Programmer wanted to develop Reddit alternative

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Programmer wanted to develop Reddit alternative

Post by fschmidt »

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Re: Programmer wanted to develop Reddit alternative

Post by flowerthief00 »

Impressive that you felt so strongly as to write your own language. That's hardcore.

But is it necessary? People don't choose a programming language for what it is so much as for the community and tools surrounding it, without which nothing relevant can be built. If even alt-tech has trouble competing with the mainstream....
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

Sounds like a good idea. I read your article on Blasma. I agree when you say it should be distributed and open source for the reason that it could be taken down if it was hosted in one central location.

I think that the majority of the software engineers and developers in tech set aside their views on modern culture in favor of doing high quality work for the sake of high quality work. Still, we're all humans, and our biases, opinions, political and religious beliefs will interfere.

The issue I have is that you say "avoid having to deal with horrible modern development environments"? How can that be when you have so many smart and talented developers contributing to the continuous improvement of modern programming languages?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

flowerthief00 wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 10:42 pm
Impressive that you felt so strongly as to write your own language. That's hardcore.

But is it necessary? People don't choose a programming language for what it is so much as for the community and tools surrounding it, without which nothing relevant can be built. If even alt-tech has trouble competing with the mainstream....
Community? If you are stranded in a sewer surrounded by rats, are you going to try to join a community of rats or are you going to try to get away from them? That is how I feel about today's programmers.

As for tools, I made my own.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

kangarunner wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 10:46 pm
Sounds like a good idea. I read your article on Blasma. I agree when you say it should be distributed and open source for the reason that it could be taken down if it was hosted in one central location.

I think that the majority of the software engineers and developers in tech set aside their views on modern culture in favor of doing high quality work for the sake of high quality work. Still, we're all humans, and our biases, opinions, political and religious beliefs will interfere.

The issue I have is that you say "avoid having to deal with horrible modern development environments"? How can that be when you have so many smart and talented developers contributing to the continuous improvement of modern programming languages?
The meaning of quality is determined by one's religious beliefs. In my opinion, no western software has improved in the last 15 years, it has only gotten worse. This is particularly true of programming languages. The new ones are horrible. Probably the best mainstream language for application development is Python and that isn't new.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

fschmidt wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 11:27 pm
Community? If you are stranded in a sewer surrounded by rats, are you going to try to join a community of rats or are you going to try to get away from them? That is how I feel about today's programmers.
WOW. That's all I have to say, considering that myself and my friends are programmers. You just called me a rat. I do this for a living.

HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

@kangarunner
Most are, don't take it personally. If Winston worked in software he would be fired for hosting this forum.

Project Veritas whistleblowers
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=41930
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

HappyGuy wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 12:07 am
@kangarunner
Most are, don't take it personally. If Winston worked in software he would be fired for hosting this forum.

Project Veritas whistleblowers
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=41930
How is it not personal? He just called me a rat. You know what. I'm glad I left America 4 years ago and now I have a nice, peaceful, happy life in SE Asia. I'm glad I don't live in America where even if people don't say nasty things like that to my face, at least I know now that's what they think about me. Anyway, back to my idyllic life by the ocean here in paradise, I mean Da Nang.

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

kangarunner wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 12:20 am
How is it not personal? He just called me a rat.
Are you serious? Grow up, little boy. (Yes this is personal and I am calling you a little boy).
flowerthief00
Junior Poster

Post by flowerthief00 »

fschmidt wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 11:27 pm

As for tools, I made my own.
If your contempt for others of your trade doesnt get in the way of your recruitment efforts more power to you.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

flowerthief00 wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 12:47 am
If your contempt for others of your trade doesnt get in the way of your recruitment efforts more power to you.
Obviously I don't have contempt for all of today's programmers, just most of them. The good programmers are revolted by the rest, so tend to be loners, not part of communities. I hired another programmer 2 months ago for my business, so a few good ones are out there.
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

fschmidt wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 1:01 am
The good programmers are revolted by the rest, so tend to be loners, not part of communities.
Just like Winston is a self-employed security expert but if he worked with other Americans he'd have to censor himself on this forum! :x

https://whatthezuck.net
https://lbry.tv/@RobBraxmanTech:6/What- ... solation:3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z3_Em4S99g
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

Cornfed wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 12:24 am
kangarunner wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 12:20 am
How is it not personal? He just called me a rat.
Are you serious? Grow up, little boy. (Yes this is personal and I am calling you a little boy).
@Cornfed Yes sir. Is there anything else you want me to do sir?