Earning an income online

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Earning an income online

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

MrMan wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 2:41 pm
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 6:54 pm
MrMan wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 6:20 pm
Or it can be explained by compound interest....
Precisely and this is the math that most people can't get their heads around (to their great detriment.)
MrMan wrote: Returns on stocks are typically higher, but they can go up and down, so the calculations are not as simple.
I have differ with you on that one, but I give you a pass because most people are of the same belief. Take a look at the graph below:
I was going to say 'equity investments' but I figured most people would not know what I was talking about. I meant stocks versus interest--putting money in the bank, T-Bills, etc., not that stocks purchased on the stock market are the best investment there is.
Then we are close to the same page then. In recent years, I've been moving away from stocks in favor of buying into syndication deals and multifamily properties. I only wish I had made the move sooner because the results have not even been close thus far.
Spencer
Junior Poster

Post by Spencer »

hypermak wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 5:13 pm
I am in my early thirties but learned to save and invest from an early age, thanks to my family. By far the best investment one can make is on themselves: acquire a skill, a trade, a profession who allows your income to grow over time.

I might not have the best-paid profession in the world (I'm an exec chef) but the experience and reputation I have been building for the past 15 years will allow me to attract investment and open my own restaurant franchise in the next few years. Perhaps it's a part of the US cultural DNA, to think that everything can come easy if one plays "smart", which is why everyone over seems to be constantly looking for the ultimate tip, the biggest thing to invest on, the life-changing seminar, etc.

Reality as I and a bunch of people I met all over Europe have experienced, first hand, nothing comes easy and the "smart" part is maybe 10%. Then it's 70% hard work and passion, and 20% pure luck. By luck I also mean finding the right people to invest with, pick the right timing in a market cycle, as well as the pure effect of chance. My luck was to find two reputable fund managers while working in London UK, who set me up a mid/hi-risk equity portfolio, with some exposure to real estate but mostly stocks. This is one of the best funds I am invested in: https://www.fundsmith.co.uk/

The main challenge people my age have right today is to gain saving power. Unless one comes from a family of money, it's hard for a twenty to thirty year old to stand on their own feet and be able to save more than a few hundred dollars every month, at the same time. I know college debt is and high rental costs in the few cities with superior job opportunities are a big problem in the US. Less so in Europe, since most universities are public but jobs usually pay a lot less an average and taxation is a b*tch.

Let's add that most youth of today prefers living in the present than saving for the future. They are ill-prepared to make sacrifices and live the kind of frugal life their parents and grandparents had. My parents used to let us kids spend our summer with an auntie who had a house on the beach while they worked every day at our shops, 4 AM till past midnight even on Sundays, and only started to take a week a year holiday well past their 50s.
Early 30s back in 2005 dear vanni oldingboy but you know truth deep down and not become sickhead belief own fabricates...wiseton say westman so so like make bragerman bs stories so sad he peg you so so acurate time face music post at own life station for abandonment dremland you propgation thru liarman behavors my dear
"Close mind genus more dangrous than 10,000 dumwits" - Spencer

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

"Wiseton is a very dynamic individual, what most would call a genius. He's started a movement, and only genius types can do such a thing." - Boycottamericanwomen
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

September 8th, 2020, 3:20 pm
MrMan wrote:
MrMan wrote:
Precisely and this is the math that most people can't get their heads around (to their great detriment.)
MrMan wrote: Returns on stocks are typically higher, but they can go up and down, so the calculations are not as simple.
I have differ with you on that one, but I give you a pass because most people are of the same belief. Take a look at the graph below:
I was going to say 'equity investments' but I figured most people would not know what I was talking about. I meant stocks versus interest--putting money in the bank, T-Bills, etc., not that stocks purchased on the stock market are the best investment there is.
Then we are close to the same page then. In recent years, I've been moving away from stocks in favor of buying into syndication deals and multifamily properties. I only wish I had made the move sooner because the results have not even been close thus far.
Are you buying into a REIT or actually buying individual properties? Do you go around with a tool belt fixing properties or use a property management company? If your properties are big enough, the percent they charge may be small enough to make sense.

