. Good people are likely attracted to other things. How many evil artists have you heard of?

As for god, why does he have to be either? Aren't good and evil our words and our definitions? I suspect not everyone will agree that every ruler in your list is certainly evil.

DO evil people look at children happily playing in the park and ask, HOw could god allow that?"
But what can good men do about the Iraq War, Federal Reserve Scam, banker bailout fraud, health care, etc.?

NOTHING! It out of our hands. So it's easy for you to say that.

Good men could not stop the Native American Holocaust either.

Yes evil people are more inclined to seek power.

Sure good and evil can be relative. But they can be obvious too. Surely you can see the difference between a mass murderer, and someone who is for peace? They can't both be good.

Also, don't forget that evil people do not usually consider themselves evil. Hitler for example, thought he was carrying out God's destiny and also propelling Darwinism forward (Yeah it seems he believed in God and Darwinism) and bringing the Aryan race to glory. So he justifies it to himself in some way.

I wonder how serial killers justify their behaviors to themselves, or those who start wars that aren't necessary.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

Evil isn't necessarily stronger, it's just easier for the short-sighted to choose and can give more short term gains.

Don't worry about organizing to combat the federal reserve, rothschilds, NWO, etc. Any form of "organization" beyond the limit of 150 people requires increasing levels of hierarchy and conformity to have any sort of chance at winning in a physical battle, and thus contains the seed of evil. The "good" guys beat the axis powers in WWII, and have now become the new center of tyranny and degeneracy in the world.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Is Evil more powerful than Good? (disturbing but logical

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:Leaders that try to go actual long term good in the world (e.g. JFK, RFK, MLK, etc.) get assassinated, while evil leaders (George Bush, Stalin, Fidel Castro, Mao, the Rockefellers, etc.) live long healthy lives.
Reflections of Fidel:
http://www.granma.cu/ingles/reflections ... ons-i.html
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

Enishi wrote:Evil isn't necessarily stronger, it's just easier for the short-sighted to choose and can give more short term gains.

Don't worry about organizing to combat the federal reserve, rothschilds, NWO, etc. Any form of "organization" beyond the limit of 150 people requires increasing levels of hierarchy and conformity to have any sort of chance at winning in a physical battle, and thus contains the seed of evil. The "good" guys beat the axis powers in WWII, and have now become the new center of tyranny and degeneracy in the world.
At least the history books that happen to be written by the winners, say they are the "good" guys. Another case of might makes right?
polya
Junior Poster

YES

Post by polya »

From a biblical perspective - when the devil was tempting Jesus, he said "the world belongs to me - bow down & worship me..." Clearly, the world is controlled by evil - good people in power get tempted or brought off or murdered...So the answer is YES - evil IS in control. I think its time to wake up & stop co-operating with evil laws. If we don't life will get so bad, we will be "provoked" into violence by hunger or unemployment, etc. Hopefully, good people can take control peacefully like in 1989 when Communism fell. Otherwise, it will be terrible.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston, if you're serious about researching this topic, there's an essay prize sponsored by University of Notre Dame:
http://philreligion.nd.edu/poe/essay.html

The John Templeton foundation gave them $1.76 million dollars in grants for this project:
http://philreligion.nd.edu/poe/index.html
http://philreligion.nd.edu/poe/fellowships.html
http://philreligion.nd.edu/poe/research.html

You can also check what other interesting stuff Templeton Foundation has funded, many of which offer prizes and sponsorships:
http://www.templeton.org/what-we-fund/g ... ch/results
http://www.templeton.org/

They gave $4.4 million dollars to University of Florida to answer the question "Free Will: Empirical and Philosophical Investigations":
http://www.rinr.fsu.edu/issues/2010spring/cover02_a.asp

And $3.67 million dollar grant to study the question of human character: (http://www.thecharacterproject.com/)
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 31224.html

You might also be interested in the Templeton "Big Question" essays:
http://www.templeton.org/signature-prog ... say-series
http://www.bigquestionsonline.com/
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

catameran wrote:This is a valid question I wrestle with and simplistic answers are suspect. I believe it was Plato who brought up the idea of the world being ruled by an evil god. Some believe the god of the Old Testament is actually an evil god of this world and not the true god. The Gnostics believed the cosmos was created by an imperfect god, the demiurge. From my own observations, it seems that power and aggression are rewarded and no good deed goes unpunished. Religion preaches good, but when you look under the hood, it is mostly a few strong men getting power by indoctrination and the rest submitting to the hive. And, I don’t believe it is a matter of a few evil men, because the “few� couldn’t do anything without the complicity of everyone else who give them the power with their obedience. So, everyone has to be evil – the active and the passive. It seems that the animal impulse to “dominance/submission� and the tendency to form hierarchies is relevant to the issue. But then, given the above, it is amazing that we have progressed to even our present state of organization, so there seems to be some impulse of goodness needed to sustain life.
Yes, I believe that the world is ruled by an evil force, but this evil force, for whatever reason, can't exist here with us in a physical form; but somehow, they are able communicate to people on this earth that seek them out through rituals/sex magick and they then give these people advanced knowledge that keeps them ahead.

