My "Reactionary Software" website

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

My "Reactionary Software" website

Post by fschmidt »

http://www.reactionary.software/

I finished it today. Feedback welcome.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: My "Reactionary Software" website

Post by publicduende »

fschmidt wrote:
April 15th, 2022, 10:47 pm
http://www.reactionary.software/

I finished it today. Feedback welcome.
After so many years in this forum, I am still not sure what constitutes "reactionary" (good) and what is "modern" (bad). You provide a few examples, but you don't explain, for example, why Git is overcomplicated and bloated compared to Mercurial.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Discussing programming with a programmer who voluntarily uses Git is like discussing hygiene with someone who voluntarily swims in sewage.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

@fschmidt
@publicduende

If both of you think you are any good, let's see some of your project examples. Post them here. You have to be voted up by others in the profession to earn a "good" reputation.

I've been in this industry for 10 years and I know fully well by now that being an employee is the road to nowhere. The name of the game is to build something yourself that's valuable and then profit off it. Not to work for a company until your eyes bleed out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

kangarunner wrote:
September 25th, 2023, 6:09 pm
If both of you think you are any good, let's see some of your project examples. Post them here. You have to be voted up by others in the profession to earn a "good" reputation.
Modern programmers are the scum of the earth who hate everything that is good. So anything voted up by modern programmers is crap.

I have 2 kinds of projects. First are my software tools that are really good, so are hated by modern scum. Then there are my commercial projects designed to appeal to modern scum. Which do you want?
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

fschmidt wrote:
September 25th, 2023, 6:31 pm
Modern programmers are the scum of the earth who hate everything that is good. So anything voted up by modern programmers is crap.

I have 2 kinds of projects. First are my software tools that are really good, so are hated by modern scum. Then there are my commercial projects designed to appeal to modern scum. Which do you want?
I have never heard any really good developers advertising their software creations as "really good, so are hated by modern scum". @fschmidt, with all the respect I have towards your Microsoft and Commodore careers, you really are competing hard in the ranks of the worst salesmen to have EVER lived!

Not even your Mom would buy your pair of shoes if your incipit were "my shoes are the best, in fact too good for fat bitches like you". :D
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

kangarunner wrote:
September 25th, 2023, 6:09 pm
@fschmidt
@publicduende

I've been in this industry for 10 years and I know fully well by now that being an employee is the road to nowhere. The name of the game is to build something yourself that's valuable and then profit off it. Not to work for a company until your eyes bleed out.
This isn't a race, @kangarunner. I have done very little open source in my career. Virtually everything I have built is IP of my Clients.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

@fschmidt @publicduende I simply asked both of you to post examples of your work. And the fact remains that neither of you have posted anything. I have a public Stack Overflow profile with a lot of reputation points. I have a public Upwork profile with a lot of positive reviews. I don't have a Github profile. I could list a few companies I've worked for. All those things prove that I'm a good developer.

fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

publicduende wrote:
September 26th, 2023, 4:30 am
I have never heard any really good developers advertising their software creations as "really good, so are hated by modern scum". @fschmidt, with all the respect I have towards your Microsoft and Commodore careers, you really are competing hard in the ranks of the worst salesmen to have EVER lived!
Being a salesman is the opposite of being honest. I am not a great salesman but I can be one when there is money at stake. When there is no money at stake, I am honest.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

kangarunner wrote:
September 26th, 2023, 9:55 am
@fschmidt @publicduende I simply asked both of you to post examples of your work. And the fact remains that neither of you have posted anything. I have a public Stack Overflow profile with a lot of reputation points. I have a public Upwork profile with a lot of positive reviews. I don't have a Github profile. I could list a few companies I've worked for. All those things prove that I'm a good developer.
Here is some of my open source work:

Luan - my programming language
my java library which includes a logger, a parsing tool, a JSON parser, an XML parser, an SMTP client, and a webserver
my web hosting service
my Mercurial hosting service
my javascript drag-and-drop library
my mailer REST API

Now show me yours. The more reputation points you have from modern scum, the worse a programmer you probably are. But I will read your code and judge it.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

kangarunner wrote:
September 26th, 2023, 9:55 am
@kangarunner Well, good for you for helping other people on Stack Overflow and having good feedback on Upwork. I can't judge myself but I do know a lot of excellent developers who have never bothered posting anything on Stack Overflow. Time available for community work is proportional to one's spare time. I met a lot of excellent developers during my career in the City, yet virtually none of them had time to be active in the community. The hours in there tend to be long and I guess most people prefer relaxing or spending time with their families.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

fschmidt wrote:
September 26th, 2023, 10:47 am
Being a salesman is the opposite of being honest. I am not a great salesman but I can be one when there is money at stake. When there is no money at stake, I am honest.
Too bad you don't come across as "honest", but as arrogant and extremely opinionated. You should know by now that software engineering is not an exact science, it's a craft and an industry. Like all crafts, every problem can be solved in multiple ways. Like all industries, it's subject to market laws and a fair amount of chance.

Blaming someone for using Git or any other tool is like blaming a manufacturer for using a specific brand of machinery instead of another. It's just leading to sterile flame wars.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

publicduende wrote:
September 26th, 2023, 5:43 pm
Too bad you don't come across as "honest", but as arrogant and extremely opinionated. You should know by now that software engineering is not an exact science, it's a craft and an industry. Like all crafts, every problem can be solved in multiple ways. Like all industries, it's subject to market laws and a fair amount of chance.

Blaming someone for using Git or any other tool is like blaming a manufacturer for using a specific brand of machinery instead of another. It's just leading to sterile flame wars.
No problem, I simply want all modern scum exterminated. That would resolve the issue.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

fschmidt wrote:
September 26th, 2023, 6:07 pm
publicduende wrote:
September 26th, 2023, 5:43 pm

No problem, I simply want all modern scum exterminated. That would resolve the issue.
@fschmidt @publicduende You both work at Burger King. Every day you wake up and take the bus to the Burger King. Both of you work at the same Burger King. @fschmidt hates people so he works the cooking. @publicduende is the manager. I want to order a double bacon cheeseburger. I want extra large fries also.

fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

kangarunner wrote:
September 26th, 2023, 6:47 pm
@fschmidt @publicduende You both work at Burger King. Every day you wake up and take the bus to the Burger King. Both of you work at the same Burger King. @fschmidt hates people so he works the cooking. @publicduende is the manager. I want to order a double bacon cheeseburger. I want extra large fries also.
Coming right up. But of course I would poison the food.