I remember cleaning up a rental house my family rented when we were living somewhere we did not want to settle. We'd made friends with the landlords who were Chinese. He was a researcher with a PhD from China working at a reputable US university, but owned a property management company on the side and owned properties. He and his wife were going to hire someone to do some work on the property, but it was too expensive, so they were doing it. He'd remodeled the house before we moved in, too. I was loading the truck and he was giving me a thumbs up and saying, 'Good job!' He and his wife were working hard getting things straightened up on the outside. His business involved a lot of manual labor. I remember thinking then I didn't want to be a landlord, not that kind, where you directly fix the properties yourself. Some people enjoy that kind of thing.

What kind of syndication deals are you talking about? When I read that I think of venture capital investment firms syndicating, teaming up to invest in a target firm, but I am just more familiar with the term being used in that context.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

MrMan wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 9:47 pm
MrMan wrote:
MrMan wrote:
Are you buying into a REIT or actually buying individual properties? Do you go around with a tool belt fixing properties or use a property management company? If your properties are big enough, the percent they charge may be small enough to make sense.

I remember cleaning up a rental house my family rented when we were living somewhere we did not want to settle. We'd made friends with the landlords who were Chinese. He was a researcher with a PhD from China working at a reputable US university, but owned a property management company on the side and owned properties. He and his wife were going to hire someone to do some work on the property, but it was too expensive, so they were doing it. He'd remodeled the house before we moved in, too. I was loading the truck and he was giving me a thumbs up and saying, 'Good job!' He and his wife were working hard getting things straightened up on the outside. His business involved a lot of manual labor. I remember thinking then I didn't want to be a landlord, not that kind, where you directly fix the properties yourself. Some people enjoy that kind of thing.

What kind of syndication deals are you talking about? When I read that I think of venture capital investment firms syndicating, teaming up to invest in a target firm, but I am just more familiar with the term being used in that context.
I used to be a turnkey property investor but as profitable as that was, it was full of headaches and management expenses when I was abroad. So I just let the experts do all that hard work for me now.

I no longer invest in publicly trades REITs because they are too tied to stock market fluctuations. I do have some private REITs because they pay me without being affected by the stock market. You access those on equity crowdfunding platforms.

There are all kinds of syndicators out there now. Some are great, others not so tested yet. Generally I go for whomever is purchasing multifamily properties so I can get paid each month from the rent proceeds. The syndicators upgrade the units and then raise the rents and when the property is sold, my initial investment is doubled or tripled sometimes even though I have gotten paid with rents the entire time.

There are tax benefits to that also, but suffice it to say, it is the best way to make money in RE ever.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

September 8th, 2020, 10:22 pm
MrMan wrote:
MrMan wrote:

I used to be a turnkey property investor but as profitable as that was, it was full of headaches and management expenses when I was abroad. So I just let the experts do all that hard work for me now.

I no longer invest in publicly trades REITs because they are too tied to stock market fluctuations. I do have some private REITs because they pay me without being affected by the stock market. You access those on equity crowdfunding platforms.

There are all kinds of syndicators out there now. Some are great, others not so tested yet. Generally I go for whomever is purchasing multifamily properties so I can get paid each month from the rent proceeds. The syndicators upgrade the units and then raise the rents and when the property is sold, my initial investment is doubled or tripled sometimes even though I have gotten paid with rents the entire time.

There are tax benefits to that also, but suffice it to say, it is the best way to make money in RE ever.
What equity crowdfunding platforms do you use to access private REITs? What returns are you seeing?
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

MrMan wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 7:04 pm
MrMan wrote:
MrMan wrote:

What equity crowdfunding platforms do you use to access private REITs? What returns are you seeing?
I’ll try to pm you a list to consider. There is just too much immature naysaying on the forum to get that specific.

Keep in mind that returns can be deceptive. If I have one investing in real estate notes earning me 10% per year, that is great but far inferior to one earning me 5% in dividends, but seeing my initial investment double or triple upon the sale of the underlying assets. So the appreciation potential is often there with those of lower annual dividend payouts.

