Questions about Website Design for my New Spanish Teaching Website

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Questions about Website Design for my New Spanish Teaching Website

Post by Lucas88 »

Website Design isn't my strong point. I've only ever managed to create amateurish websites with Weebly which basically allows you to do everything via a drag-and-drop function.

Anyway, I envision to create a new website/blog with in-depth grammatical breakdowns for Spanish language learners as well as interesting articles about the many Hispanic countries and their unique cultures. There are already websites which serve as overviews of Spanish grammar, but I intend to go into greater depth concerning nuances and subtleties for the advanced student and touch upon all of those little doubts that are rarely addressed in textbooks. I want all of the grammar points to have comprehensive explanations and various example sentences and translations for ease of learning. I feel that I can do this due to me being a total language nerd.

Thinking about the layout of my envisioned website, I would like to have the table of contents in a list at the left-hand side of the page and enclose the actual grammatical explanations and example sentences in "boxes" in the following manner:

http://www.hungarianreference.com/Nouns ... ative.aspx

The above is a website which teaches Hungarian grammar point by point and obviously has nothing to do with Spanish, but I like the layout and view it as a possible template for my own website.

See how the explanation points are enclosed in blue boxes? That's exactly how I want my own site to be. What are those boxes called in computer geek language? I don't even know what to search for here. I would really like it if somebody could give me some advice on how to make them.

I also have another more general question:

What would be a good website design platform to create the type of website that I envision?

I really am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to computer technology and the internets. :(

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Re: Questions about Website Design for my New Spanish Teaching Website

Post by TruthSeeker »

Lucas88 wrote:
October 20th, 2022, 7:45 pm
Website Design isn't my strong point. I've only ever managed to create amateurish websites with Weebly which basically allows you to do everything via a drag-and-drop function.

Anyway, I envision to create a new website/blog with in-depth grammatical breakdowns for Spanish language learners as well as interesting articles about the many Hispanic countries and their unique cultures. There are already websites which serve as overviews of Spanish grammar, but I intend to go into greater depth concerning nuances and subtleties for the advanced student and touch upon all of those little doubts that are rarely addressed in textbooks. I want all of the grammar points to have comprehensive explanations and various example sentences and translations for ease of learning. I feel that I can do this due to me being a total language nerd.

Thinking about the layout of my envisioned website, I would like to have the table of contents in a list at the left-hand side of the page and enclose the actual grammatical explanations and example sentences in "boxes" in the following manner:

http://www.hungarianreference.com/Nouns ... ative.aspx

The above is a website which teaches Hungarian grammar point by point and obviously has nothing to do with Spanish, but I like the layout and view it as a possible template for my own website.

See how the explanation points are enclosed in blue boxes? That's exactly how I want my own site to be. What are those boxes called in computer geek language? I don't even know what to search for here. I would really like it if somebody could give me some advice on how to make them.

I also have another more general question:

What would be a good website design platform to create the type of website that I envision?

I really am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to computer technology and the internets. :(
If you go to sites.google.com it allows you to create your own website.

Good luck with that.
peregrino
Freshman Poster

Post by peregrino »

@Lucas88, you should try learning some basic CSS -- there are a zillion tutorials out there -- then once you're slightly comfortable you can try using Bootstrap to create layouts. I guess those "boxes" are just containers with some border and padding traits.

If you really want an audience, it seems like all the language teaching gurus these days are doing YouTube and podcasting. You could look for YouTubers that are big with the audience you want, then try to figure out what platforms they're using to make their websites.

Here, I did a little research on this site: https://www.tokiniandy.com/

And I figured out this is the platform he's using: https://kajabi.com/
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

peregrino wrote:
March 9th, 2023, 2:31 pm
@Lucas88, you should try learning some basic CSS -- there are a zillion tutorials out there -- then once you're slightly comfortable you can try using Bootstrap to create layouts. I guess those "boxes" are just containers with some border and padding traits.

If you really want an audience, it seems like all the language teaching gurus these days are doing YouTube and podcasting. You could look for YouTubers that are big with the audience you want, then try to figure out what platforms they're using to make their websites.

Here, I did a little research on this site: https://www.tokiniandy.com/

And I figured out this is the platform he's using: https://kajabi.com/
Thank you for the useful advice, my friend! :D

It was simply my intention to create a website about Spanish grammar. It hadn't occurred to me to do the "language guru" thing. I think I'm too socially awkward for YouTube or podcasting. I had actually thought about how I would structure a language course or textbook for the most efficient learning though. It's an idea to consider. If I were to design my own language course, I'm sure that I would easily have enough knowledge of linguistics and language-learning materials to pull it off and I'd even get my Peruvian ex-girlfriend to do some of the dialogue recordings (she has a beautiful voice).

I'll have to study the website design side of things a bit before I get started. But the links that you've kindly shared will help.

Once again, I appreciate your advice.
peregrino
Freshman Poster

Post by peregrino »

No problem, glad I could help!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

This sounds like the sort of thing ChatGPT could write.
GerardButler
Freshman Poster

Post by GerardButler »

Obviously these people don't know anything creating products or technology. Too stupid and lazy. Oh, but I do :wink:

I'm working on a new language site now

Wireframe

Mockup

Business card

When I have enough free time, I plan to build a new HA :lol:

I am an absolute visionary and a philosopher king :wink:
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

You can view the HTML source code and CSS of that website which teaches Hungarian grammar. The design would not be that difficult to implement.
view-source:http://hungarianreference.com (copy and paste)
http://www.hungarianreference.com/HR.css
glanmit
Freshman Poster

Post by glanmit »

Were you able to create a website actually?
glanmit
Freshman Poster

Post by glanmit »

How's your business progressing? Are you satisfied with the outcomes so far? If you're encountering challenges in crafting texts or essays, seeking assistance from specialized services can be incredibly beneficial. I've personally utilized a service like this one https://domypaper.com/ in the past, and I must say, it exceeded my expectations. If you're in need of professional support, don't hesitate to explore such options—it could make all the difference in achieving your goals.
Ginerbell
Freshman Poster

Post by Ginerbell »

For the blue boxes enclosing explanations, you're likely referring to "containers" or "divs" in web design. Look into HTML/CSS tutorials for creating similar elements. For your website, consider platforms like WordPress or Squarespace for intuitive touch screen interface design ( https://dworkz.com/article/touch-based-user-interfaces-usability-study/ - here for more about that ). They offer templates and plugins for your envisioned layout. Good luck!