Working 2 jobs is becoming the norm.

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
CB8
Freshman Poster

Working 2 jobs is becoming the norm.

Post by CB8 »

It seems like more Americans are working two jobs these days. Does anyone else notice this? Even those with full time jobs are compelled to get a part-time job on the side to keep up with America's ever-rising cost of living.

Sometimes I feel crazy and lazy for not wanting to take on another job, even if my one full-time job pays low and I'm living frugally. I just can't imagine getting another job on the side and leaving what little hours I have for my hobbies and relaxation behind. How most Americans can abandon their livelihoods just to work harder for corporations that don't care about them is beyond me.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 27th, 2019, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Re: Working 2 jobs is becoming the norm.

Post by gnosis »

CB8 wrote:How most Americans can abandon their livelihoods just to work harder for corporations that don't care about them is beyond me.
Your sentence is a little awkwardly worded, but the reason many Americans work multiple jobs is that they have no choice. If it's work two jobs and eat or work one job and not eat, people tend to take the extra job.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

Ghost wrote:It's because the "good jobs" are gone, obviously (having been outsourced or insourced.)That leaves low-level part time work (not full time, so that companies don't have to pay benefits.) Workers have been f***ed from every angle.
Unfortunately, I have discovered this first hand. One slime ball told me that they (his company) like to give back to the community. In the same breath he raved about a foreign worker he had just hired.

Now older people are really puzzled that young men can't get jobs. Yes, it's very puzzling, isn't it? If you hire foreigners instead of giving your young men a chance, then there aren't enough jobs for young men in your country.

You also have less social stability because of all the unmarried young men. These guys won't be building up the local community.
CB8
Freshman Poster

Post by CB8 »

gnosis wrote:the reason many Americans work multiple jobs is that they have no choice. If it's work two jobs and eat or work one job and not eat, people tend to take the extra job.
I'd rather just eat less and live frugally than take the extra job. Ghost is right that for single men it's a lot easier to work less, just enough to cover your own needs, and then focus on your own hobbies.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

For two straight years I worked THREE jobs at the same time! I had to, to pay off some bills. Now I am working lot's of overtime at one job. I still don't know how I worked three jobs for two years in a row, that is something I never want to do again! I was physically and emotionally exhausted all the time.

I know two guys that work TWO FULL TIME JOBS AT THE SAME TIME! They are working 80 hours a week and have been for 4 straight years! Both guys are paying child support to their ex wives.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

gnosis wrote:
Ghost wrote:It's because the "good jobs" are gone, obviously (having been outsourced or insourced.)That leaves low-level part time work (not full time, so that companies don't have to pay benefits.) Workers have been f***ed from every angle.
Unfortunately, I have discovered this first hand. One slime ball told me that they (his company) like to give back to the community. In the same breath he raved about a foreign worker he had just hired.

Now older people are really puzzled that young men can't get jobs. Yes, it's very puzzling, isn't it? If you hire foreigners instead of giving your young men a chance, then there aren't enough jobs for young men in your country.

You also have less social stability because of all the unmarried young men. These guys won't be building up the local community.

Meanwhile everyone will tell you that you're a loser, because they did it. Even for the sociopaths who recite that lie, they themselves faced hardship in their youth which they overcame with assistance from family, a girlfriend or wife, or by taking multiple jobs.

Many years ago I was working with a man 15 years older than me who showed me his ATM receipt with $30,000 cash printed on it. He was so proud of himself, waving it in my face. Then he made attempts to shame me, asking me where my money is, at my age I should have much more.

The fool was working the same job as me, a man 15 years his junior. He also had a working wife. Even if she only maked $500 a week or even every two weeks, that contributes towards rent/mortgage and food. But also... the man never slept. He had to be working somewhere probably 18 or 20 hours out of every 24 hours. He had three jobs. He would literally doze off mid-sentence while talking sometimes.

You can do it without making much money IF you don't have massive debt, expensive tastes (such as new cars and vacations), and you have a partner who contributes (girlfriend or wife). If you don't have a partner, then you may have to do overtime or work multiple jobs. (Having a partner who contributes is really no different from living with parents because someone else is helping pay the bills; even women who move out often share their apartments with two or more girlfriends.)

The only thing that perplexes me everyday is, who is it that's buying the $600,000 homes? I think it has to be people in their 50s with their two pensions each for both husband and wife.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

CB8 wrote:
gnosis wrote:the reason many Americans work multiple jobs is that they have no choice. If it's work two jobs and eat or work one job and not eat, people tend to take the extra job.
I'd rather just eat less and live frugally than take the extra job. Ghost is right that for single men it's a lot easier to work less, just enough to cover your own needs, and then focus on your own hobbies.
Partially because many of those single men are living at home with their parents. Their parents are subsidizing their living costs.
traveller
Junior Poster

Post by traveller »

It sounds like America for the most part is just as bad as, if not worse than, Mexico in terms of living. Working 2 full time jobs to make ends meet is a sign that America is becoming like a third world country for the middle class.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

traveller wrote:It sounds like America for the most part is just as bad as, if not worse than, Mexico in terms of living
The problem is that it's a hell of a lot more expensive than Mexico.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

gnosis wrote:
traveller wrote:It sounds like America for the most part is just as bad as, if not worse than, Mexico in terms of living
Exactly, at least in Mexico, the cost of living is very low and women are a lot friendly than they are in America. :D
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

jamesbond wrote:
gnosis wrote:
Exactly, at least in Mexico, the cost of living is very low and women are a lot friendly than they are in America. :D
I find Mexico better for living than the US of Gay. For instance where I'm at, I only pay 150-160 a month for rent, and the city is walkable that I don't need a car. Plus, people in Mexico usually live with their families whereas people north of the border are expected to be independent at a certain age.

Second wave feminism is one of the big reasons the cost of living in the USA is ridiculously high. Once women started working en masse, companies raised prices and slashed wages, and the government raised taxes.
CB8
Freshman Poster

Post by CB8 »

traveller wrote:Working 2 full time jobs to make ends meet is a sign that America is becoming like a third world country for the middle class.
True. One thing I really disagree with Winston about was his point that America is a great place for making money. I suppose it's true if you make your money while already living abroad (like an online business), but if you live in America the cost of living will eat up most of your earnings.