Smart Phones - Questions and Discussion

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Smart Phones - Questions and Discussion

Post by Winston »

Just to let you all know, you need at least 1 GB of free space on your smart phone, or else it will freeze and crash a lot and a lot of apps won't even work anymore. But 2 GB of free space is best for the phone's performance. See this article below.

https://www.howtogeek.com/325537/how-mu ... ur-iphone/

I'm not sure if they mean free space in Internal Storage or SD Card Storage, or both, but I would imagine it refers to Internal Storage Space, since that is what the phone operating system uses the most and stores its cache.

I can confirm that this is true though, because when my phone has less than 1 GB free storage space, it starts to crash and freeze and many apps don't even load up anymore.

@momopi what do you think?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

My Italian friend when he visited Hong Kong with me bought this new phone there called Xiaomi M1 A1, because it's the best budget phone yet for its price range. It has 64GB of internal storage and 4GB RAM and other top specs too. It only cost about 200 dollars and has very little bloatware with stock android. No other phone at that price range compares with it. My friend bought it because it wasn't sold in the Philippines yet. Here is a review of it.

Full phone specs:
https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a1-8776.php
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
fdiv
Freshman Poster

Post by fdiv »

I got this while at Nepo Mall In Angeles:
https://www.teknogadyet.com/2017/11/fir ... ility.html
It was only 4400 Pesos. I got something similar for my girlfriend while there but only 2500 with similar specs lol. She went over to pick one out
with me not there so to get a good price, then waved me over. Before any trolls respond "sucker u bought her stuff, fagget loser sucker haha", I wasn't barfining or spending extra money on this girl other than regular expenses and some small bonuses like this and some groceries for her family. All spending was kept at the level as if I were just barfining her and treating her (the girls always want food). Even so she was really modest about stuff and tried to help me keep expenses down.

She told me the basic difference in these off brand android phones and the Samsungs which were highly regarded is the Wifi and connection are stronger and more reliable than on these "chinaphones" (their term).

Anyway the specs on the Aurii Razor 4g Plus

Dual SIM, dual standby, supports LTE connectivity
5.5-inch IPS OGS HD (1280x720) capacitive touchscreen display, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
Dimensions: TBA
Weight: TBA
Android 7.0 Nougat
64-bit 1.3GHz quad core Cortex-A53 CPU, Mali-T720MP2 GPU, MediaTek MT6737 chipset (TBA)
2GB of RAM
16GB internal storage, expandable up to 128GB via micro SD card
13MP dual main cameras with LED flash
5MP BSI secondary camera
Multimedia player
3.5mm audio jack
GPS with A-GPS
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Micro USB 2.0 with OTG function
Bluetooth
Sensors: fingerprint, accelerometer, light, proximity, compass
Battery: 2820mAh lithium-polymer, non-removable

All new, all unlocked, and with decent specs for under $100. I needed a phone at the time since ubuntu update quasi-bricked my netbook. I never had a smartphone in the US (just symbian based phone) and figured it was time for an update anyway.
options in the US: maybe have a shot at a angry bluehaired landwhale and then, prison :roll:
options abroad: limitless 8)
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Question: Do any of you bring your smart phones into the shower to play music while you're showering? I do that a lot and I'm wondering if the shower steam damages your phone. Even if you turn the fan on in the ceiling (which only US homes seem to have) the shower still emits steam that could enter your phone. Are you not supposed to do that? I tried to Google this question and no one has addressed it. No one even mentions rain damage. Everyone only mentions dropping the phone into a pool of water, like a lake or swimming pool or pond or sink or soul bowl. But no one mentions rain damage or steam damage from the shower, amazingly, anywhere on Google, at least not that I can find.

If shower steam does damage your phone then I guess the solution is to buy one of those smart phones that is water proof or water resistant. Those phones can be used underwater to a certain depth for up to one hour. Or you can encase your phone in a plastic pouch designed for phones, which I've seen sold in Thailand and on Ebay, but that would hamper the music playing from it if you played it in the shower.

TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

Winston wrote:
February 24th, 2020, 12:12 am
Question: Do any of you bring your smart phones into the shower to play music while you're showering? I do that a lot and I'm wondering if the shower steam damages your phone. Even if you turn the fan on in the ceiling (which only US homes seem to have) the shower still emits steam that could enter your phone. Are you not supposed to do that? I tried to Google this question and no one has addressed it. No one even mentions rain damage. Everyone only mentions dropping the phone into a pool of water, like a lake or swimming pool or pond or sink or soul bowl. But no one mentions rain damage or steam damage from the shower, amazingly, anywhere on Google, at least not that I can find.

