New Social Media/Share/Follow Buttons on HA!

Announcements and site updates.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Winston
Site Admin

New Social Media/Share/Follow Buttons on HA!

Post by Winston »

I noticed that a lot of sites are now using Facebook plug ins that allow you to sign in with your facebook account and click a "Like" button on the page. Do you think it's a good idea to do that here? Would it be a good promotion tool for HappierAbroad?

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/guides/web
Last edited by Winston on August 16th, 2014, 2:13 am, edited 12 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
I've just installed a Facebook Like button at the top of this forum. Feel free to click it to share with your friends (unless you are ashamed of this site of course lol).

I've also installed a Like button on the home page too.

I also looked into installing a Facebook sign on button that would allow users to post here from their Facebook accounts, but it was way too complicated and involved words I didn't even understand, so I dropped that idea.
Last edited by Winston on December 15th, 2010, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I've just added a Twitter Tweet button in the forum at the top. Feel free to "Tweet" any thread that you like by clicking it when you are in the thread itself.

Man I hate having to keep up with this kind of stuff.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

In the top of the forum, I've installed some popular social media buttons, such as a Facebook Like Button and a Twitter Tweet Button. You can click the Facebook Like button to share this forum with your Facebook friends, and enter a comment with it as well. But the button only shares the index of the forum so that no matter which thread you are in when you click it, you will only be sharing the forum index page on your Facebook account. I have not figured out how some forums are able to adapt the Like button to every thread page, as the Facebook page that generates the code for it only allows you to enter one URL per code. If anyone has any idea how to get the code to apply to each page automatically, feel free to let me know. Here is the Facebook Like Button code generator if you want to try to figure it out:

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/ref ... ugins/like

The Tweet button on the other hand, does automatically Tweet every specific page that it's on. So you can click that to share specific topic threads.

Hope these buttons help spread our forum. I will be adding them to the home and article pages as well.

(Man that sounded so cheesy. I feel like I'm going through the motions in saying all that just to keep up with this social networking trend. lol)

Winston

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I figured it out finally. Sheesh. If I don't enter a URL in the Facebook Like Button generator, then the button becomes page specific and will "like" whatever page it's on when you click on it. Sheesh. Why didn't the Facebook instructions say so to avoid confusion? Sheesh.

Anyway, I fixed it so that now you can Like any topic thread here by clicking the Like button when you are in the thread itself.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I've just installed a Digg button at the top too. So feel free to "Digg" any topic thread that you like :)

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
Can you click the Digg Button at the top of the forum when you are on the main index page? If we all click on it, giving it more "Diggs", then this forum will get more exposure and rank higher on Digg.com. So please help by clicking on it (after logging into your Digg account if you have one). Also, you can add a comment in the comment field when you Digg it.

Thanks,
Winston

The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Whatever you installed has some kind of popup thing stealing focus every time I access a page. Makes browsing the forum not fun. Every time I click something I am taken to a new tab with some advertisement.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Terrence wrote:Whatever you installed has some kind of popup thing stealing focus every time I access a page. Makes browsing the forum not fun. Every time I click something I am taken to a new tab with some advertisement.
What do you mean? When you click on the social media button, it pops up a window for you to log into Facebook, Twitter, or another social media site, so that you can share the thread there. After you log in, it shares it and that's it. How does that mess up the operation of this site? Can you elaborate? Which button are you referring to?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
I just replaced the social media buttons above with a preset row of buttons I found from addthis.com which uses a simpler code. In addition to the Facebook and Twitter buttons, there is a Share button that lets you share this forum or the threads with a variety of social media sites, including Digg. If you hover the mouse over the share button, you will see a long list of sites that you can share on.

So share on!

Btw, please try to Digg as many of your favorite threads as you can, in addition to the forum index, to help bring exposure to this site on Digg. To Digg a topic, simply hover the mouse over the Share button and select the Digg icon. Then log into your Digg account. You can do the same with the Facebook Like button.

Thanks,
Winston

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
I just changed the style of the social media buttons at the top of the forum. To share a particular thread or topic, go to it, and then select the social media button you want to use to share it. The "f" button is for Facebook, the birdie button is for Twitter, the envelope button is for emailing sharing, the printer button is for printing, and the + Share button opens up many other social media networks to choose from.

Help share your favorite topics here in Facebook or other social media networks to help spread and promote our movement.

Thanks,
Winston

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I've added a Facebook Like button to the social media buttons at the top under the banner. If you are on a thread you like, you can click the Like button to Like that particular thread.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Just keep in mind, guys, that opinions voiced here about race, religion, and especially Jews, etc. are technically illegal in some countries (Germany, Britain, Canada, Sweden, etc.). Prosecutions are rare but they have happened.

Also, even an unpopular opinion can still render you "persona non grata" so that you get deported or denied entry (e.g. Philippines, Thailand, China).

Plus discussion of p4p or younger women may get you on a list to have your laptop searched or seized when returning home, if you're American, Canadian or Australian.

So be careful what you "share" on social networks, where you are not anonymous.

Like they say, when in doubt, use protection.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Come on you guys. Why do we only have 13 likes on the forum index page? We should have a lot more. Even the home page has a lot more.

So please click the Like button at the top of the forum to help boost our popularity, if you haven't already.

Also share the forum index page on your wall by clicking on the blue Facebook button in the social media buttons row!

Come on guys. Help spread this forum!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Come on you guys. Why are there so few likes on the main index page of the forum? Every other sites has more.

Are you guys ashamed to share this forum with your friends on Facebook? Sheesh. Be proud of HA. Click the Like button at the top of the main forum page please. This is pathetic. Come on guys.