Why do so many American women have tattoos nowadays?

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Kunold
Freshman Poster

Why do so many American women have tattoos nowadays?

Post by Kunold »

I was reading about my demographic and how so many Generation Ys http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/ar ... -container "For Gen Yers, tattoos are common: 40% have at least one. 18% have six or more. Plus one-fourth of Millennials have a body piercing that's not in an earlobe."

have Tattoos and got to wondering if this was common on foreign women, and it still seems to be with my limited research but im sure this is changing

check out this chick from Indonesia for example http://www.dateinasia.com/febriana.html I don't think her Muslim faith influenced her on getting those tattoos I think she watched to many La Ink reruns

I just don't know what kind of men women who get tattoos like this are trying to attract but im sure its probably the biker/badboy type

http://www.accesshollywood.com/kat-von- ... icle_36467

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

FreeYourMind
Freshman Poster

Post by FreeYourMind »

I'm old enough to remember when only men had tattoos, and only a small minority of them did. The ones who had them were usually blue-collar workers who prided themselves on their toughness. Some men got them while in the military service, too.

I have never liked tattoos on a woman, especially those that have many of them. So many young people get them to look "cool," but when so many people have them they aren't cool anymore, rather a sign of a conformist. Most young people don't know how to question authority and are easily herded. Also, tattoos and piercings can be a kind of self-mutilation for those who don't have healthier ways to deal with their frustrations and anxieties.
Vicbowling
Freshman Poster

Post by Vicbowling »

I really think it depends on the individual. Some tattoos are like art and tend to look good on anyone. Placement, quantity, and design really come into play when judging someone for their ink choices. In any genre of fashion, you do tend to have people that do go to the extremes and maybe this is what you both are referring too. Tattoos are not only a form of expression but also a anthropological tradition and ritual for many cultures, so in a way it is deeply ingrained in many cultures and isn't just a new trend affecting North American women.

Post by djfourmoney »

I agree with Vic's post, I would just like to add -

I don't mind tattoos but I'm tired of "tramp stamps" and I think its masculine to get "I love mom" style tats on your upper arm if your a woman. In Germany tats seem to be popular so I don't think its just in America.
Jake
Freshman Poster

Post by Jake »

Women with tattoos equals tramp stamps.
rome86
Freshman Poster

Post by rome86 »

a small tattoo I can tolerate but not until it covers the whole body or a big part of it - that is just nasty
hello
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

The moment I see a tattoo on a woman I loose all interest.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

Tattoos are a deal breaker for me now. I have, in the past, dated and f***ed chicks with tattoos but now I live in Asia.

Only tramps, hookers and gang-bangers get them here. Off limits.

Fortunately it is very uncommon here, although there is a street in Shanghai that has 20 or 30 tattoo parlors in one block.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

Vicbowling wrote:I really think it depends on the individual. Some tattoos are like art and tend to look good on anyone. Placement, quantity, and design really come into play when judging someone for their ink choices. In any genre of fashion, you do tend to have people that do go to the extremes and maybe this is what you both are referring too. Tattoos are not only a form of expression but also a anthropological tradition and ritual for many cultures, so in a way it is deeply ingrained in many cultures and isn't just a new trend affecting North American women.
An anthropological tradition for stone age hominids and cavemen.

If that is what you want to convey then the rest of us will note who you are emulating and who your peer group is.

That is, your peer group is cave men.

All tattoos instantly reveal that the person has bad judgment and is a slave to current societal trends and fads.

When I grew up in the 70's and very early 80's only 3 types of people had tattoos:

Sailors
Military
Bikers

If you are not a man in those 3 groups then your tattoo is a fad as you conform to the current bullshit trend.

It was, and is, a sign of lower class values.

If many people are doing it, that is just a sign that many people in the USA now have lower class values.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

MrPeabody wrote:The moment I see a tattoo on a woman I loose all interest.
I agree! Even if I see a hot chick, if she has a tattoo, I am no longer interested in her. Fads are big in America, most young people are trying to "fit in" so they figure, "hey, tattoos seem to be the new fad, I guess I'll get one too."

Conformity and trying to fit in are the main staples of American culture. Welcome to the USA! :lol:
Kunold
Freshman Poster

Post by Kunold »

Same: The moment I see a tattoo on a woman I loose all interest.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

I mean as a fetish thing I think I could date but maybe not married a tatted up woman. Too many of them seem to have Betty Page fetishes though and I can do without that...
Greetercb
Freshman Poster

Post by Greetercb »

The Tattoo Business is one of the MANY reasons why I do Not want A
American Woman for a Wife.
Asia Outback
Freshman Poster

Post by Asia Outback »

You are right about the tats- tramp stamps, landing lights, or hand grips...high mileage girls.
Unless you are around bar girls, tats are very rare in the Philippines- I don't recall ever seeing
a mainstream girl with a tat as it pretty well brands a girl as a whore.

Jake
ExpeditionSailor
Freshman Poster

Post by ExpeditionSailor »

globetrotter wrote:
Vicbowling wrote:I really think it depends on the individual. Some tattoos are like art and tend to look good on anyone. Placement, quantity, and design really come into play when judging someone for their ink choices. In any genre of fashion, you do tend to have people that do go to the extremes and maybe this is what you both are referring too. Tattoos are not only a form of expression but also a anthropological tradition and ritual for many cultures, so in a way it is deeply ingrained in many cultures and isn't just a new trend affecting North American women.
An anthropological tradition for stone age hominids and cavemen.

If that is what you want to convey then the rest of us will note who you are emulating and who your peer group is.

That is, your peer group is cave men.

All tattoos instantly reveal that the person has bad judgment and is a slave to current societal trends and fads.

When I grew up in the 70's and very early 80's only 3 types of people had tattoos:

Sailors
Military
Bikers

If you are not a man in those 3 groups then your tattoo is a fad as you conform to the current bullshit trend.

It was, and is, a sign of lower class values.

If many people are doing it, that is just a sign that many people in the USA now have lower class values.
You've really hit the nail on the head here - what you said exactly reflects how I feel about tattoos. I find tattoos do not look good on women, and they look
like trailer trash when they get them. Not only that, but tats tend to detract from whatever natural beauty they have. I say that because I find that when I see a woman with a big tat, the first thing my eye is drawn to is the tattoo, and not the woman. Tats are distracting and a turn-off. But it doesn't surprise me that women are going for tats these days - not only can they not think critically for themselves, but they seem to have become incorrigible attention whores, looking for any attention, even if it's negative.

I remember a time when women wouldn't dream of getting tattoos - anywhere, anytime. What the hell happened to those values?

In summary, I think tats are emblematic of the rot infecting North American culture generally these days - it's a reality-TV kind of world, where people put their brains in park, and they look at what they see on TV as normal, and think that living in a Lord of the Flies kind of world is a good thing.