If shower steam does damage your phone then I guess the solution is to buy one of those smart phones that is water proof or water resistant. Those phones can be used underwater to a certain depth for up to one hour. Or you can encase your phone in a plastic pouch designed for phones, which I've seen sold in Thailand and on Ebay, but that would hamper the music playing from it if you played it in the shower.
No, I don't think it's possible to have water damage from steam. One thing I noticed is I was walking with my phone and listening to a radio program while it was snowing. The wet snow melted somehow into my phone and a garbled sound came out of the speaker. After a few hours though when the water dried the sound returned to normal. I don't think you need to bring your phone with you into the shower. Instead leave it outside and connect it to a Bluetooth speaker.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

TruthSeeker wrote:
February 24th, 2020, 1:35 am
Winston wrote:
February 24th, 2020, 12:12 am

No, I don't think it's possible to have water damage from steam. One thing I noticed is I was walking with my phone and listening to a radio program while it was snowing. The wet snow melted somehow into my phone and a garbled sound came out of the speaker. After a few hours though when the water dried the sound returned to normal. I don't think you need to bring your phone with you into the shower. Instead leave it outside and connect it to a Bluetooth speaker.
Apparently, there are discussions now about steam in the shower damaging your phone and causing corrosion inside. Most people say it's not a good idea to leave a phone in the shower, unless you have a water resistant phone like the Samsung S10 series. See below.

https://www.quora.com/Will-steam-in-the ... ge-a-phone

https://www.cnet.com/videos/the-dark-si ... our-phone/

https://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-e ... phone.html

http://behindtheshower.com/can-steam-sh ... ectronics/

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Some great choices if you're looking for a budget or mid-range smart phone for under $300. This guy is a good reviewer and makes a lot of sense.

I would recommend the Samsung A70. It is last year's model and has great specs and screen and has gone down in price now. So you can get it for around $300 or less, on Ebay too.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Just got a Xiaomi phone from Ebay. Great specs at the lowest prices available, yet comparable quality with Samsung and other top brands wow. It seems that Xiaomi can offer lower prices for the same quality on their phones, because they don't spend money on advertising like other brands do, and they have no middlemen, hence they invest their money in their phones only. Wow. I guess Xiaomi is for the intelligent user then. lol. Smarter choice after all. Because you get the best bang for the buck compared to other brands.

The UI on Xiaomi is also better than Samsung. The bloatware is few and easy to remove, and the themes and wallpapers are better looking and mostly free too, unlike Samsung where you have to pay for all the best looking themes and wallpapers. So Xiaomi doesn't seem as greedy as Samsung. I'd highly recommend a Xiaomi if any of you guys are interested in a new phone.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw I have one little problem. Even though my new Xiaomi phone is great, the ebay seller won't tell me about the warranty. He keeps dodging my questions about it. So I complained to Ebay and asked them to intercede. See my letter below. Why would the seller be so evasive about the warranty? Here is the seller's profile page. As you can see, he only has a 92 percent positive feedback rating, which is considered low on ebay. I"m not surprised since he is a horrible communicator and often dodges questions.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/dwi-digital-cameras

My email to Ebay customer service:

Dear Ebay customer service,

I have another issue. I recently bought a Xiaomi phone from the seller below. The phone arrived and is great. However, the seller refuses to tell me about the details of the warranty. I have asked him many times, but he keeps dodging my questions. He keeps telling me to ask the manufacturer, Xiaomi. So I emailed Xiaomi and they told me to ask the seller/dealer that I got it from. So I feel like a ping pong ball being thrown back and forth.

Can you force him to answer my questions about the warranty and find out why he's being so evasive? This is an important issue obviously.

Furthermore, the seller on his Ebay page said that a DWI warranty is included in my purchase, which sounds like an additional warranty on top of the manufacturer warranty. Yet he refuses to discuss it or honor it. If the DWI warranty doesn't exist, then why is it mentioned on his auction page? That is not logical or correct. Yet he refuses to explain this too. In addition, he told me there was a 2 year warranty, yet mobile companies usually only offer 1 year, so I do not know whether he made a mistake or not. He won't tell me that either.