So for the last few years, mine have ranged from 6% to 18%, but the huge windfalls will come when the properties are upgraded and later sold for profit. After sale, the companies I invest with have been seeing the average returns in the 20% to 30% range which is insane. Yes, market cycles do take place so I might have to wait a few extra years of getting paid rental proceeds dividends, but that is still income that I find very useful.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

September 9th, 2020, 7:50 pm
MrMan wrote:
MrMan wrote:

I’ll try to pm you a list to consider. There is just too much immature naysaying on the forum to get that specific.

Keep in mind that returns can be deceptive. If I have one investing in real estate notes earning me 10% per year, that is great but far inferior to one earning me 5% in dividends, but seeing my initial investment double or triple upon the sale of the underlying assets. So the appreciation potential is often there with those of lower annual dividend payouts.

So for the last few years, mine have ranged from 6% to 18%, but the huge windfalls will come when the properties are upgraded and later sold for profit. After sale, the companies I invest with have been seeing the average returns in the 20% to 30% range which is insane. Yes, market cycles do take place so I might have to wait a few extra years of getting paid rental proceeds dividends, but that is still income that I find very useful.
20 to 30% dividends secured by real estate sounds really good. Is the real estate leveraged at all for these private REITS?

I am curious about tax benefits. I understand the benefits of the tax code allowing for depreciation, even if the market value is appreciating. But what benefits do you get from investing in a REIT?

Also, what do you know about buying into crowdfunding projects like this using a Roth IRA? I do not feel comfortable doing a self-directed ROTH all by myself at this point, but it might be worth looking into. Do you know of any professionals who will put Roth money into crowd funded REITs without charging too much and make sure all the rules are followed?
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

September 9th, 2020, 7:50 pm
MrMan wrote:
MrMan wrote:

20 to 30% dividends secured by real estate sounds really good. Is the real estate leveraged at all for these private REITS?

I suspect the bottom will eventually fall out of some of these real estate markets, which may be a good time to buy into new crowd funded REITs.

I am curious about tax benefits. I understand the benefits of the tax code allowing for depreciation, even if the market value is appreciating. But what benefits do you get from investing in a REIT?

Also, what do you know about buying into crowdfunding projects like this using a Roth IRA? I do not feel comfortable doing a self-directed ROTH all by myself at this point, but it might be worth looking into. Do you know of any professionals who will put Roth money into crowd funded REITs without charging too much and make sure all the rules are followed?
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

MrMan wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 2:20 pm
Some use leverage strategies, not all however. I tend to go with the most experienced management teams who have been thru various market cycles and conditions. Over-leveraging is not a problem with these teams.
MrMan wrote: I am curious about tax benefits. I understand the benefits of the tax code allowing for depreciation, even if the market value is appreciating. But what benefits do you get from investing in a REIT?
None for REITs as I understand it. The tax benefits are in PARTNERSHIPS like syndications or LLPs.

The theory is that you can profit from dividends TAX FREE because you get to deduct depreciation on the properties. The kicker is, you are required to pay those back taxes when you cash out the investment UNLESS you roll it over into a new property via a 1031 exchange. Complicated stuff here so you need to get professional guidance on these. But if you play your cards right, you can take dividends TAX FREE for life and when your heirs take the property, I understand they are NOT liable for the back taxes unless they cash out too. Generational wealth strategy here!
MrMan wrote: Also, what do you know about buying into crowdfunding projects like this using a Roth IRA? I do not feel comfortable doing a self-directed ROTH all by myself at this point, but it might be worth looking into. Do you know of any professionals who will put Roth money into crowd funded REITs without charging too much and make sure all the rules are followed?
That is not uncommon, and I think it is a sound strategy with the right company. Not all companies permit holding REITS in a Roth or Trad IRA because it necessitates a 3rd party custodian. You might want to consider publicly traded REITS for that for ease of management.

Again, discuss these things with your tax advisor. Be aware that financial advisors are not authorized to discuss certain things like real estate partnerships due to the complexities and lack of liquidity. You need to go to a HNW advisor like a family wealth manager to get these esoteric information.
Spencer
Junior Poster

Post by Spencer »

September 10th, 2020, 2:47 pm
MrMan wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 2:20 pm
Some use leverage strategies, not all however. I tend to go with the most experienced management teams who have been thru various market cycles and conditions. Over-leveraging is not a problem with these teams.
MrMan wrote: I am curious about tax benefits. I understand the benefits of the tax code allowing for depreciation, even if the market value is appreciating. But what benefits do you get from investing in a REIT?
None for REITs as I understand it. The tax benefits are in PARTNERSHIPS like syndications or LLPs.

