Discuss smart phones and laptops here

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Discuss smart phones and laptops here

Post by Winston »

gsjackson wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 7:43 am
TruthSeeker wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 3:01 am
@Winston @HouseMD If you carry a cell phone in your front pocket can you get testicular cancer? Ovarian cancer for women? If you talk on a cell phone a lot and you are holding it up to your head, can you get brain cancer with all those radio waves being emitted from the phone. Has there been some research done on that?

I use a cell phone mainly for texting and very little voice. If I do have an audio conversation I use headphones.
Is your Russian good enough that you don't need to have google translator with you in Ukraine? That's the only reason I ever carry a phone around, but, pending any answers we can get to the questions you pose above, maybe that needs to be eliminated. And if the subjugating forces ever try to do their contract tracing thing I won't be owning a "smart" phone any more.
If you want to use your phone as a translator only, just put it on airplane mode so that wifi and call signals are off. Then it will be safer to carry around. Make sure to download the offline language packs for Google Translate so that the translation can work offline without wifi or data. However, not all languages can be downloaded offline, but most can. You can also use a pocket electronic translator too.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Just to let you all know. My Xiaomi Redmi 8 smart phone has been great. No lagging or freezing or hanging. The UI seems smooth and seamless, even better than the more expensive Samsung phone. This is the first android phone I've had where the UI was seamless and lag free, almost as good as an iphone. So I definitely recommend it. Xiaomi is definitely the best bang for the buck, because their phones are the lowest price and highest quality, because they spend all their money on improving their phones and not on advertising and celebrity endorsements like Oppo does. That's why their phones are higher quality for less. So if you're looking for a new phone, I'd definitely recommend XIaomi.

Here's one of the latest models you can get for $150. The Xiaomi Redmi 9. It's a world phone and will work in the US. It has all the specs you need, including 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM (on certain models) and 5000 milliamp battery too, which is huge and will last a long time. And as you can see in the video below, it has a gorgeous purple or green backcover case too. Very nice looking. The only little drawback it has is that the night photos aren't that great, and the night mode doesn't light up night scenes well, but that's trivial and most people aren't that picky about the camera. You can get it on ebay, amazon or techinn.com for about $150.

Reviews of Xiaomi Redmi 9

Wow this Indian lady who reviews the phone is really cute! lol

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

A great tip for any audiofiles here like me:

If you have a ton of audio files on your phone or computer, and they are of varying volumes, and you find it a pain in the butt to constantly adjust volume, here's a free software called MP3 Gain that can help. Instead of tracking down all the low volume audio files you have and using Format Factory to convert them to higher volume -- which could take many hours if you have thousands of files like I do -- this program will do it automatically, saving you lots of time and effort. It will normalize and standardize all your audio files to be a set volume that you select. See info and download link here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/20700/h ... mp3-files/

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

If any of you are looking for a low price phone that is perfect for travelers and still high quality, I recommend the Poco M3, a former sub-brand of Xiaomi. This phone is only $130 now and has it all: 6000 mhp battery life, good loud stereo dual speakers, and decent camera. The 6000 mhp battery is huge and will give you peace of mind about running out of battery and should last for two days at least. For traveling, this is an important issue since it sucks to run out of battery while you are traveling and taking photos of amazing things. The dual stereo speakers is good for guys like me who primarily use the phone for listening to music, podcasts, lectures and audiobooks. The only drawback to Poco M3 is that is lacks the ultra wide camera that new phones have. But other than that, it's perfect and still has a quad camera with depth sensor and macro camera. It's also cheap and expendable, so if it gets stolen while you are traveling, it's not a big of a deal then if you were to lose an iphone while traveling, which would be a major loss. Yet it's high quality and made by a sub-brand of Xiaomi, so you still get a high quality phone for a cheap price. It also has 4 GB RAM and 128 GB ROM which is plenty of storage space for pics, videos and audio files. And 4 GB RAM is plenty unless you are a heavy gamer, which most of us probably are not.

If you Google "buy poco m3" or Yahoo it, you can find some online shopping stores that sell it. It costs more on Amazon and Ebay though since the sellers there mark it up a lot. But if you can buy it from an Asian online mall and have a freight forwarding company send it to you, that would be the best solution. If you are in Asia or Europe then you can get it there direclty at $130.

Here are some good reviews of Poco M3 by authoritative phone reviewers on YouTube.

Some examples of Asian malls where you can get this phone:

https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DYBB01-A ... USUzRCUzRA..

https://shopee.tw/POCO-M3-%E5%B0%8F%E7% ... dKEALw_wcB

Note: Amazon and Ebay have it too but they mark it up by a lot, so you would pay an extra hundred bucks if you got it from there. Note: If you are in the Philippines you can get this phone from www.lazada.com.ph

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here are the 10 best budget phones you can buy right now that are under 200 pounds. This British guy is a good reviewer of phones.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Netbooks are back again! Walmart has a new chain line of them from Gateway. See review below. Apparently they are ok if you are not expecting too much. With 4 GB RAM, they are faster than the netbooks before which had much lower specs. They run around 150-200 dollars at Walmart and are very portable and small, perfect for traveling.

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

So which European country has the best laptop merchandise and selection? Germany and the UK, yeah?
josephty2
Freshman Poster

Post by josephty2 »

Winston, you should probably delete this entire thread and similar threads on technology because you lack understanding of some important concepts.

Think about it, Reddit doesn't like you because of your response to your child / kid Angelo from Philippines.
Then again, some people go all the way (cognitive dissonance/fallacy of incomplete evidence).

Eat dates.

The problem is iphones.
miley
Freshman Poster

Post by miley »

What can i do if my whatsapp storage on iphone is full?
glanmit
Freshman Poster

Post by glanmit »

miley wrote:
October 5th, 2023, 4:56 am
What can i do if my whatsapp storage on iphone is full?
Delete all the photos you don't need. Of course it is not only about the photos, archived conversation and other media also take a lot of memory. This article https://applenapps.com/whatsapp-storage-full-iphone/ has a detailed information about this issues and the ways how to solve it. Make sure that you also clear whatsapp cache on your phone regularly, that will save you some storage space.