How they treat Russians in America

Discuss racial, ethnic and multicultural issues. Warning: The topics here are likely to be taboo, so if you are easily offended, you are better off not participating here.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How they treat Russians in America

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

ladislav wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 2:36 am
That makes absolutely no sense. What is a "real Russian" anyway? The White, Slavic Russians we think of in Russia are originally from Ukraine (Kievan Rus) anyhow.
To understand it, one needs to leave the English language behind and think in Russian. There is a word "Russkiy", and this denotes those people whom you call "White Slavic Russian" ( this term is not translatable into Russian).
They are people like Putin or Kurnikova or Medvedev. Origin Slavic blood with a great deal of Finnish admixture. They recognize each other by names and faces.Yes, some of their ancestors came from Ukraine, but it was 1000 years ago. Their names are not Ukrainian, and their faces look different, also.
Chechens, Udege, Evenks, Ulchs, Evens, Nana and several other groups.
In addition, there are many Russians who are Cossacks, Ingush, Lezgin, Dagastani, Tartar, Ossetian, Alans, Avars, Circassians,
In Russia, these are called "Natzmen", ethnic minorities. Kind of like Pakistanis and Jamaicans in England. No Englishman would seriously call those people " English".
In Russia, people never call them "Russkie". They're just called by those names you have posted above.
That is an oversimplified description of Russian society. Even though you are correct that Russkiy implies an ethnic Russian (Many of whom are very ethnically mixed), this in no way makes ethnic minorities who predate Kievan Rus people any less "Real Russian." If you tell them that, I suppose you would get an earful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demograph ... nic_groups
ladislav wrote: Cossacks are not an ethnic group but a social class, although they like to be seen as an ethnic group, but they would probably be more akin to Texans trying to be a separate ethnic group.
Not quite. There is ample historical and sociological authority that establishes Russian Cossacks as an ethnic group with several sub-groupings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cossacks

In the 2002 Russian Census, 140,028 people claimed Cossack ethnicity, with 67,573 people identifying as ethnic Cossack in the Russian Census of 2010. Between 3.5 and 5 million people associate themselves with the Cossack identity in Europe and across the world.
ladislav wrote: Jews were not allowed to live in Russia proper by law in the old times. They lived in Luthuania, Poland, Ukraine, etc. Only after 1917 did they move into Russia. So, it is only 103 years now. Jews are not seen as an indigenous population of the country and are not liked. They are called Hebrews which is what they are. inorodtsy.
Not so fast. There is evidence of Jews living in Russia going back 1500 years. Also, some Jews may have been indigenous to Russia if you believe the Khazaria conversion theory which some historians dispute. But neither are Slavic Russians indigenous to what is today Russia for the reasons I indicated before.

But you are incorrect about Jews not being allowed to live in a designated region. It was called the Pale of Settlement and Catherine The Great imposed that restriction in 1791. However, Jews were free to live all over Russia before that time, and even after 1791, they often received special permission to settle across Russia. The below map shows Jewish settlement patterns in the 1800's when you said they were restricted only to the Pale of Settlement.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

ladislav wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 6:58 pm
I
I frequently hear the following comment “Your English is so well! You don’t have an accent - you must have studied it in Russia?!”
Since you used 'well' instead of 'good' as a predicate adjective, that doesn't come off as something a native speaker would write. I'm just saying.

I just thought of you as a slav lad. I didn't realize you were female prior to this. There aren't a lot of females on the forum.

I'm sorry you faced all that discrimination. I'd never heard anything about 'rushing' someone back to Russia, but I've never been to NYC or lived anywhere that had a lot of Russians. I had a fellow student in a grad program who was from the Ukraine, but she'd moved to the US as a child.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

MrMan wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 6:29 pm
ladislav wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 6:58 pm
I
I frequently hear the following comment “Your English is so well! You don’t have an accent - you must have studied it in Russia?!”
Since you used 'well' instead of 'good' as a predicate adjective, that doesn't come off as something a native speaker would write. I'm just saying.

I just thought of you as a slav lad. I didn't realize you were female prior to this. There aren't a lot of females on the forum.

I'm sorry you faced all that discrimination. I'd never heard anything about 'rushing' someone back to Russia, but I've never been to NYC or lived anywhere that had a lot of Russians. I had a fellow student in a grad program who was from the Ukraine, but she'd moved to the US as a child.
This was not written by me, I just posted this report from Quora. I think she did mistype something. There are maybe half a million Russians in the USA ( not Armenians, not Ukrainians, not Jews but real Russians). If the US were that bad, they'd all move out. Apparently, she was in some unusual place at an unusual time. Very unlucky. Had she gone to a private school and a better area, maybe things would not have been so bad.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

That is an oversimplified description of Russian society. Even though you are correct that Russkiy implies an ethnic Russian (Many of whom are very ethnically mixed), this in no way makes ethnic minorities who predate Kievan Rus people any less "Real Russian." If you tell them that, I suppose you would get an earful.
Well, I am not the one simplifying it, but they are the ones doing it And no one on Earth is pure initially, but within the Russian society, there a is " russkiy" and a "ne-russkiy". Who is "russkiy" is decided by other "russkiys". Jews are "ne-russkiye" and also Gypsies and ethnic Germans many of whom were treated way worse than Japanese Americans.

An Ivan Ivanov is a russkiy. An Abram Goldberg is not. A Batyr Sharafutddin is not. A Mohammed Ibrahimov is not.

Also, the ethnic mixture of russkie would be Slavic and Finnic. No Semitic blood would be accepted. No Chechens, no Tatars, etc. They are ne-russkie. I am not inventing it, but that is just the way it is. Who is risskiy and not is decided first by facial features, then by name and then by ancestry. The fact that several hundred years ago, they were different Finnic tribes who mixed with Slavs is no longer relevant.

Russkiy
Ne Russkiy ( Hebrew)
Ne Russkiy ( narrow eye)
Ne Russkiy ( Chechen) a Caucasus ethnic group
Yes, those others are ethnic groups ( called nationalities in Russian) but if you have a Russian face and name with no admixture which they consider foreign, you are ne-russkiy. This is very deeply seated in their country.
In the 2002 Russian Census, 140,028 people claimed Cossack ethnicity, with 67,573 people identifying as ethnic Cossack in the Russian Census of 2010. Between 3.5 and 5 million people associate themselves with the Cossack identity in Europe and across the world.
Oh, yes, they've been trying to do that. "We are not Russians, but Cossacks". Although, ethnically, they are still Slavic with some Asian blood. They still mostly have Russian or Ukrainian names, Russian or Ukrainian faces, etc. So, they identified themselves that way. I guess now the Russian gov't is more permissive. In the Soviet times, they were listed as Russians or Ukrainians. No Cossack ethnicity was given to anyone.
here is evidence of Jews living in Russia going back 1500 years. Also, some Jews may have been indigenous to Russia if you believe the Khazaria conversion theory which some historians dispute. But neither are Slavic Russians indigenous to what is today Russia for the reasons I indicated before.

Thanks, this is news to me, but are you not talking about what is now Ukraine? Or Kievan Rus? Because in UKraine, those areas would not be seen as Russia.
But you are incorrect about Jews not being allowed to live in a designated region. It was called the Pale of Settlement and Catherine The Great imposed that restriction in 1791. However, Jews were free to live all over Russia before that time, and even after 1791, they often received special permission to settle across Russia.
This is news to me. II guess there were not that many of them. But Khazars would still be called Khazars, not "Yevrey"
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!