This guy is being VERY evasive. Can you force him to tell me the truth? Here are his details and my order details. Thanks.
Sold by dwi-digital-cameras ( 86958 )
Order number: 19-04719-01443
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 4GB/64GB Dual Sim - Blue (International Ver.)
Item price AUD 278.00
Quantity 1
Item number 323958569041
Here is the section on his auction page (where I placed the order) that mentions the 1 year DWI warranty on my product that I ordered:
DWI Warranty

DWI offers a unique warranty package to our clients/customers to fulfill and eliminate any inconveniences that may arise. Our 1-Year Full DWI Warranty is designed not only to attract you as a customer but for you to purchase with ease/support and trust.

Digital World International (DWI) covers the following aspects:

Manufacturer Defects (known issues caused by particular product and various other ailments that can cause product to malfunction)
Items arriving damaged due to insufficient packaging (it's our responsibility to ensure items are packed well before shipment)

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

These videos explain why Xiaomi is so cheap yet successful and high quality, giving you the best bang for the buck. So it's geared toward the intelligent sensible buyer.

Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

Winston wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 8:56 pm
the ebay seller won't tell me about the warranty
If the phone works the first week, it should work for several years (though there are exceptions where bad connections inside fail after several weeks or months of heating/cooling cycles). Warranties beyond first week are just a nuisance for cheap manufactured stuff. Buy electronics cheap, then throw away when it breaks and buy something else. 278 AUD is cheap (=169 USD as of today).
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Shemp wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 4:40 am
Winston wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 8:56 pm
the ebay seller won't tell me about the warranty
If the phone works the first week, it should work for several years (though there are exceptions where bad connections inside fail after several weeks or months of heating/cooling cycles). Warranties beyond first week are just a nuisance for cheap manufactured stuff. Buy electronics cheap, then throw away when it breaks and buy something else. 278 AUD is cheap (=169 USD as of today).
You forget I bought the Samsung Galaxy A50 phone in August but it didn't break until February. So sometimes they break after some months. This is the first time it happened though. Must be bad luck or bad karma or a challenge from the universe, because if you aren't struggling or facing challenges and obstacles in your life, the universe will create some for you, even using unusual or unlikely coincidences, because life is meant to be a struggle. If you don't a struggle to overcome, the universe will give you some, because life is not meant to be peaceful or non-eventful or too easy. After decades of life experience, this pattern becomes obvious.

Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

Winston wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 5:37 pm
...life is meant to be a struggle. If you don't [have] a struggle to overcome, the universe will give you some, because life is not meant to be peaceful or non-eventful or too easy.
I agree, and that is the best explanation for covid19, though I prefer to say "we are being punished for our sins", the sin being that of making life too easy, as you wrote.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check this out guys. lol. I contacted Xiaomi global service on their website, to ask about the warranty of the Xiaomi phone I got on Ebay, because the seller told me to. And this is the reply I got:
Hi,

Thank you for contacting Xiaomi Customer Support. I am Shubham and Understand that you wish to inquire about the warranty of your device.

I would like to inform you that as of now, we are not selling the devices from our global official website, so we are unable to assist you in regards to your concern. However, would request you to coordinate with your point of purchase for better and quicker support. please note that Xiaomi does not provide the International Warranty and warranty on physical or liquid damage. Also, does not cover warranty for the products purchased from any unauthorized vendor/ website.

For more information, you may refer to the Official Global Website: https://www.mi.com/global/service/warranty/ (If your region is Available) for updates regarding the warranty in your region.

For any further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Shubham

Xiaomi Customer Support
WTF?! LOL. So the ebay seller tells me to ask Xiaomi about the warranty, and Xiaomi tells me to ask the seller/dealer? LOL. LMAO! Why does the universe do stuff like this? What does the universe or God expect you to do in these situations, which are so common? Seriously. What are you supposed to do in a Catch 22 situation like this? Geez.

What do you guys do in situations like this? Don't you hate it when this happens? Why can't someone take responsibility and just tell me what I need to know? Gee whiz.

The same thing happens when I have issues with the forum and my server. When I ask the forum development staff, they tell me to ask my webhost because they don't deal with server issues. Then when I ask Bluehost, they tell me they don't support third party software, and I should ask my forum developers. LOL. That Catch 22 has happened many times. Don't you guys hate that? Why doesn't anyone take responsibility for anything? Everyone just wants to pass the buck. I hate that about human nature. It's stupid.

Any suggestions guys? Why does the universe put us in Catch 22 situations like this? Is it a test? How are we supposed to deal with it? Geez. What does God expect us to do in these situations? LOL