The theory is that you can profit from dividends TAX FREE because you get to deduct depreciation on the properties. The kicker is, you are required to pay those back taxes when you cash out the investment UNLESS you roll it over into a new property via a 1031 exchange. Complicated stuff here so you need to get professional guidance on these. But if you play your cards right, you can take dividends TAX FREE for life and when your heirs take the property, I understand they are NOT liable for the back taxes unless they cash out too. Generational wealth strategy here!
MrMan wrote: Also, what do you know about buying into crowdfunding projects like this using a Roth IRA? I do not feel comfortable doing a self-directed ROTH all by myself at this point, but it might be worth looking into. Do you know of any professionals who will put Roth money into crowd funded REITs without charging too much and make sure all the rules are followed?
That is not uncommon, and I think it is a sound strategy with the right company. Not all companies permit holding REITS in a Roth or Trad IRA because it necessitates a 3rd party custodian. You might want to consider publicly traded REITS for that for ease of management.

Again, discuss these things with your tax advisor. Be aware that financial advisors are not authorized to discuss certain things like real estate partnerships due to the complexities and lack of liquidity. You need to go to a HNW advisor like a family wealth manager to get these esoteric information.
Dear contrarian truth fluid depend how tax law change future especilmente law for estate and have keep mind not only feds but some state geting more greedy more despration want peace of die pie so know state laws

for now best deal keep property or llc propertys enjoy depreciate tax benefit over years but never sell because market value go up and base go down by acumulate depecriate and even exchange have pitfal and and limits and get more restrictful with time so beter avoid sell for instead keep property til kick buket for maybe value rise 2x or 3x and maybe base down 60 percent or mores but when you pass to favrite sugar baby for inherit she get rebase new value in market from day take title then she can sell nex day and wala no gain tax so if sell at half milion she keep whole shebang wowee

good stragy for deferment your sugar payment make deal with golden girl for unlimit free service if will her one apartment clear of embed gains tax for she receve when music stops and it become win win lose for you win she win uncle sam loser hoy hoy hoy

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

"Wiseton is a very dynamic individual, what most would call a genius. He's started a movement, and only genius types can do such a thing." - Boycottamericanwomen
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Spencer wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 5:08 pm
Dear contrarian truth fluid depend how tax law change future especilmente law for estate and have keep mind not only feds but some state geting more greedy more despration want peace of die pie so know state laws

for now best deal keep property or llc propertys enjoy depreciate tax benefit over years but never sell because market value go up and base go down by acumulate depecriate and even exchange have pitfal and and limits and get more restrictful with time so beter avoid sell for instead keep property til kick buket for maybe value rise 2x or 3x and maybe base down 60 percent or mores but when you pass to favrite sugar baby for inherit she get rebase new value in market from day take title then she can sell nex day and wala no gain tax so if sell at half milion she keep whole shebang wowee
All valid points, but my domicile is Florida so I am safe from income tax for the foreseeable future.

Yes, the never selling strategy is a popular one so long as I can live well enough on dividends long term.

But I'm not sure I would leave anything to a sugar baby. I would leave it all to a few choice organizations I support.
Spencer
Junior Poster

Post by Spencer »

September 10th, 2020, 6:22 pm
Spencer wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 5:08 pm

All valid points, but my domicile is Florida so I am safe from income tax for the foreseeable future.

Yes, the never selling strategy is a popular one so long as I can live well enough on dividends long term.

But I'm not sure I would leave anything to a sugar baby. I would leave it all to a few choice organizations I support.
30 percent or more to wiseton for follow legacy thru son on after for hapy abord need you support not only writ post but need cashmony for uplift all goodman aborders

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

That's good for situations where you have a professional filling out your taxes and don't do it yourself. I can only imagine the headache from filling out those forms. I did a K-2 last year.
How do you find out about these? Is it through your business/investment network? I had some friends who were former real estate brokers who were wanting to repair houses and flip them, not something I want to get into right now. That was before Coronovirus was discovered.