People such as Aleister Crowley are an example, and as usual, they often become rich and famous even long after they are dead.

Also, check out the movie Eyes Wide Shut, sex orgies, killing people, and underground cults with powerful people participating in this are all VERY real.

http://www.trapezoid.org/
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

Winston wrote:
Terrence wrote:I'm sure you've heard the saying, "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." I suspect evil people are more naturally inclined to seek positions of power, and this more evil people end up in politics and as rulers. Good people are likely attracted to other things. How many evil artists have you heard of?

But what can good men do about the Iraq War, Federal Reserve Scam, banker bailout fraud, health care, etc.?

NOTHING! It out of our hands. So it's easy for you to say that.

Good men could not stop the Native American Holocaust either.

Yes evil people are more inclined to seek power.

Sure good and evil can be relative. But they can be obvious too. Surely you can see the difference between a mass murderer, and someone who is for peace? They can't both be good.

Also, don't forget that evil people do not usually consider themselves evil. Hitler for example, thought he was carrying out God's destiny and also propelling Darwinism forward (Yeah it seems he believed in God and Darwinism) and bringing the Aryan race to glory. So he justifies it to himself in some way.

I wonder how serial killers justify their behaviors to themselves, or those who start wars that aren't necessary.
I respectfully disagree. We can do something by sticking together to the DEATH. If you take cursory view, the evil people were always the minority and they just forced themselves on the majority.

If the majority of good people would just stick together, and fight evil and oppression every time it pops up its ugly head, we would not be in all this madness.

I will admit, sometimes you don't even see it coming. Look at what happened to the Aztecs/Incas (?) they thought the few men from Spain were the returning gods so they did not kill them right away on the spot.

As far as the Federal reserve. People are DUMB! So many books and documentaries have been published to expose that it's a fraud but yet people have not took one day off, and in masse, traveled in the millions to the white house and the federal reserve to protest and physically throw these bums out in the streets who are the ones responsible for keeping us as slaves due to this fractional banking.

It's that simple because a few thousand people can't stop 300 million people! But guess what, millions of people will rather take time time to stand in lines at the Staples center to watch a game, or stand overnight to be the first to by the new x box or concert tickets. Dummies!

In a way, I don't even care anymore because when I take a look around, people almost want to be slaves. Some say it's the natural state of man.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Northamericanguy wrote:As far as the Federal reserve. People are DUMB! So many books and documentaries have been published to expose that it's a fraud but yet people have not took one day off, and in masse, traveled in the millions to the white house and the federal reserve to protest and physically throw these bums out in the streets who are the ones responsible for keeping us as slaves due to this fractional banking.
Realistically, it'd be very difficult for a full-reserve bank to compete against fractional-reserve banks in the West. If fractional-reserve banking makes the Fed "a fraud", then that standard would apply to every other central bank that use the same system. Critiques of the Federal Reserve rarely offer realistic alternatives, including Ron Paul -- and I'm a Ron Paul fan myself.

There are some Shariah-compliant Islamic banking options that you could look into and see if it suits your needs. IMO established Islamic banking is less "fruity" than all those internet gold currency services.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Re: Is Evil more powerful than Good? (disturbing realization

Post by Jackal »

Winston wrote: But if you study history, evil seems to usually win. The oppressors with more power does whatever they want and gets away with any crime. History is filled with many examples.
Yes, there is little justice in life if you look at things just from the perspective of what happens within single lifespans.

Buddhism solves this problem by saying that the karma one creates in this life will ripen at some later time (often in a future lifetime). A mafioso who lived a life of pleasure despite his evil deeds may well be reborn as a mouse which gets slowly torn apart and eaten by an eagle. There are also worse possibilities such as being reborn as a ghost or a being in a hell-realm.

Can you imagine being a small fish in the ocean and having to live in constant fear of all types of terrifying predators? Animals suffer even more than humans do.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

Frederick the Great wrote a response to Machiavelli in which he describes the limitations and failures of using evil to gain an advantage in politics. It may explain why things aren't worse off then they are, and civilization seems to slowly progress despite the many advantages of being evil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Machiavel
ErikHeaven
Experienced Poster

Post by ErikHeaven »

What is evil and what is good? It all depends on your point of view. If you have bugs in your house you spray them dead. Its evil for them because they got killed, its good for you as they are out of your house.
Good and Evil are relative terms based on the moment.
So-called evil is more powerful as many people are afraid of their Dark Side so they run from it and live their lives like a "Church Mouse". I love Satanism and the Left handed path as i feel at home with being Evil and Good in balance.