A recent situation in my class highlights why I hate American culture and don't fit in

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

A recent situation in my class highlights why I hate American culture and don't fit in

Post by GoingAwol »

In my online graphic design class yesterday, we were given an assignment where we had to make a design of our names that reflected our personalities and tastes. I designed my name with a simple font that featured blocky letters. I thought my design looked good and I was proud of it. When I presented it in front of the class, though, I was shocked. I explained that I liked the font because it was simple but looks cool and modern at the same time. As soon as I said that the professor cut me off and said "Never use the word simple in this class again. That is an ugly word." He then proceeded to cut down my whole design with that fake ass extroverted American smile. After I was done presenting I turned off my camera and microphone and cussed out and gave the finger to his smug face on the screen.

That whole scenario sums up American culture. Anything that is simple and understated is misunderstood or despised. It's all about being loud, over the top, and cool. Other students used more flashy fonts and said shit like "This font fits my personality because I am bold and out there" and they got praise. America is very rejecting of people who don't fit into that loud and extroverted mold. I felt attacked and insulted.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Re: A recent situation in my class highlights why I hate American culture and don't fit in

Post by Shemp »

Why are you even taking this class? Graphic design, like a lot of other jobs, is something you can either do or you can't do. If you can do it, there is work, whether or not you have a degree, other than as an employee with the government or educational institutions where they are nitpicky about accredited degrees. If you can do good work, simply start a business and contract out for jobs. If you want to, you can buy a degree in theology from various churches, even a doctoral degree. Or just award yourself such a degree and save $25: "GoingAwol holds a bachelor degree in philosophy and a doctoral degree in theology, and later studied graphical design, both at university (without degree) and independently, before starting his own company." Right now, you're paying you be insulted, all for the sake of a piece of paper that is probably worth no more than the bullshit sentence in quotes.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: A recent situation in my class highlights why I hate American culture and don't fit in

Post by fschmidt »

GoingAwol wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 8:56 am
America is very rejecting of people who don't fit into that loud and extroverted mold. I felt attacked and insulted.
Would you feel insulted if a rabid dog barked at you? Being rejected by American scum should be taken as a complement. If you want feedback from decent people, ask a religious Muslim or a traditional Anabaptist.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

Shemp wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:01 am
Why are you even taking this class? Graphic design, like a lot of other jobs, is something you can either do or you can't do. If you can do it, there is work, whether or not you have a degree, other than as an employee with the government or educational institutions where they are nitpicky about accredited degrees. If you can do good work, simply start a business and contract out for jobs. If you want to, you can buy a degree in theology from various churches, even a doctoral degree. Or just award yourself such a degree and save $25: "GoingAwol holds a bachelor degree in philosophy and a doctoral degree in theology, and later studied graphical design, both at university (without degree) and independently, before starting his own company." Right now, you're paying you be insulted, all for the sake of a piece of paper that is probably worth no more than the bullshit sentence in quotes.
I'm taking the class to learn how to do graphic design. That is the whole point of taking a class as far as I know.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

GoingAwol wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 1:22 pm
I'm taking the class to learn how to do graphic design. That is the whole point of taking a class as far as I know.
Actually, most people take classes for the credential, degree or certificate of completion. That's the sorry reality of the ripoff higher "edumacation" racket. Sometimes, if you get a good instructor or click with a good group of students, you learn faster from formal education than self-education. Sounds like you did not get lucky wth instructor or fellow students.

Those who really want to learn always learn best by themselves, especially for something like graphics arts. For something like public administration, where ass-kissing is the real skill to be mastered, then formal education is best, because the ass-kissing in class is good practice for similar ass-kissing on the job. Plus public administration is big on government approved credentials, and you have to resort to formal education to get those.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

Shemp wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 1:35 pm
GoingAwol wrote:
Actually, most people take classes for the credential, degree or certificate of completion. That's the sorry reality of the ripoff higher "edumacation" racket. Sometimes, if you get a good instructor or click with a good group of students, you learn faster from formal education than self-education. Sounds like you did not get lucky wth instructor or fellow students.