For private REITs, how do you cash out if you want to? Do you just wait for individual properties to sell and get cash that way? Do you sell to friends or do the company managers find buyers for shareholders somehow?
This does sound good. Just buying into a REIT wouldn't require keeping tax info forever like real estate, though, right... just 10 years?

Do you know any REITs that invest in rural properties, farms, etc.? Ideally, organic, non-GMO farms if they get that specialized. That sounds interesting. If this pandemic thing keeps going, the prices may go up. And if the powers that be see that they can hype up a disease like this one to shut things down in the future, having rural land may be good for the next go-round. This is pushing companies into setting up infrastructure for people working remotely, so some people may leave crowded cities to get away from politically-motivated riots or perceived threat of disease. I haven't heard about the current panic having a big effect on real estate, but I haven't looked into it for a couple of months. The local market where I am has a shortage of houses and wasn't being affected much the last I learned. But long term, I expect housing prices to drop again in some places.
Have you owned property in an IRA?

Btw, if REIT stocks drop with the market, have you tried buying on 'market crash' days like we had earlier this year? Do these REITS that go down with the stock market also pay out dividends? I haven't followed this, but some money could be made off of a REIT that releases real dividends its value can be calculated off of that drops due to some irrational volatility in the market. You could get a fair return off the dividend, and get the advantages of buying low. If the REIT were light on leverage and was invested in properties that would still be in high demand to rent when the economy takes a downturn, that sounds like a good investment.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

MrMan wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 2:38 pm
That's good for situations where you have a professional filling out your taxes and don't do it yourself. I can only imagine the headache from filling out those forms. I did a K-2 last year.
How do you find out about these? Is it through your business/investment network? I had some friends who were former real estate brokers who were wanting to repair houses and flip them, not something I want to get into right now. That was before Coronovirus was discovered.

For private REITs, how do you cash out if you want to? Do you just wait for individual properties to sell and get cash that way? Do you sell to friends or do the company managers find buyers for shareholders somehow?
This does sound good. Just buying into a REIT wouldn't require keeping tax info forever like real estate, though, right... just 10 years?

Do you know any REITs that invest in rural properties, farms, etc.? Ideally, organic, non-GMO farms if they get that specialized. That sounds interesting. If this pandemic thing keeps going, the prices may go up. And if the powers that be see that they can hype up a disease like this one to shut things down in the future, having rural land may be good for the next go-round. This is pushing companies into setting up infrastructure for people working remotely, so some people may leave crowded cities to get away from politically-motivated riots or perceived threat of disease. I haven't heard about the current panic having a big effect on real estate, but I haven't looked into it for a couple of months. The local market where I am has a shortage of houses and wasn't being affected much the last I learned. But long term, I expect housing prices to drop again in some places.
Have you owned property in an IRA?

Btw, if REIT stocks drop with the market, have you tried buying on 'market crash' days like we had earlier this year? Do these REITS that go down with the stock market also pay out dividends? I haven't followed this, but some money could be made off of a REIT that releases real dividends its value can be calculated off of that drops due to some irrational volatility in the market. You could get a fair return off the dividend, and get the advantages of buying low. If the REIT were light on leverage and was invested in properties that would still be in high demand to rent when the economy takes a downturn, that sounds like a good investment.
That's a very big collection of very specific questions. I'd prefer you enlist the advice of a professional on these.

There are now plenty of resources on the subject online especially YouTube videos on the subject from professionals in the industry.
Stranton
Freshman Poster

Post by Stranton »

Not long ago I discovered for myself such a bitcoin maximalist as Andreas Antonopoulos. I have watched dozens of his videos on YouTube and must admit that a lot of his ideas seem quite sensible for me. I also think that one of the biggest modern problems is that people are not financially literate. At the moment I am working on creating an advising site where rookies could get all the necessary answers to all the questions they have concerning investing. Right now I am researching what a cpaas is to make the portal as comfortable and functional as possible.