Why does my Windows 10 often freeze, hang and lag? Do any of you have the same problem?

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Winston
Site Admin

Why does my Windows 10 often freeze, hang and lag? Do any of you have the same problem?

Post by Winston »

Do any of you notice that Windows 10 is slow and has too many bells and whistles and seems to hog system resources? My Windows 10 even though my laptop is new, keeps hanging and lagging and freezing a lot. Why? I asked Mr S. He said it's because I need 8 GB RAM and that 4 GB RAM isn't enough anymore. Just for Windows? WTF? But the Dell Laptop I got for Dianne doesn't lag. Only my HP laptop lags a lot. So the hardware quality must be a factor too. I don't understand why Windows 10 needs to freeze and hang a lot. Why is that necessary? WTF is it doing?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
josephty2
Freshman Poster

Re: Why does Microsoft keep dishing out endless Windows versions?

Post by josephty2 »

Boo woo bill gates didn't print out enough word search puzzles and ravens matrices test.

As a result we have microsoft....

Windows 10 is for people who truly want to be alone... like paul allen, co founder of Microsoft who died single. Maybe bill gates named it windows 10 because he missed paul allen

I recommend an old style desktop computer that requires wire to connect to the internet. I personally should buy an old style laptop too. If you buy newer desktop computer it has internet card AND windows 10 so it's a headache to deal with updates.
Last edited by josephty2 on April 6th, 2020, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then again, some people go all the way (cognitive dissonance/fallacy of incomplete evidence).

Eat dates.

The problem is iphones.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why does Microsoft keep dishing out endless Windows versions?

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Winston wrote:
February 23rd, 2020, 10:04 pm
Do any of you notice that Windows 10 is slow and has too many bells and whistles and seems to hog system resources? My Windows 10 even though my laptop is new, keeps hanging and lagging and freezing a lot. Why? I asked Mr S. He said it's because I need 8 GB RAM and that 4 GB RAM isn't enough anymore. Just for Windows? WTF? But the Dell Laptop I got for Dianne doesn't lag. Only my HP laptop lags a lot. So the hardware quality must be a factor too. I don't understand why Windows 10 needs to freeze and hang a lot. Why is that necessary? WTF is it doing?
It's slower because of Real-Time protection.
You need to go into Powershell CLI (the Windows Powershell command prompt) AS AN ADMINISTRATOR:

Set-MpPreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring $true

Source: https://technoresult.com/how-to-disable ... mand-line/
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why does my Windows 10 often freeze, hang and lag? Do any of you have the same problem?

Post by Winston »

What real time protection? You mean Windows Defender? I thought that was easy to disable? It's not supposed to have real time protection or a shield unless you turn it on right? It's probably a combination of things, it's really resource heavy it seems in general.

Are you all on Windows 10? How has your experience been? Does your computer lag and hang a lot too with stuck hourglass? Especially when you have multiple tabs open? You'd think with new laptops and the latest technology that would never happen anymore. Geez. What's the big improvement then?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Re: Why does my Windows 10 often freeze, hang and lag? Do any of you have the same problem?

Post by TruthSeeker »

Whenever you buy a laptop it comes pre-loaded with a lot of unnecessary software that can slow your pc down. What I do, rather than uninstalling each piece of software. I download the Windows 10 media creation tool. You can download it here. Then you have to run the tool and create the image on a usb stick. Then you re-boot and make sure you have your bios configured to boot from usb. Then you want to do a clean install of Windows. Delete any partitions so that you recover any lost disk space. If you do this make sure all your data is backed up because this will wipe everything from the disk.

If you turn off real time protection then yes, you could get a virus if you visit a malicious website. Someone could email a virus or a link to a virus so don't turn this off.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

TruthSeeker wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 4:47 am
Whenever you buy a laptop it comes pre-loaded with a lot of unnecessary software that can slow your pc down. What I do, rather than uninstalling each piece of software. I download the Windows 10 media creation tool. You can download it here. Then you have to run the tool and create the image on a usb stick. Then you re-boot and make sure you have your bios configured to boot from usb. Then you want to do a clean install of Windows. Delete any partitions so that you recover any lost disk space. If you do this make sure all your data is backed up because this will wipe everything from the disk.

If you turn off real time protection then yes, you could get a virus if you visit a malicious website. Someone could email a virus or a link to a virus so don't turn this off.
It's too late for that. I already have too much data on my laptop to backup in order to do a fresh installation. Why can't I just uninstall the apps I don't need? How do I know which one I need and which I don't? Anything that isn't related to the sytem operation is unnecessary right? So if I don't recognize something and it's not labeled as crucial, then I should just uninstall it right?

Well I already have Avast Antivirus already installed with shields and real time protection. So I don't need any real time protection from Windows Defender. How do you turn it off? I think Avast or Avira or AVG are enough. They are free too.

Mr S told me it's because you need 8 GB of RAM for Windows 10, and that my 4 GB of RAM are not enough. But I doubt that's the reason. 4 GB of RAM is plenty and can even handle most games too. What do you guys think?

TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

Winston wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 4:52 am
It's too late for that. I already have too much data on my laptop to backup in order to do a fresh installation. Why can't I just uninstall the apps I don't need? How do I know which one I need and which I don't? Anything that isn't related to the sytem operation is unnecessary right? So if I don't recognize something and it's not labeled as crucial, then I should just uninstall it right?

Well I already have Avast Antivirus already installed with shields and real time protection. So I don't need any real time protection from Windows Defender. How do you turn it off? I think Avast or Avira or AVG are enough. They are free too.