Those who really want to learn always learn best by themselves, especially for something like graphics arts. For something like public administration, where ass-kissing is the real skill to be mastered, then formal education is best, because the ass-kissing in class is good practice for similar ass-kissing on the job. Plus public administration is big on government approved credentials, and you have to resort to formal education to get those.
Well, I'm in a funded grad school program, so I'm not paying for the class. I just decided to take it as an elective. Plus I am not really self motivated, so being in the class forces me to develop my skills and learn how to use the softwares I need to do graphic design.
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

@GoingAwol Shemp is saying that graphic design is not something you can fully learn from classes because you either have art skills and years of practice or you don't. They have been a big earner for the schools because there are a lot of people who don't want to face reality and they get told they'll be making beaucoup bucks after they finish a few graphic design courses. If you're a natural then you can get hired without the proper credentials and they won't help you much if you're not. You can make more money by studying for something that doesn't require a natural talent or by ignoring education and working in a field where you are gifted.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

GoingAwol wrote:
Shemp wrote:
Pay no mind to this one GoingAwol. He's a seemingly depressed and toxically bitter old guy who hates reading about others' plans for furthering their successes and accomplishing larger goals. He has a zero sum game mentality because he feels others planning to do well leaves him behind to languish as a purposeless loser living Kiev. So to combat that feeling, he tends to incessantly naysay and paint otherwise wonderful ideas as "Stupid." It's good to have that context in mind when you encounter his particular brand of untreated psychopathy.

Graphic Arts is a great discipline to study and master. I have a friend who lives abroad and she lives entirely off of her online graphic design income. But just as there are toxic personalities on this forum, there are toxic professors in universities that we have to game to reach our objectives. My older brother taught me that whatever problem I was having with a particularly cantakerous professor, I should just do what I could to get an "A." I bit my tongue the entire semester and indeed earned my A. Ironically, that professor later nominated me for a White House Fellowship to my utter shock.

So the moral of the story is dealing with difficult professors is teaching you to finesse difficult people you will definitely encounter in your professional life. Guys like Old Man @Shemp never developed that ability so they consider it "kissing ass," but you have to see that type of bitterness for what it is worth from a guy like him.

Good luck to you.
josephty2
Freshman Poster

Post by josephty2 »

Shemp wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 1:35 pm
GoingAwol wrote:

Agreed, there is "educational luck" needed. You get a good instructor, good classmates, good school, flow. Ever heard of Feng Shui, I think the forum administrator heard of it, since its commonly used in Taiwan.
Then again, some people go all the way (cognitive dissonance/fallacy of incomplete evidence).

Eat dates.

The problem is iphones.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

GoingAwol wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 8:56 am
That whole scenario sums up American culture. Anything that is simple and understated is misunderstood or despised. It's all about being loud, over the top, and cool. Other students used more flashy fonts and said shit like "This font fits my personality because I am bold and out there" and they got praise. America is very rejecting of people who don't fit into that loud and extroverted mold. I felt attacked and insulted.

America is a good country for extroverts and people who like to 'show off' but it's a poor country for those of us who are introverts and don't like to brag and show off.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 5:18 pm
GoingAwol wrote:
Shemp wrote:
Pay no mind to this one GoingAwol. He's a seemingly depressed and toxically bitter old guy who hates reading about others' plans for furthering their successes and accomplishing larger goals. He has a zero sum game mentality because he feels others planning to do well leaves him behind to languish as a purposeless loser living Kiev. So to combat that feeling, he tends to incessantly naysay and paint otherwise wonderful ideas as "Stupid." It's good to have that context in mind when you encounter his particular brand of untreated psychopathy.

Graphic Arts is a great discipline to study and master. I have a friend who lives abroad and she lives entirely off of her online graphic design income. But just as there are toxic personalities on this forum, there are toxic professors in universities that we have to game to reach our objectives. My older brother taught me that whatever problem I was having with a particularly cantakerous professor, I should just do what I could to get an "A." I bit my tongue the entire semester and indeed earned my A. Ironically, that professor later nominated me for a White House Fellowship to my utter shock.

So the moral of the story is dealing with difficult professors is teaching you to finesse difficult people you will definitely encounter in your professional life. Guys like Old Man @Shemp never developed that ability so they consider it "kissing ass," but you have to see that type of bitterness for what it is worth from a guy like him.

Good luck to you.
Thanks! I did end up with an A and a few cool portfolio pieces.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

GoingAwol wrote:
Shemp wrote:

Good luck to you.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

GoingAwol wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 8:50 pm
GoingAwol wrote:
Shemp wrote:

Good luck to you.
Great to have another winner amongst us!
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

August 15th, 2020, 9:15 pm
Great to have another winner amongst us!
@GoingAwol, congratulations with your course!

@Contrarian Expatriate...still stuck with this "winners vs losers" mentality. The mind of a 14 year old trapped in a body 40 years older. I think @Shemp was only pointing out that many online degrees are next to worthless and won't be a complete replacement for lack of talent (which, I believe, @GoingAwol possesses). OP probably chose a decent course and is rightfully happy about his choice, and his grades.