Forum Avatars - Updates and Issues

Announcements and site updates.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

jamesbond wrote:Winston, the avatar size of 200 by 300 pixels is just too small. How about 300 by 400 pixels or at least 250 by 350 pixels?

Some people's avatars need to be at least 250 by 350 so you can see all the details in their avatars. Please consider making the avatar size at least 250 by 350 pixels.
I looked at 250x350 but it's just too large. 200x300 is already more than you need for an avatar size. At that size, avatars are already visible and clear. Beyond that they look overly large. Right now, your James Bond avatar looks a little too big too. I don't know why it's not resizing.
xiongmao wrote:Is there a limit on how many bitplanes our avatars can contain? And if they're JPEG format can we use progressive encoding?

Seriously though, avatar size is pretty generous here. My own forum has a later version of phpBB and the size limit is tiny.
I don't know what you mean. But the file size has to be under 88kb. Just try uploading and see.

Yes you are right. The default settings for avatars are far smaller than what I have now. So in that sense, I've already stretched the size limitations beyond normal.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Maximum size of avatars has been increased

Post by Winston »

Maximum avatar dimensions have been changed to 175x275. That seems to be the optimum size. It's not too big and not too small.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: Maximum size of avatars has been increased

Post by xiongmao »

I had to resize my avatar, but the board now fits on my smaller screen (13.5" ultrabook).
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Forum Avatars from URL's will now be automatically resiz

Post by Winston »

Announcement:

Ok I played around with the avatars and this is what I discovered. In order for them to be automatically resized to the dimensions you specify, you have to enter the URL of the image you want to use in this field:

Code: Select all

Link off-site:
Enter the URL of the location containing the avatar image you wish to link to.
That seems to be the only field that you can enter image URL's in that will resize automatically. It can be any valid image URL, such as this:

http://www.happierabroad.com/images/image1.jpg
Uploading photos doesn't seem to produce the same effect.

I will also raise avatar dimensions to 200 width by 300 length, as JamesBond wanted. Just make sure to set your avatar dimensions within those limits. Each time you resize the avatar image, if you don't like it or want to change the width or length, just change the appropriate size values in the avatar panel and then hit Submit again.

Hope that makes sense.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote:Announcement:

Ok I played around with the avatars and this is what I discovered. In order for them to be automatically resized to the dimensions you specify, you have to enter the URL of the image you want to use in this field:

Link off-site:
Enter the URL of the location containing the avatar image you wish to link to.
That seems to be the only field that you can enter image URL's in that will resize automatically. It can be any valid image URL, such as this:

http://www.happierabroad.com/images/image1.jpg
Uploading photos doesn't seem to produce the same effect.

I will also raise avatar dimensions to 200 width by 300 length, as JamesBond wanted. Just make sure to set your avatar dimensions within those limits. Each time you resize the avatar image, if you don't like it or want to change the width or length, just change the appropriate size values in the avatar panel and then hit Submit again.

Hope that makes sense.
Am i just grumpy or should Winston have done his homework on this a LONG f***ing TIME AGO?
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Jester wrote: Am i just grumpy or should Winston have done his homework on this a LONG f***ing TIME AGO?
Both statements are true and not mutually exclusive. However, there are millions of things that I "should" have done a long time ago. As we talked about before, the modern world has millions of distractions nowadays to waste your time so that you can't get anything done. The trick is avoiding them and focusing on your goals.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote:
Jester wrote: Am i just grumpy or should Winston have done his homework on this a LONG f***ing TIME AGO?
Both statements are true and not mutually exclusive. However, there are millions of things that I "should" have done a long time ago. As we talked about before, the modern world has millions of distractions nowadays to waste your time so that you can't get anything done. The trick is avoiding them and focusing on your goals.
Agreed!
;)
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Winston wrote:
Another thing is that I assumed that you were smart enough to figure it out for yourself. Perhaps I overestimated your intelligence. :P LOL

Next time I will assume you are an idiot and baby you through every step. :P LOL

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Forum Avatars - Updates and Issues

Post by Winston »

Just to let you all know, forum avatars are now limited to under 175 pixels width and 275 pixels length. This is so they won't be overly large and detract from the forum posts.

Also, I added a default avatar for newbies who just joined us. Here is what it will look like. lol

After newbies submit several approved posts, they can choose their own avatar.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Update:

Just to let you all know, I've changed the maximum avatar dimensions to 150 width by 250 length. So the maximum size of avatars is now a little lower than before. After looking at some of the avatars here, I figured that 175 x 275 was too big and elongated some posts with unnecessary empty space. Remember that avatars are not supposed to detract from posts. They are meant to be small and cute, not too big.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

How do you guys like my new avatar? lol. It signifies that I'm the Admiral and Commander of Happier Abroad. lol. Wouldn't I look great in that big hat and uniform? lol. Maybe JamesBond can put my face in it somehow. lol

Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Winston you can do better than that...... :oops:
Time to Hide!
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Attention: Please REUPLOAD your Avatars Everyone!

Post by Winston »

Are any of you having trouble uploading avatars or changing them? The system keeps misreading the file size of avatars for some reason, even when they are under the size limit. I might have to upgrade the forum to the latest version to fix it. A newer version is out now.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Attention: Please REUPLOAD your Avatars Everyone!

Post by Winston »

Ok I just upgraded the forum to phpbb 3.2.2. Hope that fixes the avatar problem. Let me know if there are any more problems with the avatars or anything else.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Well it looks like the avatar uploads work again. So feel free to upload or change your avatar now if you want, as long as its within the dimensions specified in your UCP of course.