Mr S told me it's because you need 8 GB of RAM for Windows 10, and that my 4 GB of RAM are not enough. But I doubt that's the reason. 4 GB of RAM is plenty and can even handle most games too. What do you guys think?
Yes, you can uninstall all the software you don't use through the control panel. I would also uninstall Avast and just go with Windows Defender. It's very good and it's free.

Installing a fresh copy of Windows is always a better solution.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Try these:

-Delete all temp files, unused programs, cache and all cookies monthly.
-Run antivirus with updated signatures weekly.
-Run free Spybot Search and Destroy program weekly.
-Run free MalawareBytes program weekly.
-Run Defragmenter monthly.

If none of those work, save your files to another device and then wipe and reinstall your operating system.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 12:57 am
Try these:

-Delete all temp files, unused programs, cache and all cookies monthly.
-Run antivirus with updated signatures weekly.
-Run free Spybot Search and Destroy program weekly.
-Run free MalawareBytes program weekly.
-Run Defragmenter monthly.

If none of those work, save your files to another device and then wipe and reinstall your operating system.
Scratch the built-in Windows Defragmenter. In lieu, use Piriform Defraggler or even better: Auslogics Disk Defrag.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

TruthSeeker wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 12:25 am
Yes, you can uninstall all the software you don't use through the control panel. I would also uninstall Avast and just go with Windows Defender. It's very good and it's free.

Installing a fresh copy of Windows is always a better solution.
So Windows Defender is just as good?

What about this program called Advanced System Care?

https://www.iobit.com/en/recommend/ascfree.php

Momopi recommended it to me long ago. It seems great. But the thing is, when I run Malware Bytes, it flags it as potential spyware, not in the red zone, but in the warning zone called PUP or potentially unwanted program. Why? Have any of you used ASC before?

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Winston wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 4:28 am
What real time protection? You mean Windows Defender? I thought that was easy to disable? It's not supposed to have real time protection or a shield unless you turn it on right? It's probably a combination of things, it's really resource heavy it seems in general.

Are you all on Windows 10? How has your experience been? Does your computer lag and hang a lot too with stuck hourglass? Especially when you have multiple tabs open? You'd think with new laptops and the latest technology that would never happen anymore. Geez. What's the big improvement then?
You're supposed to be on a VPN anyway with a Pop-Up blocker. Nobody should be on open auth Internet connections unless they really have to (some sites ban users based on VPN detection using React and/or Node.JS JavaScript frameworks.

Internet browsing was much more dangerous a decade ago than it is nowadays. Even many warez (i.e. cracked software) are not as lethal as they used to be.

I use Linux anyway so that shutdowns 95 percent of the threats alone with a VPN end to end secure tunneling with all ports locked down except my VPN port randomnizer.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

TruthSeeker wrote:
Whenever you buy a laptop it comes pre-loaded with a lot of unnecessary software that can slow your pc down. What I do, rather than uninstalling each piece of software. I download the Windows 10 media creation tool...
This is exactly what I did with my windows10 notebook.
I have an external DVD writer unit and also an external hard-disc.
Connected both to my notebook, downloaded the media creation tool for windows10, burned the DVD, reboot and when asked what to do, I decided for a total erase of all data and a clean new windows 10 installation. Took about 60 minutes, and more than 20 GB of pre-loaded useless unnecessary software was gone and never experienced after that any freeze, hang etc. It works error-free, it took a while however for the new installation to install again all follow-up updates.

You do not need 8 GB RAM to run windows10.

About private data-files you want to keep, before you decide for an entire new installation, connect the notebook to an external HDD and copy all data over to it, after copy them back to the computer. - You should copy your data always to any external source as a backup from time to time to be safe in case of hardware failure.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

TruthSeeker wrote:
Whenever you buy a laptop it comes pre-loaded with a lot of unnecessary software that can slow your pc down.

Your right, I am in the market to buy a new lap top and they are all pre loaded with a lot of unnecessary software that can definitely slow down your computer. My lap top I have now is seven years old and is slow as hell sometimes even though I have taken all the necessary steps to get rid of cookies, delete unnecessary software, etc.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

@Winston What you can do in Windows 10 go to Settings > Recovery > Reset this PC. Then click Get started. Here you will see two options:

Keep my files

Remove everything

Choose Keep my files. So your personal files will be kept, however it will remove most applications which is not a big deal because you can reinstall them. I recently did this as I lost my Network Connection and tried everything. It worked like a charm, however, I did lose email messages in Windows Live Mail (a 2012 program that I still use.) So if you have this be sure to back up the messages.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

TruthSeeker wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 2:43 am
@Winston What you can do in Windows 10 go to Settings > Recovery > Reset this PC. Then click Get started. Here you will see two options:

Keep my files

Remove everything

Choose Keep my files. So your personal files will be kept, however it will remove most applications which is not a big deal because you can reinstall them. I recently did this as I lost my Network Connection and tried everything. It worked like a charm, however, I did lose email messages in Windows Live Mail (a 2012 program that I still use.) So if you have this be sure to back up the messages.
You should be decoupling data from the programs anyway. One practice is paritioning your local drive into one logical drive for data, and one or more for data. However, you should SCALE this OUTWARDLY by having the computer local disk drive to be all data and all data should be on a healthy SSD external drive. If you can switch your HDD to a SSD local storage drive too then your drives will last 10 years plus as long as you don't let the SSDs overheat. Number one enemy of electronics besides water is heat!