Why is America so obsessed with guns?

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why is America so obsessed with guns?

Post by Cornfed »

gsjackson wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 12:32 am
Wish I could bare my arms, but it's been damn cold in Serbia lately.

Sorry, Corn. Winston towing a line in a recent post triggered the diction Nazi in me, and now I just had to spring into action.
I used it correctly in one place and incorrectly in another. Hey, it is just the flow of speech, like Shakespeare did, and there is no law requiring me to be sober.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Cornfed wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 11:59 pm
MrMan wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 2:24 pm
Why can't we have nuclear bombs? It is reasonable for there to be restrictions on some weapons.
There is really no exact answer to what the courts should rule. I guess you would have to go by historical precedent and common sense. It is clear from the text of the Second Amendment that it was talking about a pre-existing English right. So you would look back to English tradition to see what rights to bear arms people had, and indeed free men did have rights, but there were restrictions. Also, the text is about arms you bare, as in carry. It is not about ships of the line or whatever. It is clearly applying to basic military weapons the average soldier would carry. As to where you draw the line, which exact weapons this applies to, where exactly you get to carry them etc., the courts have to make that judgement. It is like lots of things, such as the age of consent, the speed limit etc.
The courts in the US would decide which restrictions from the state are not in line with the constitution. But that is a valid point about an individual not 'baring' a weapon from a tank. One historicist view that would effectively allow for some gun control would be for a state or city that wants to have gun control to pass a law that forbids bearing any hand gun but individually crafted front load muskets. That was the technology around 1790. Replaceable parts became a thing around 1800 or a little thereafter if I remember my history right (and I was taught it right). Eli Whitney, cotton gin inventor, had something to do with advancing replaceable parts in rifle manufacturing technology.

I do like being able to have a rifle in the home, though. There are a lot of hunters in rural areas in the United States, and also among city or suburb dwellers who go out to the country to hunt deer. In some places, the deer population grows to the point where it bothers farmers and the state allows hunters to bait dear with corn and chemical licks, etc.

I've been wanting to try some rendang made out of venison. If I find some time this year, my wife has an Indonesian friend whose husband has some deer on his land. If he is looking for someone who wants to go hunting with him, I may get a license this year. I've got to adjust the scope. I don't know where the firing ranges are around here, either.
josephty2
Freshman Poster

Post by josephty2 »

Americans are obessessd with guns probably from the first arrival of Europeans - the Spaniards brought guns and cannons and totally wiped out the Aztecs and Incans, completely shocked them and defeated them without mercy. Of course, smallpox really wrecked the rest of the Native Americans.

The British and Colonialists in what is now the East Coast of the USA, brought guns and guns did similar effects to what the Spaniards did to the Incans/Aztecs, shock. Whats different is it took longer for the Americans to defeat 90% of the Native Americans. Americans had to move westward, and it took awhile to establish, given snowy conditions that killed many in the Oregon Trail.
Then again, some people go all the way (cognitive dissonance/fallacy of incomplete evidence).

Eat dates.

The problem is iphones.