The Problem with this Website and Others Like It

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
rudder
Junior Poster

The Problem with this Website and Others Like It

Post by rudder »

djfourmoney wrote:Why you so negative? Make your own luck by being prepared... Just about any FSU or former FSU country would be fine, even Belarus and Lithuania.

You don't see any trip reports because too many people think like you do, duh.

This is the problem with this website, people are way too negative and talk themselves out of traveling, amazing.

Stay off the beaten path, its cheaper and Westerners don't go there. More for you... Honestly FSU isn't somewhere I would want to live because of the weather.

There are millions of women in FSU who won't have children (or out of desperation have a child with a stranger, don't scoff, I know at least two women who have done it) or ever get married because morons like you like to look at everything negative.

Its restricted travel (Visas are required for most countries there), but its affordable overall. Line up some dates and go, don't be a children-sh*t.
How come on most expat forums when someone brings up the topic such as they're moving to X country to be with a girl or to meet women, most people immediately try to discourage them from doing so. In general when people talk about women the first thing they say is, "Be careful - women from country X are extremely good at being gold diggers." It seems so many people try to discourage others from trying to be happier abroad.

You name it. The glass is always half empty for most people online. They'll always find some little problem, and harp on it as the supreme reason to stay home. Addressing the specific issue of women being gold diggers abroad, I would say it's more of a risk at home, and the real sociopathic foreign con artists are a small minority of the given population of any foreign country. Still, people on the internet like to paint the picture that if you go to X country you will be mugged at every turn and pumped and dumped for your money by the most skillful, sociopathic women on the planet.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

While I agree with some of the things DJ has posted, there is some truth to the notion that some FSU countries aren't the safest place to be in: especially if you're a person-of-color or someone with dark or Asian skin.

So all the reports of skinhead activity and racist gangs--are all made-up by the media then? I doubt it...If there's one thing the media gets right is reporting on racial violence in the U.S. and in other countries. ...

You have to be honest in your reporting and views on other countries; it sounds like DJ want's everyone to blow smoke up everyone's butt, and avoiding telling the truth about some negative things happening in a particular country. If he thinks that's "too negative"...well, do you want the truth or not?

That's not the way to go...for example, Winston criticizes some aspects of Filipino society and culture; Ghost and I often talk about some of the negative aspects of China. Xiongmao and AIB does the same about Thailand...

You have to be balanced in your posts: if you want a distorted view about a country, then go to other forums for that.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

When many of us say things like this to a first timer, it isn't too discourage them. It's too remind them that traveling in some of these places can very well be dangerous, and the women are not necessarily all coming after you with the best intentions. If they go over with rose colored glasses thinking everything is wonderful, they might put themselves in compromising positions that can endanger them in many ways.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

HouseMD wrote:When many of us say things like this to a first timer, it isn't too discourage them. It's too remind them that traveling in some of these places can very well be dangerous, and the women are not necessarily all coming after you with the best intentions. If they go over with rose colored glasses thinking everything is wonderful, they might put themselves in compromising positions that can endanger them in many ways.

Right. And most people who are attracted to this forum are not experienced or successful with women so they are vulnerable to manipulation by them. There are ongoing scams in the Philippines for example which prey on new and naive visitors. If a newbie is forewarned then he can recognize and avoid these scams.
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

If you're not white, it's simple.

Don't travel to Russia.
"Allow me to show you the Power Cosmic!" - Silver Surfer
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

I say that the worst fate of all is being trapped in the USA for the rest of my life. No matter what people say to try to scare me, I'd rather risk death or heartbreak or worse in a foreign country.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

Hero your responses seem to come right out of my mind, I agree.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Hero wrote:I say that the worst fate of all is being trapped in the USA for the rest of my life. No matter what people say to try to scare me, I'd rather risk death or heartbreak or worse in a foreign country.
I was referring to other expat websites. Not to this forum. It seems like some people like to harp on the bad to discourage others and not to provide any practical advice on how to avoid danger. Regarding the media, their job is to report all the worst things that happen everywhere. Aside from the basics: don't look too flashy, use a torso pouch to carry your valuables, don't walk around alone late at night.... there's not really much you can do to avoid danger in a foreign country. Same in the USA. It's called luck. Some places are worse than others.

Also what detailed advice is there for a socially inept guy with little women experience to avoid bad women and find good women. Obviously avoid hookers and things like that if you're looking for a good relationship. What red flags are there when you have a foreign girlfriend????????
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Re: The Problem with this Website and Others Like It

Post by Jackal »

rudder wrote: How come on most expat forums when someone brings up the topic such as they're moving to X country to be with a girl or to meet women, most people immediately try to discourage them from doing so.
Well, I assume that you're talking about expat forums in English. This phenomenon you mentioned occurs because most of the members are brainwashed citizens of the anglosphere who have been trained from birth by their media to be afraid of travelling to foreign countries. Obedient workers who think that their home country is "number 1" and who are afraid to be seen by their countrmen saying anything which implies that their home country is not "number 1" are much easier to control.

SilverEnergy wrote:If you're not white, it's simple.

Don't travel to Russia.
I think that Asians might do okay in eastern Russia which has Asian-looking people anyway, but I don't know much about Russia.

Some Russian city girls who listen to rap music have a fetish for ghetto-type black guys, but I am not sure how educated black guys would do in Russia.