Dating 18-19 year olds when your 10+ years older

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Signet
Freshman Poster

Re: Dating 18-19 year olds when your 10+ years older

Post by Signet »

Jonny Law wrote:Women are basically grown children according to science.

Thanks and enjoy :)
What science is that?

And as to the rest, I think you're mistaking biology with culture. When scientists at Newcastle University say that girls optimize brain connections faster than boys, that is not accounting for the presence of an all-pervasive media that glorifies #YOLO, drink all the time, have as much sex as you can to 'discover yourself,' don't ever take responsibility for your own actions. Of course those 18 year old girls who aren't mature won't GET mature. They'll be the 30 year olds still partying it up until they find they aren't quite so desirable anymore, and causing the next group of guys to talk about carousels and wifing up broken goods. But we still THINK of 18 year olds as kids because of this, while a 29 year old is unambiguously an adult. Though 'childhood' age may even eventually moves up if this extended childhood goes on long enough (I don't know how credible they were because I don't care enough to look it up, but if the rumors about moving the legal drinking age to 25 are true, that would tend to indicate that we're also starting to not think 21 is 'adult enough' either, which means the age gap will become even more restrictive).
johnnyderp
Freshman Poster

Post by johnnyderp »

Signet wrote:As a result of this, an 18 year old is still a 'child' because there has been no impetus for them to grow up. My former roommate's 18 year old daughter acts indistinguishable from the way she acted at 14 (she may even be worse now than then, in terms of maturity), so to people, a 28 year old man dating an 18 year old woman still kinda looks a lot like a 28 year old man dating a 14 year old.

In societies that have 'normal' development, this isn't as big of a gap because an 18 year old is still credited as an adult, and is probably more likely to act like one.
Yes, it definitely depends on the culture. I dated a 19 year old Ukrainian girl in Turkey ( I was 40 at the time) and found her more mature than many 30-something Australian women. It feels like I need to dumb myself down talking to Anglosphere women, keeping them entertained with inane, light-hearted banter and avoiding any serious topics. Their ADD attention-spans can't focus on any topic that doesn't involve celebrities, home renovations, tattoos, consumerism or getting drunk.

Sure, Anglosphere girls develop faster than boys, but they seem to stop developing mentally after about age 15. I find even European women from feminist countries like Denmark and France far easier to chat with about non-trivial topics than most Anglosphere women.
Inter2002
Freshman Poster

Post by Inter2002 »

johnnyderp wrote:
Signet wrote:As a result of this, an 18 year old is still a 'child' because there has been no impetus for them to grow up. My former roommate's 18 year old daughter acts indistinguishable from the way she acted at 14 (she may even be worse now than then, in terms of maturity), so to people, a 28 year old man dating an 18 year old woman still kinda looks a lot like a 28 year old man dating a 14 year old.

In societies that have 'normal' development, this isn't as big of a gap because an 18 year old is still credited as an adult, and is probably more likely to act like one.
Yes, it definitely depends on the culture. I dated a 19 year old Ukrainian girl in Turkey ( I was 40 at the time) and found her more mature than many 30-something Australian women. It feels like I need to dumb myself down talking to Anglosphere women, keeping them entertained with inane, light-hearted banter and avoiding any serious topics. Their ADD attention-spans can't focus on any topic that doesn't involve celebrities, home renovations, tattoos, consumerism or getting drunk.

Sure, Anglosphere girls develop faster than boys, but they seem to stop developing mentally after about age 15. I find even European women from feminist countries like Denmark and France far easier to chat with about non-trivial topics than most Anglosphere women.
Well that's encouraging thing to read that you've date a 19 year old when you were 40 at that time. I'm 28 and find myself surrounded with good looking beautiful 18-19 year old girls .
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

I'm married and not looking, but I find that Filippinas that age call me 'uncle.' I'd imagine that could be an obstacle for singles in their 40s looking for a woman in the Philippines.
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

MrMan wrote:I'm married and not looking, but I find that Filippinas that age call me 'uncle.' I'd imagine that could be an obstacle for singles in their 40s looking for a woman in the Philippines.
NO!

There is no problem for 18 year olds in the Philippines dating 40's something man.

Obviously when you were in the Philippines you did not open your eyes and see old men with young dates.