ATTN: The Forum has been RESTORED! Report any problems or issues here.

Announcements and site updates.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: ATTN: The Forum has been RESTORED! Report any problems or issues here.

Post by Winston »

Yohan wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 11:30 am
Winston wrote:
October 10th, 2019, 11:58 am
Yohan wrote:
October 10th, 2019, 8:59 am
Happy to see that the forum is restored, and it seems to work OK again.

However I cannot open this microsoft word file, it seems to be empty... no files inside - only one line with garbled characters.
Did you try sliding the scroll bar to the right? Theres garbage text on the left but if u scroll right you will see the posts. Did you open it in Microsoft Word? If you open it in notepad then select wordwrap.
I tried various programs, and later on changed the *.doc to *.txt and finally got the posts but all is just mixed up, to separate it is very time consuming, anyway, I was only interested to try, I do not really need those posts.

Has anybody successfully open this Doc-File? Which operating system and which program did you use?
I told you to use Microsoft Word. Did you? If you do you can scroll to the right and see the posts organizes in blocks.

Yes the posts will look messy and weird. But still they are searchable. You can use the search function to find your posts by keywording your username or some key words in your posts. Its very easy. Plus there werent that many posts anyway so the file is not even very big to search through.

I also have the same file in XML and SQL format too. If you prefer that, i can upload those too.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Shemp wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 4:49 am
I'm not going to pester you about this, but experienced computer/datanase systems administrators know that it doesn't matter what other people say about backup/recovery, you have to test everything yourself. That test database idea sounds okay, but make sure you actually do it.
Trust me on this. If everyone says a program works then theres no reason to doubt it. Yes ive done backup restores before. As long as you do them in SSH they will be done properly. Even if a backup wont restore or is corrupted, bluehost has advanced tools that will make a backup restore work, even if it means losing a little data. Either way, all bases are covered here. So dont worry about it man.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Update:

I've changed the backup settings to every two days now, so we have backups from at least 2, 4 and 6 days ago at any given time.

Does the forum appear to work fine so far everyone? Are all functions of the forum working ok?

Also, I noticed that there are only about 25,000 topic threads here. There should be over 30,000 if I remember a few years ago. Or close to 40,000 now. That could mean that some topics were lost or deleted or not recovered somehow. Do you guys notice some topics missing?

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I tried Cloudflare (free version) but it wasn't very good at stopping bots.

I just watched that documentary about Reptilians so I'm pretty sure they'll exert pressure on hosting providers making it increasingly difficult to host HA.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 11:56 pm
Does the forum appear to work fine so far everyone? Are all functions of the forum working ok?

Also, I noticed that there are only about 25,000 topic threads here. There should be over 30,000 if I remember a few years ago. Or close to 40,000 now. That could mean that some topics were lost or deleted or not recovered somehow. Do you guys notice some topics missing?
Thanks for restoring the forum !

As fas as I can see, the forum works fine, except the 'latest 100 topics'.
When I click on the 'latest 100 topics', they show up for a second and then there is only a blank page.

Otherwise however it seems nothing is missing, all my comments since 2014 are showing up in existing threads...

Maybe these many missing threads you mention are deleted threads? Maybe threads created by spammers?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Holy mackerel. Check this out. This is what is at the bottom of the forum home page now: