The so-called Russian community on Brighton Beach

Discuss racial, ethnic and multicultural issues. Warning: The topics here are likely to be taboo, so if you are easily offended, you are better off not participating here.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

The so-called Russian community on Brighton Beach

Post by ladislav »

You’ve probably all heard about the so-called Russian community on Brighton Beach, in Brooklyn. NY. Movies and reportages have been made about it, and it’s known as “Little Odessa”. However, it’s a Russian community... not.
Where is Odessa? It’s in Ukraine, not in Russia. So, how come this area became known as a “ Russian” area? How come it’s not part of or connected with Little Ukraine in Manhattan?
Very simple. It’s neither Russian not Ukrainian. Its’ Ashkenazi Jewish.
If it’s so, how come other Jewish areas of NY are not known as “Russian” areas?
The reason is the language and signs there. All the Jews who passed through E. Europe on the way to the US in the 1900s spoke Yiddish. They had Yiddish theaters, newspapers, etc. They generally did not speak Polish or Russian or any of those at home.
When the USSR was established, Jewish languages such as Hebrew and Yiddish were discouraged and even prohibited. These Jews had to learn Russian well in order to get ahead. However, local documents still identified them as “Hebrews”. Plus, Slavic people can tell by looking at the face and they call them “Hebrews”.
These were basically treated as Pakistanis in England ( only much worse). No matter how well they spoke Russian, they could never assimilate.
Eventually, they were basically squeezed out of the country,and many went to Israel. Many also opted to go to the USA or other Anglo-Saxon countries. In the US, they settled in a Jewish neighborhood except that they could not speak Yiddish, but only Russian. So, the stores they opened had signs in Russian.
When they arrived in the US, they were asked by Americans where they came from, and they said USSR. An American equates USSR with Russia. It’s the same thing, basically ( in the American mind, that is ). And people from Russia who speak Russian are Russians ( in the American mind, too). And the modern American also believes that “Jewish” just means religion, not ethnicity or race. And Jewish features are lost on an American, too. He/she can only distinguish black, white, Hispanic, etc.
How come these people didn’t say they were from Ukraine? Well, because Jews do/did not like Ukraine that much, and the feeling is/was mutual. Plus if you say “Ukraine” to an American, he/she will think it’s part of Russia. Even teachers and PhD holders in the US don’t know anything about Ukraine. It’s also taught in the US that Kiev was where Russia started. Which is not what is taught in Ukrainian schools, by the way.
You can go and ask what those “Russians’” last names are. Usually it is Goldberg, Goldstein, Weinstock, Rosenbaum, etc. Those are not Russian names. Also ask them what city in Russia they are in, and they’ll say Odessa, Kiev, Donetsk, etc. Some Russia that is!
And how come there’s no Orthodox Church on Brighton Beach if these are “ Russians”? A Russian is an Orthodox person. That’s the whole foundation and main essence of Russian-ness. Again, those things are just lost on an average American.
The people on Brighton Beach are about as Russian as the Amish are Dutch.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The so-called Russian community on Brighton Beach

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

ladislav wrote:You’ve probably all heard about the so-called Russian community on Brighton Beach, in Brooklyn. NY. Movies and reportages have been made about it, and it’s known as “Little Odessa”. However, it’s a Russian community... not.
Where is Odessa? It’s in Ukraine, not in Russia. So, how come this area became known as a “ Russian” area? How come it’s not part of or connected with Little Ukraine in Manhattan?
Very simple. It’s neither Russian not Ukrainian. Its’ Ashkenazi Jewish.
If it’s so, how come other Jewish areas of NY are not known as “Russian” areas?
The reason is the language and signs there. All the Jews who passed through E. Europe on the way to the US in the 1900s spoke Yiddish. They had Yiddish theaters, newspapers, etc. They generally did not speak Polish or Russian or any of those at home.
When the USSR was established, Jewish languages such as Hebrew and Yiddish were discouraged and even prohibited. These Jews had to learn Russian well in order to get ahead. However, local documents still identified them as “Hebrews”. Plus, Slavic people can tell by looking at the face and they call them “Hebrews”.
These were basically treated as Pakistanis in England ( only much worse). No matter how well they spoke Russian, they could never assimilate.
Eventually, they were basically squeezed out of the country,and many went to Israel. Many also opted to go to the USA or other Anglo-Saxon countries. In the US, they settled in a Jewish neighborhood except that they could not speak Yiddish, but only Russian. So, the stores they opened had signs in Russian.
When they arrived in the US, they were asked by Americans where they came from, and they said USSR. An American equates USSR with Russia. It’s the same thing, basically ( in the American mind, that is ). And people from Russia who speak Russian are Russians ( in the American mind, too). And the modern American also believes that “Jewish” just means religion, not ethnicity or race. And Jewish features are lost on an American, too. He/she can only distinguish black, white, Hispanic, etc.
How come these people didn’t say they were from Ukraine? Well, because Jews do/did not like Ukraine that much, and the feeling is/was mutual. Plus if you say “Ukraine” to an American, he/she will think it’s part of Russia. Even teachers and PhD holders in the US don’t know anything about Ukraine. It’s also taught in the US that Kiev was where Russia started. Which is not what is taught in Ukrainian schools, by the way.
You can go and ask what those “Russians’” last names are. Usually it is Goldberg, Goldstein, Weinstock, Rosenbaum, etc. Those are not Russian names. Also ask them what city in Russia they are in, and they’ll say Odessa, Kiev, Donetsk, etc. Some Russia that is!
And how come there’s no Orthodox Church on Brighton Beach if these are “ Russians”? A Russian is an Orthodox person. That’s the whole foundation and main essence of Russian-ness. Again, those things are just lost on an average American.
The people on Brighton Beach are about as Russian as the Amish are Dutch.
Ya ni znal, pa-etamu oichen interesna. No ya khachu payexatb v Brighton Beach patamush-sta ya dumayu tam yayst krasivie zhenshenie. A esho, ya mog Bbi practikobatb mnoga russkovo yazika!

Didn't know that, so it's interesting. But, I want to go to BB because I think there are pretty women there. Also, I would be able to practice more Russian!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Giving myself a pat on the back for being able to understand CE's po-russkii.

It has been several decades!
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Jester wrote:Giving myself a pat on the back for being able to understand CE's po-russkii.

It has been several decades!
Wow, you're always full of surprises Mr. Jester.

I feel as if I stay away from it a week, I'll have to start again from the beginning.

It is a great language to know and I hope to soon put it to use in Central Asia. It works very well with Russians in the US however. They are so surprised that a guy like me can hold a basic conversation.
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

Well, our motto in the USA was E Pluribus Unum

We've tended to ignore the New World Order stuff since the "Founding Fathers" passed away, but continued the "E Pluribus Unum" with the "melting pot" idea. The French-speakers in Louisiana were compelled to stop speaking French, and to take up English. The same thing happened to the American Indians. But, recently we've moved towards multiculturalism as an ideal. A few Cajuns (and some American Indians) are trying to preserve their language and culture.

We used to have a wrestler Ivan Koloff, who pretended to be a Russian from Kiev

I was a kid then, and thought it was real. :oops:

They've both dropped the fake Russian accent, and become some sort of an evangelists.